Quicken Window is not responding

Whenever I start Quicken I just get a blank page, when I click on it, eventually the "Quicken not responding" message pops up, I ran my anti virus, to make sure everything was fine there, no change, I restarted the laptop, no change, I uninstalled Quicken, downloaded it from the Quicken site and reloaded it, still the same, what's happening? I have noticed in the past that it takes a bit longer for Quicken to load, as far as I know my Win 10 64 bits is current.

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    To rule out Quicken phoning home and timing out, put your laptop in airplane mode to see if that helps.
  • Oldcanuck
    Oldcanuck Member
    Thanks, Geoff, I just tried it, it didn't change anything.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anything changed with your setup recently, new settings? Have you disabled your anti-virus software and retried?
  • Oldcanuck
    Oldcanuck Member
    Hi Geoff, Nothing has changed on my laptop, I disabled Total AV, but this hasn't made any difference
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file on the hard drive? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?

Have you tried starting Quicken by holding down the Ctrl key until Quicken starts and then validating your Quicken data file?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Oldcanuck
    Oldcanuck Member
    Hi Greg, The path to the folder is D:\Finance\Quicken (My hard drive is split into two drives, C and D). I'm not using OneDrive (if I had it at one time I removed it), I only use Dropbox to share photos from my phone to the laptop and it's off when not in use and I don't use Google B/U.
    Starting Quicken while holding ctrl worked, one thing that is odd, it entered one scheduled transaction over 8000 times into one of my credit card account. I have discarded the transaction and am in the process of deleting all the duplicate transactions, so I don't know if somehow that one transaction got corrupted and messed up the system.
  • YingDave
    YingDave Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Oldcanuck

A long shot perhaps... but I may have seen similar behaviour when trying to edit the invoicing form in HB. It was resolved when I updated my windows .NET package in the background, by uninstalling and then let windows update do it's thing to reinstall it. Who knows maybe it will work as the risk is low. If you do try reboot and don't have anything else running.
  • Oldcanuck
    Oldcanuck Member
    I got it working with the tip from Greg (holding the CTRL key), I found out that one of my scheduled transaction entered itself over 4500 times in one day. I discarded the scheduled transaction and am still in the process of deleting all the duplicate entries. I'm guessing that Quicken was just waiting for all the transactions to be entered (I have no idea how far it would have gone, had I not shut it down, whenever I found it hung up). The file is also about 13 KB larger than the original file and I still have about 10KB to go, it might take me another week or two to clean everything up. I also do a backup after ever cleanup session I do, so if I have to use the B/U file for any reason, I don't have to start from the beginning.
This discussion has been closed.