How do I recategorize to a empty (blank?) category?

Options
I mistakenly categorized a number of transactions with empty categories to one of my defined categories (thanks to the 'helpful' quicken popup window).
I now want to undo the mistake, e.g. I want to select the group of transactions with the wrong categories and reset the category field to empty. How can this be done???
thanks

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hold down the control key and select the transactions in the register.  Then right click and select Edit Transactions.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Options
    @three_jeeps - @Chris_QPW 's suggestion works great if you have just a few transactions to be changed.  But it you have a lot of them it might take some time to complete.
    There are several ways to do a mass recategorize but I found only one that allowed me to do that with the new category being no category.  Before proceeding I suggest you backup your data file in case something goes wrong or you don't like the results.:
    1. This process can only be done one Account at a time so you will need to repeat the process with each Account if you want to do this with multiple accounts.
    2. Account Register > sort the transactions by Category (click on the Category column header to do this)
    3. Find the first transaction in the Register you want to change and left click on it to highlight it
    4. Scroll down to the last transaction you want to change and while holding down the Shift key left click on it.  Now all the transactions you want to recategorize should be shaded.
    5. Right click anywhere on the shaded categories > Assign Category > leave the category field bland > OK.
    All the other methods I tried...Find & Replace, Recategorize, Banking Transactions report, Edit Transaction(s) in the Register...would not allow me to do a mass recategorize where the new category is no category.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As an edit to @Boatnmaniac 's step 4 above, you can also Ctrl-click on individual transactions if the group is non-contiguous.  

A step I might try using the reports process would be
    a) Change the category to a newly created non-blank category.
    b) After all applicable transactions were so edited, delete that newly created category.  That deletion process allows the subject transactions to change to 'uncategorized'.  

Although in truth, I make sure all transactions have a valid category.