I am unable to connect to TD Ameritrade since 22 September 2020 - error HTTP-400

I have been unable to connect to TD Ameritrade with Quicken since 22 September 2020 which is my last successful connect. When I update all accounts, the dialog comes up showing the three Ameritrade accounts each with an error HTTP-400

I have sent several reports to support using the dialog that lets you send data files. I went to the QUICKEN online support and they had me create a new file and start fresh and create the account. When I did this it came back immediately and said "Oops. We're having a problem. Quicken cannot communicate with TD Ameritrade." HTTP-400.

This has been happening daily since 23 September. Please can someone get this working?

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited January 2021
    Hello @bcohen0,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

First, could you please provide which version of Quicken you currently have running?
    • Quicken > About Quicken
    To start with, please check and make sure you do not have any hidden accounts that may be connected to this financial institution.
    1. Go to the Accounts menu and choose Hide and Show Accounts
    2. Uncheck any accounts with this specific financial institution that are checked as hidden in Lists
    After that, please follow the troubleshooting instructions below.
    1. Deactivate all accounts associated with this financial institution (if they aren't already deactivated as well as any accounts that were previously hidden if there were any)
    2. Quit Quicken
    3. Open Finder and go to Applications > Utilities > Keychain Access app
    4. On the left panel in the Keychain Access app, set the Keychains to Login and the Category to Passwords
    5. Search for the financial institution's name in the top-right search field and delete any entries found showing "Quicken password for [your financial institution username] at [financial institution name] "
    6. Quit the Keychain Access app and reopen Quicken
    7. Go to Accounts > New and choose the appropriate account type for the accounts that you previously deactivated (if there are more than one account type then choose Checking)
    8. At the bottom of the window showing the list of the financial institutions, click on the "My bank is not listed" question mark icon, then click Update List
    9. Wait for the list to finish updating and Updated: " displays the current date.
    10. Click the Show List button to continue
    11. Use the search field at the top of the list to find and select your financial institution and click Continue
    12. Follow the prompts to sign in using your login credentials associated with the financial institution
    13. If the accounts have been found successfully-- use the dropdown menus to link each account to the appropriate account in Quicken
    Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• bcohen0
    bcohen0 Member ✭✭
    Hello Anja,

Quicken Deluxe 2020 Version 5.18.2 (Build 518.35919.100)
    macOS 10.14.6

I have done all this and when I get to step 12 as you have listed I get the same "Oops. We're having a problem. Quicken cannot communicate with TD Ameritrade." HTTP-400.

I also tried opening a new file and starting from step 7, and I still get the same result.

What next?
  • Quicken Anja
    Thank you for the additional information.

If the same error occurred in a new file, that would suggest that there is an issue with the financial institution's server connecting to Quicken's server. In which case you would need to contact your financial institution and request to file an escalation.

However, before doing so, I recommend that you first contact Quicken Support to have our support agents collect and review your log files in order to investigate and determine the root cause of the issue.

I apologize for being unable to resolve this from here in the Community.

-Quicken Anja

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    TDAmeritrade was recently bought by Charles Schwab & Co.  Could that be part of the issue?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
     -- deleted by NotACPA ---

• bcohen0
    bcohen0 Member ✭✭
    Hello NotACPA SuperUSER - It was NOT spam. I AM having this problem. It was posted accidentally in the Windows section. I am reposting this here in the MAC section, because it's real.

I've spoken with TD and they've done research and they say they haven't made any changes yet, but that isn't the issue.

I'm looking at my ConnLog.txt. It says: <title>HTTP Status 400 – Bad Request</title>

In my HTTPLog.txt: "subject" : "All download attempts from TD Ameritrade are failing.",

"message" : "[OFX http-400] All download attempts from TD Ameritrade are failing.",

In ErrorLog.txt: errorCode = 400;

errorDescription = "HTTP-400 Error from TD Ameritrade";

errorDomain = "OFX:Session";

OFXLog.txt: 2020-10-12 21:27:31 +0000: Response from https://ofxs.ameritrade.com/cgi-bin/apps/OFX (BID 7768)

020-10-12 21:27:31 +0000: Response encoding: utf-8, length: 800, MIME type: text/html, and statusCode: 400

2020-10-12 21:27:31 +0000: HTTP error 400 from server:

Well? How about it? I think something is out of sync.

OH, Another piece of data: When the error box comes up from the One Step Update, it says that the last update is 23-Sep, and it says Last Attempt 24-Sep-2020 6:53am. It says this same thing every day. It says it today, even though today is 12 October.
  • bcohen0
    bcohen0 Member ✭✭
    I was instructed to update the banking information on the new account page, which I did, and it didn't change anything. What I'm wondering is, could the banking information have got damaged? Is there a way to delete a built-in banking information for an institution and download it?
  • bcohen0
    bcohen0 Member ✭✭
    > @"Quicken Anja" said:
    > Thank you for the additional information.
    >
    >
    > However, before doing so, I recommend that you first contact Quicken Support to have our support agents collect and review your log files in order to investigate and determine the root cause of the issue.
    >

I contacted Quicken Support, just as you said. The support agent I talked to was not interested in taking the log files, or reviewing them over the phone. The whole conversation was really begrudging. You did seem to want to help, and the phone call was really a Horror, which surprised me.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Posting the same message in multiple threads is the definition of SPAM.

• bcohen0
    bcohen0 Member ✭✭
    It is? Well, it was totally accidental. Apparently a member answered me, but their post is in the Windows area. That kinda fooled me. I didn't know you could do that.
  • Quicken Anja
    bcohen0 said:
    I contacted Quicken Support, just as you said. The support agent I talked to was not interested in taking the log files, or reviewing them over the phone. The whole conversation was really begrudging. You did seem to want to help, and the phone call was really a Horror, which surprised me.
    I sincerely apologize for the bad experience! That was not my intention in referring you to support. Were you given a ticket number by chance? I'd like to pull and listen to the call so we can provide the agent with appropriate coaching to avoid this in the future.

-Quicken Anja

• bcohen0
    bcohen0 Member ✭✭
    Sure, it's 8018373. At the end, I asked him if there was a ticket number that I could refer to if calling back. I confess I used the chat later to check that the number was actually real.

We've been looking at the OFXLog.txt - there's quite a lot of good info in there.
  • Quicken Anja
    Oh good, I'm glad you are receiving help from chat support looking at the OFXLog.

Thanks for providing the ticket number! I'll pull the ticket and call right now for review.

-Quicken Anja

• Quicken Anja
    @bcohen0, just a quick question-- do you recall if you have had to enable 3rd party access on TD Ameritrade's end in order to connect with Quicken in the past?

Please, check back and let us know!

-Quicken Anja

• bcohen0
    bcohen0 Member ✭✭
    Hi Anja - I honestly don't remember. I started downloading TD Ameritrade accounts to Quicken in 2001, too long ago for recall. I called TD to ask them about the current setting for this, but was a few minutes past their Central Time closing for technical team help.
  • bcohen0
    bcohen0 Member ✭✭
    ALL IS NOW KNOWN! Here is what the problem is.

My computer is set to New Zealand time. On the 27th at 3:00am NZ changed to Daylight Savings Time AKA NZD.

You send this to TD Ameritrade in the OFX information, as a Date and Time appended with [13:NZD] .

My last successful download was on 23rd of September which is NZ Standard Time, and therefore was sent in the OFX structure as Date and Time [12:NZS] .

TD Ameritrade is broken - it does not understand a timezone of GMT+13 . That is what NZDT is.

As a test, I put my computer into a Russian timezone which is at GMT+12, and it worked.

For this amazing debugging work we can thank my Partner, who is the most amazing BUG DESTROYING WIZARD to walk the planet.

My Partner suggests that a workaround for Quicken would be to calculate the DTCLIENT field as an actual GMT timestamp and send that using [0:GMT] for the timezone. He tested this format and TD Ameritrade server accepted this.

Please can you make a note of this result, in case of other users with this problem. I'm guessing any computer in a time zone with a GMT offset greater than 12 will have a problem.

I'm going to TRY to get TD Ameritrade to deal with this issue, though as an end user I don't know that I will have any luck.
  • Quicken Anja
    edited October 2020
    Thank you for the update! I will make note of this and pass it along. 

We have also submitted feedback for the phone support agent you spoke with so we wanted to let you know that it's being reviewed by leadership to follow-up with the agent as appropriate. 

Thanks again! :)

-Quicken Anja

This discussion has been closed.