Invalid Instance Date (Q Mac)

tvpro@
tvpro@ Member ✭✭
A recurring bill came up to today. I would like to change the date to a later date. Whenever I try to do this I get an error message

Invalid Instance Date
The date of this instance cannot overlap with any other instace (sic).

I have no idea what the sentence means. After I change the date and try to click Edit All Instances, the same error appears. Shouldn't the error message identify the procedure, or at least give something more meaningful? Overlap other instances of what?

Answers

• tvpro@
    tvpro@ Member ✭✭
    I find this really quite misleading and annoying. A recurring amount, either a deposit or a bill due, appears on today's date. Great. I look at the total, and that reflects the transactions as executed. That shouldn't happen. The transactions should not be calculated into the total until the user marks them as posted. Sometimes a recurring event falls on a weekend or holiday and doesn't post until the next business day. The total should not reflect something has not actually happened and been posted by the user.

Thanks.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Hello @tvpro@

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue.

I have a few additional questions to help me isolate and recreate this issue.

First, what is the starting date for the reminder, and what is being changed to?

Also, what type of transaction is this an income, expense, or transfer?

Does this happen on any other scheduled transactions or just this one?

Please let me know!
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • tvpro@
    tvpro@ Member ✭✭
    Date was today, Oct 5. I was changing it to Oct 7. This was a scheduled bill. This was the only one I tried. I found I had to open Edit Instances before changing the date. Of I change the date in the transaction the error appears.
  • Hello@tvpro@ 

Thank you for posting your concern in the Community today. The intention of the bill reminder is to reflect an accurate balance as if the transaction has in fact cleared on the date of the reminder. If I understood, you prefer to not have the balance reflect that amount until it has cleared the bank? If that is the case you could change the date of the bill reminder to the date that you anticipate it will clear, though I imagine it would be difficult to accurately predict this.

Thank you

Quicken Diana

• tvpro@
    tvpro@ Member ✭✭
    Thanks Diana. The item has appeared in my account on today's date. I have the option to Mark as Deposited. It seems to me that it would make more sense not to include this in the current balance until the user executes the Mark as Deposited function.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @tvpro@

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I believe you may have your bill and income reminders set to automatically pay/deposit from the sounds of it. If you go over to your bills and income tab you'll have the reminders listed. Click on the three dots to the right of the payee and select edit all instances.  From here in the bottom right you'll see mark as paid with a dropdown below it. You'll want to choose the I'll do it myself option. I'll show a photo down below

After saving this you'll be able to manually enter the bill once it's come in from the bills and income screen. You'll see a mark as paid button that will let you put the bill in easily.

Hopefully this helps you out. If you do have any other questions let us know!

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• tvpro@
    tvpro@ Member ✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Thanks Francisco. I have that set on all my transactions that come due. The issue I'm uncomfortable is that the transaction is included in balance before I use Mark as Deposited. Deposits are especially variable depending on the day of the week they fall, which effects when the amount posts and also when the funds become available.

Curious about the three ... I don't see that on the Mac. I have to double click the transaction to get a little drop down that shows Edit All Instances.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

Hello @tvpro@

Thank you for reaching out to the community and telling us about your issue. I'm wondering if it might not have let you change it because it has been trying to enter automatically but I'm not too sure. If you were to try changing it today would you still get the same error? If you wouldn't mind could you take a screenshot of the error so we're able to see exactly what's happening? Here's a post on how to take a screenshot if you're unfamiliar with how to. 

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac#latest

Once you get a chance let us know if we're able to get it changed if not let us see a screenshot and we'll see what we can do.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• tvpro@
    tvpro@ Member ✭✭
    edited October 2020
    There is no error message, just the behavior seems incorrect to me. Here's what I see

The shaded balance has not been manually entered. For the account I expect to see the current balance, but don't. I see instead the completed balance as if I'd executed the transaction by selecting Mark as Deposited.

This behavior seems wrong. I would think it should show the actual balance
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @tvpro@

Thank you for the response and further clarification. What you are describing in regards to the transactions being included in balance before they are marked as paid is working as designed.

There are no additional settings or options to change this behavior, I apologize.

In regards to editing the bill reminder, the 3 dots may be found on the bill by navigating to the Bills & Income tab.

If you do not see the 3 dots, it's possible that they are being covered by the screen and I would try drag the screen out to see if you are then able to see them. I have included a screenshot below to help explain.

I hope this helps to clarify!
    -Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • tvpro@
    tvpro@ Member ✭✭
    Thank you Tyka.
This discussion has been closed.