Why are my reminders suddenly no longer automatically entering into my accounts?

Robert Kassnel
Robert Kassnel Member ✭✭✭
Discussion for this issue (20099257) was closed, but it is not resolved. It is a bug because it used to work properly. The feature allows me to select "Automatically enter the transaction in the register nn days before the due date." It no longer works and the workaround steps are annoying. Thanks.

Best Answer

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Robert Kassnel

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a response. 

We will need a bit more information to be able to assist. Please take a moment to review the information here and post back with the year and version of Quicken you are currently running.

Are these reminders linked to any online billers? Does this occur for every biller or only specific billers?

The more information you can provide regarding this issue will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Robert Kassnel
    edited September 2020
    Thanks for following up. I am running Quicken Deluxe 2020, Version R28.24, Build 27.1.28.24 on Windows 10 Home.

I don't set up communication between Quicken and my billers.
    I use Bill and Income Reminders only for bills and income that are the same every month and that are paid/deposited from/into my checking account or a credit card.

I do automatically download transactions from these accounts and I want to see my reminder transactions show "Match" instead of "New" on the downloaded transaction list.

To the best of my knowledge, this issue occurs for all of my bill and income reminders.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Robert Kassnel

Thank you for the additional details, may I ask how you handled downloaded transactions?

Do you review the transactions in the downloaded transaction tab or do they immediately go into the register?

Also, in reviewing your OP, discussion number 20099257 is not meaningful to me I apologize. I have searched the Community as well as support and was unable to locate any information on an issue associated with this number.

If this is a discussion on the Community, may I ask that you provide the link to the discussion so that I may research this a bit further?

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Robert Kassnel
    I review downloaded transactions. I don't allow automatic entry of downloaded transactions into the register. When I accept a transaction that is associated with a reminder it asks me if it's a match with an overdue reminder. I click Yes and it accepts the transaction. The reminder is not overdue because it should have been automatically entered into the register 5 days earlier (that's the number of days I chose for automatic entry of my reminders). This used to work perfectly. The link to the previous discussion: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20099257#Comment_20099257
  • Hello @Robert Kassnel,

Thank you for providing a detailed explanation of your issue and the additional information requested by @Quicken_Tyka, though I apologize that you have not yet received a follow-up response.

I tested your issue to see if I could replicate it but was unsuccessful in doing so as the feature worked as expected within my own Quicken program. For this reason, the first thing that I suggest you try (if you haven't already) is to validate your data file by following the steps below--
    1. First Save a backup of your data file (just in case) 
    2. Go to File
    3. File Operations
    4. Validate and Repair
    5. Validate File
    6. Ok
    7. Close the data log that will pop-up after the validation has completed
    8. Close Quicken
    9. Wait at least 5 seconds
    10. Reopen Quicken
    11. Try again to see if the issue reoccurs/remains the same or gets corrected
    You can also try super validating which are the same steps as above except that you will hold Ctrl and Shift on your keyboard when clicking on Validate and Repair in order to get the option for Super Validate.

Alternatively, should the above instructions fail to resolve your issue, then the next thing I suggest you try is to uninstall/reinstall the program and see if that makes any difference.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• After the most recent update (R28.24 - Build 27.1.28.24) none of my scheduled transactions set for Auto entry are getting entered into registers. This has happened at least twice over the last ten days. I can't find anything (preferences) that looks like it may have been changed. Anyone having similar? Any ideas of what to look for? Thanks. ~fm
  • SeaStar
    SeaStar Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Same problem here: Scheduled transactions suddenly fail to automatically enter in account registers on date specified by User. My settings and versions mimic what Robert reported. Identical problem occurred in same reported time frame. Users lost a valuable time-saving tool.
  • SeaStar
    SeaStar Member ✭✭✭
    This efficient feature for automatic entry of scheduled transaction worked fine for years until I noticed failure Sept 2020. In search of cause, there are discrepancies between my Quicken settings and what shows on screen. One inconsistency is seen after opening Tools > Manage Bill & Income Reminders. The column titled Action shows transaction is set to “auto” enter transactions without additional User action. But transactions don’t enter. Next, clicking on ‘Edit Bill Reminder’ showed ‘Remind me’ instead of ‘Automatic entry.” Latter was previously set and definitely not changed by User. Plus “Automatic entry” aligns with the “auto” shown on Manage Bill & Income Reminders chart.

Here are steps taken:
    1. Open Tools > Manage Bill & Income Reminders.
    Action column displays (Auto) as if the selected transaction is queued for automatic entry.

2. Click “Edit” Bill Reminder > Optional Settings > Auto enter xx days in advance (change).

a. Even though Action column above shows Auto entry, this screen showed “Remind me in XX days” as marked.

b. User manually re-selected "Automatically enter the transaction in register XX days before due date." Note this is how several transactions were set for years but got changed to 2.a above without User editing the field.

3. It’s unknown if user changes will hold for next month’s automatic entries.
  • Robert Kassnel
    Thank you SeaStar. My reminders had not reverted to "remind me." They remained set to "automatically enter," but the feature stopped working. I performed the 11 steps provided by Quicken Anja. I won't know if that worked for a couple of days. Again, thanks for seconding my issue.
  • Robert Kassnel
    Quicken Sarah, I will take the steps you suggest if Quicken Anja's solution does not work. Thanks.
  • davidca
    davidca Member ✭✭
    I have several reminders set up to auto entry 0 days in advance. Always has worked until recently.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have several auto entry reminders and not had this problem.  How are the reminders displayed after the auto entry date?  What version and build are you running?

Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2023

• davidca
    davidca Member ✭✭
    Running R29.16 , 27.1.29.16
    They show up in the calendar as late in red color like they were not entered. I have to manually enter them from the calendar.
    I've had these working fine for years. Now they don't work. The problem is with both income and expense reminders too.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I don't have any reminders set to 0 days.  I would probably try re-setting a couple reminders to 1 day in advance and see if they auto enter.  I don't use the calendar much but I assume if they are red there, the actual reminder shows as Overdue in the Bills & Income list and also in your register.  

Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2023

• John S.
    John S. Member ✭✭
    edited October 2020
    I am having the same problem for about 2 months now. Some Auto reminders that have worked for months suddenly no longer auto enter. The Reminder becomes Overdue in the reminders pane. I tried recreating the failing reminder and it still doesn't work.

I am on ver R29.16, running on a Win 10 system. Could one of the many recent updates have broken something?

I just validated and found one damaged reminder, said it deleted it, but I reloaded a backup and can't see that one is missing. This time I altered the date and will have the reminder try again in a couple days.
  • budhein
    budhein Member
    I have a similar problem.. One monthly paycheck auto processed 4 times on 9/30. I deleted the extra transactions. I Ignore the auto but the next day it reappears. This has now happened daily since 10/1.
  • SeaStar
    SeaStar Member ✭✭✭
    I’d appreciate feedback if others continue to experience Failed Auto Entry of Scheduled Transactions. Beginning several month ago, many Users reported this problem. It continues with my Quicken Premiere 2020 (Version R30.14; Build 27.1.30.14) since program no longer automatically enters multiple monthly transactions like Quicken used to do. Several such transfers and payments remain queued in Bills & Income > Scheduled Transactions but now require manual addition or manual open and "ENTER" by User.
    Please provide a working solution to restore functionality of this convenient, time-saving Auto Entry tool. Thanks, all.
  • The solution that DAVIDCA in October 2020 works.
    read this announcement :
    https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-bill-pay-discontinuation-payments-and-reminders
    the reminder and auto enter ; I have been using only to register to the accounts and to see my cashflow and not for generating payments/check or link to the biller/payor.
    Yes it stopped working in certain extend for some reason since September 2020 and I could still enter manually then in Jan 2021 there is no way to enter from the account itself, which the reminder did register one side only.
    DAVIDCA mentioned to go to TOOLS|CALENDAR, select the transaction or overdue transaction, then hit "ENTER" button and both will be showing on the proper accounts.
    Unfortunately I cannot do screent shot attachment here

Thanks DAVIDCA

I was on the phone with support earlier but did not seems helping much.
    my version is 2020 v R31.12 build 27.1.31.12
  • Add a note and suggestion to Quicken team :
    - the more I think about the changes the makes sense that Quicken wants users to change our way of works. The reminder works, it enter to the account with 'mark' red AUTO, blue AUTO etc, and this is only happens on "sched" or schedule type. In my case my bank account vs the mortgage schedule payment.
    it is a GOOD reminder that not necessarily the transaction/s takes place YET.
    What I mean is we schedule it, but the transaction does not take place because lack of fund, meaning we have not paid the mortgage. This will create error in reporting. So Quicken I guess made extra layer to make sure we get reminded without actually post the transaction itself on both sides (debit credit accounting principal)

+ on suggestion to developer, they should make an extra selection on the drop down ie : go to Calendar and complete to enter transaction.
    right now only : Ship, Edit and Delete.
    + in TOOLS|Bill and Income reminders there should be a pop up of message stating a new way to execute the transaction reminder after it was introduced with new version.
    I am sure I missed the new update message everytime they release new version, but would really read that nowadays

I hope this is helpful
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @theSPYwhoLovesME,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and sharing your suggestions.

If you would like to make an official request for this, then I suggest that you create an idea post and add your vote. This way other users who have the same or a similar request can vote on your idea.

Our Development and Product teams frequently use our idea posts in order to improve Quicken and implement new features requested by customers.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Robert Kassnel
    Agreed Dr. Bob. This should be treated as a bug fix, not an enhancement request.
  • Deejer87
    Deejer87 Member
    Same problem here just started for me. Not sure what the "solution" by DavidCA is exactly. From what I can tell Quicken changed how a basic function works. A simple function that many of us have used for years. I don't want or need another calendar in my life. I have used Quicken since 2000 and have never looked at the calendar. I also agree with Dr. Bob 100%. If I setup an automatic transaction to AUTOMATICALLY enter in register 5 days before it is due, it should do that.

This is either an enhancement that should have never happened or a BUG! Another question, why is this happening for different people at different times? This thread started in September.

Quicken version v R31.20 build 27.1.31.12
  • Robert Kassnel
    Agree!
  • SeaStar
    SeaStar Member ✭✭✭
    I agree, too. Come on, Quicken, a fix is long overdue. Users flagged this problem many, many months ago and bug persists way too long. Current situation is ineffective for efficient money management.
  • JudyBug4
    JudyBug4 Member
    This is one of the reasons I liked using Quicken because it would automatically enter transactions and keep my balance up to date, preparing me for upcoming bills. Having lost this feature makes Quicken nothing more than a check register for me, where I have to go record and make every entry. This is a feature that many people have used for years. Why should it have been taken away and the ability to determine why it is not working and preparing a "fix" for it has not been done before now. This has been an obvious problem for many months. When can we expect this "BUG" to be "FIXED"
  • Robert Kassnel
    Thank you to JudyBug4 and all the others who are chiming in on this thread. I kicked this off six months ago now. Can’t believe it’s still not fixed.
  • SeaStar
    SeaStar Member ✭✭✭
    I whole-heartedly agree that a fix is long overdue. Automatic entry worked seamlessly for many years and was promoted as a game changing time-saver when first released. JudyBug4's recent addition to thread prompted me to submit yet another "Help>Report a Problem" via Quicken Premiere toolbar today.

And to the Quicken Moderator, please intervene and help flag this on-going problem in Community section called "Alert & Known Product Issues." Users cited this defect yet at least one discussion got closed even before this thread began Sept 2020. Thanks for prompting a real solution to save Users even more cumulative hours of manual manipulation. Automatic entry is a great tool and makes money management less cumbersome.
This discussion has been closed.