Vanguard transition

I just did the transition. Haven't gone thoroughly through it yet, but it looks like old accounts closed, and new ones opened.
I noticed my cost history did not carry over. What do I do now?

Best Answer

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    "I noticed my cost history did not carry over. What do I do now?"
    I'll assume that you transferred the shares from old Account(s) to new Account(s) using the "Shares Transferred Between Accounts" action.  If that's correct then the securities should now be established in the new Account(s), one "Add" action for each lot of each security, and with cost basis correctly stated.
    The "history", i.e., the transactions which ultimately resulted in the securities you had in the "from" Accounts immediately before the transfer, remain in the old Accounts, which is exactly where those transactions took place in the "real world." 
  • Wayne Daren
    Wayne Daren Member ✭✭✭
    I just updated via Quicken. Quicken just added shares to the new accounts and "removed shares" from the old accounts.
  • miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    You should either delete all the downloaded add shares in the new account or Restore a Backup before this occurred.

Then go to the old account and use Shares Transferred Between Accounts to move everything to the new account and that WILL preserve the cost basis.

Next time you update from there, you should be able to match up the remove transaction and add transactions that match (or just delete them in lieu of matching)

PS: I just transitioned an account using Shares Transferred Between Accounts before I downloaded and all was fine and correct
  • Wayne Daren
    Wayne Daren Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I will try that over the weekend.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wayne Daren said: I just did the transition.
    just curious.... I haven't done it yet.
    did you just click the Vanguard Transition This Account text icon -
    or did you call Vanguard to request it -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• miklk
    Just clicked the button, answered a few questions, and the new empty brokerage account was there and able to be added to Quicken. 
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    I did the transition for one account earlier this year.  I deactivated, cleared the account number from Account Details and then reactivated, linking my existing account in Quicken to the new account at Vanguard.  Deleted the unneeded downloads.  Account history intact like it never happened.
  • miklk
    Yes, that is fine also and less work for sure. (That is how I always do credit card account changes etc..)

For me, I like my investments to be precise and I really did the new account mainly because they will be issuing a separate 1099 for the old and the new account and I like investment tracking to be exact.
  • Wayne Daren
    Wayne Daren Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm always nervous about playing with Quicken's payees or account settings. More than once it has caused Quicken to become inert.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just did the transition. Haven't gone thoroughly through it yet, but it looks like old accounts closed, and new ones opened.
    I noticed my cost history did not carry over. What do I do now?
    Hi @Wayne Daren,

Just clarifying - when you say "my cost history did not carry over" - do you mean to say that "the individual transactions that form my cost basis did not carry over but my historical cost basis did"?  I am thinking that is what actually happened - right?

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -