Projected Balance does not agree with my checking account

jeyates1
jeyates1 Member ✭✭
My projected balances graph and my checking account disagree as to the balance on any given date (at the End-of-Day). I depend heavily on the Project Balance for at least a year into the future. They have been agreeing for years; I don't know how recently this started, but I would say within the last 1-3 weeks. There are NO Bill or Income reminders past due, nor due by 9/30 that are not already in the checking account. See the info below.
Date Projected Bal. Checking Acct Difference
9/24 $10317.19 $28394.75 $18077.56
9/28 $4509.68 $22587.24 $18077.56
9/30 $2027.68 $20105.24 $18077.56
So there is a missing $18077.56 in the projected balance. I cannot find an entry for this amount anywhere.
As another example, if, on the Projected Balances graph, I click on the 10/2/20 bubble, it shows an Opening Balance of $5807.79, adds/deletes of +$597.63 and a closing balance of +$398.75. The next day then shows a delete of $198.03, but a closing balance of -$1,200.28. Some days in the future are correct, some are wrong. I don't know what has happened in the past.
John Yates [Removed-Email Privacy]

Best Answers

• jeyates1
    jeyates1 Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    THAT WAS IT! There were 3 hidden recurring "overdue" transactions dating back 5, 12 and 16 months (obviously more than just the beginning in Sept). In retrospect, each was when I had a problem editing a recurring transaction and it "disappeared", so I created new ones in their places. The oldest 2 were small so I didn't notice, but the last one built up to the $18.000 number in 5 months. Starting with the oldest date for each "overdue" recurrence, I could just delete the memorized recurring transaction. The annoying thing is that they never appeared on the monthly Bill and Income Reminders (Home Page), only on the Calendar view, which I never knew existed. I've been using quicken since 1983, and this is the first time for this. Thanks!! :)

Answers

• Rich_M
    Rich_M SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure you're projected balances aren't including accounts other than checking?
    Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10 Pro
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @jeyates1

I would suggest that you do some file troubleshooting - see this guidance located at this LINK

Let us know how that goes.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription Ver. 34.24 - Windows 10-Home Version
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• jeyates1
    jeyates1 Member ✭✭
    I am sure that the only account being included in the projection is Checking. I had tried the file validation just before I entered this problem onto this Community board. In the LINK process above, I did not have the latest update, so updated to R29.12, then validated again. Validate again found no problems.
    John
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Do you use QuickPay?  I'm not sure it is related but this discussion might apply:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20117161
    Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2021
  • Movie Nut
    Movie Nut Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    I too have a problem with Projected Balances. I am on R29.12. I am looking at only my Checking Account and starting in Oct, the first 2 reminders are income and are correct, then next 2 reminders (fixed amounts) are bills and again the totals are correct the next 4 reminders are for payments to my credit cards and I have manually entered the correct amounts for Oct payments from Checking. Here the projected balance is off by $2716.83, which does not match any amounts I have in Quicken. I do not use Bill Pay. Copied my file and ran the Validation process. Results were "Quicken found a damaged scheduled reminder and removed it".
    After Validation my results are still off, but only by $47.89, which does not match any transaction on my file. Ran Validation 2nd time and NO Errors found.
    "No Matter Where You Go, There You Are"
    Windows 10 Pro, Quicken Subscription
  • jeyates1
    jeyates1 Member ✭✭
    That's very similar to what I am seeing - but I assume you meant it started in Sept. I would say 2-4 weeks ago, which would be Sept. Looking at the Projected Balances graph and expanding a given day, on many days the Beginning Balance, plus, minus the day's transactions, it shows a closing balance that is WRONG by large amounts, For example
    $7430.94 Opening Balance 10/2/20
    $597.63 Additions + payments on 10/2/20
    =======
    $2121.90 Closing Balance 10/2/20 - Obviously wrong
    On some days, the calculation is correct, but not on many days.

I just added a large amount to my checking account yesterday, and the opening amount on today only went up by about two thousand dollars.

I have ran Validation several times and ever Super Validation and none have found any problems.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Just curious, does your October calendar show correct or wrong balances?  A recent post showed multiple repeated transactions in their calendar.
    Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2021
  • Movie Nut
    Movie Nut Member ✭✭✭
    Yes the problem started in late Sept. not sure exact date. When I stated Oct, I was referring to the Projected Balances, as all my Sept bill reminders have been paid. I just now found my offset amount. I have pre-entered two transactions in my Checking account for Oct 3rd (one deposit and one payment) which net out to $47.89. It would appear my Projected Balance is now correct after Validation removed some damaged scheduled reminder. Wished the validation report had reported the details of the remove reminder. I now suspect recent changes cause the problem and the "damaged reminder" did not cause a problem until recently.
    "No Matter Where You Go, There You Are"
    Windows 10 Pro, Quicken Subscription
  • jeyates1
    jeyates1 Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    THAT WAS IT! There were 3 hidden recurring "overdue" transactions dating back 5, 12 and 16 months (obviously more than just the beginning in Sept). In retrospect, each was when I had a problem editing a recurring transaction and it "disappeared", so I created new ones in their places. The oldest 2 were small so I didn't notice, but the last one built up to the $18.000 number in 5 months. Starting with the oldest date for each "overdue" recurrence, I could just delete the memorized recurring transaction. The annoying thing is that they never appeared on the monthly Bill and Income Reminders (Home Page), only on the Calendar view, which I never knew existed. I've been using quicken since 1983, and this is the first time for this. Thanks!! :)
  • Wade Shanley
    Wade Shanley Member ✭✭
    Im having the same issue as above. I followed some of the investigation work and went to bills /income calendar view and for some odd reason, the income calendar is showing 5 duplicate reminder entries for my paycheck reminder. I have no idea how it generated 5 duplicates. Is it best to just delete them all and start over? This is just such a mess. This projected balance feature used to work flawlessly up until about Sept then just started getting really buggy with really wacky negative forecasts, now it was showing my income balance about 10x what was in my checking. So frustrated with Quicken lately.
  • jeyates1
    jeyates1 Member ✭✭
    Using the Calendar View allowed me to delete the "overdue" transactions. The problem has not recurred since Sept 2020.
  • jeyates1
    jeyates1 Member ✭✭
    Referring to my discussion 'Projected Balance does not agree with my checking account" in Sept 2020, the problem has reappeared with a vengeance. The problem then was that some scheduled payment transactions (while showing up only once on the Bill and Reminders view) were duplicated many times on the calendar view on their respective due date (typically 15 or more times on the same due date, and every month after that). This causes the Projected Balance to quickly decrease, and even go negative, when it is actually quite positive. A couple weeks ago the problem came back, with 5 scheduled transactions showing multiple times on their due date. I have deleted the multiple transactions and recreated them, then closed and reopened Quicken to verify that the 5 are only there once each. This appears to stay OK for a few hours/days, then the same 5 reappear again. I have now deleted/recreated these 5 duplicated transactions several times in the last 2-4 weeks and they keep coming back. Three are AMEX credit card charges, one is a Discover credit card payment, and one is a checking payment.
    I observed today, that only one transaction was duplicated on it due date in the current month (in the past, all 5 have sometimes shown up at the same time). But after repairing that scheduled transaction, the next one immediately appeared, and so on until all 5 had appeared and been repaired. No more appeared after that. Closing and reopening Quicken, they did not appear immediately duplicated. But if past history recurs, they will show up in a few hours/days.
  • MissyErnie
    MissyErnie Member
    My issue is a check I deposited, does not appear in Projections. Bank has it cleared.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @MissyErnie,

You posted your item in a very old thread and it may therefore not get responses. 

I would suggest that you start a new thread.  In addition, I would suggest that you provide as much information as possible (including but not limited to the financial institution's name) and also indicate the versions of both Quicken and Windows that you are currently running.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription Ver. 34.24 - Windows 10-Home Version
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• jeyates1
    jeyates1 Member ✭✭
    These (incorrect posts) reminded me that this is still a very big problem for me. I have the latest Quicken desktop version - R35.31. I use Bill and Income Reminders heavily. In the Calendar view, starting the next month and continuing monthly forever, there about 5 monthly Bill Reminders that are repeated about 15 times (for example my Discover payment = $500) in the calendar view for the given due date. This in turn throws my Projected Balances view off by the extra 14 * $500 = $7000 for each month. When I delete all the 15 reminders in the Calendar view (for the first bad month), then recreate only one recurring Bill Reminder, the Projected Balances view is good. That stays for a couple days until the problem comes back again. This has been going on for a full year now, thru several Quicken updates.