Bug in Quicken Mac's "Balance" column

Scott Rose
Scott Rose Mac Beta Beta
There is a bug with the "Balance" column in Quicken Mac 5.18.2 (and possibly earlier versions) when filtering records.

After typing in a search phrase in the "Search All Visible Columns" box, you will see all the matching transactions on your screen.

But the “Balance” column will only display the appropriate balance for those matching transactions if you have NO FILTERS APPLIED.

As soon as you apply a filter such as “This Year”, suddenly the “Balance” column is no longer accurate anymore.

We want to quickly find all the matching transactions for “this year”, and we want to quickly see the balance total for those transactions, but it is not possible because of this bug. Quicken will only show us the appropriate balance if we choose "All Dates".

See the video I created at this link, which exemplifies this problem: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8vcxpjrxteqscko/Quicken Bug.mov?dl=0

When we show "All Dates", we're expecting the balance to be $512.57. This works fine in Quicken Mac.

When we show "This Year", we're expecting the balance to be $212.57. This is where the bug crops up. It shows us some random balance of -$3,008.55.

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @Scott Rose,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to the Community and provide a detailed explanation of your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

I just tested it myself by following the instructions you provided and got the same result. I went ahead and submitted a bug report for this to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution.

Unfortunately, we won't have an ETA on this, however, once a solution is created it will be made available as part of a future update release.

Thank you for bringing awareness to this issue!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Scott Rose
    Scott Rose Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2020
    Thank you, Quicken Anja! :)
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    You're welcome! :)

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2020
    @Scott Rose  [EDITED; I misunderstood the original set-up]

There's an easy solution, or at least work-around, to what you're asking for: to see the total of a register of filtered transactions, all you need to do is Select All (Command-A), and the total appears just above the column headings on the right side: the number of transactions and the sum of their values.  :)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    @Scott Rose, I work on the Quicken Mac development team and I think that is a bug.  The running balance should continue to work in the same way it did before one filters the list. I see the bug that @Quicken Anja reported and I'll see what we can do. Thanks for reporting this.

• Scott Rose
    Scott Rose Mac Beta Beta
    Thanks, Quicken Marcus! :) 
This discussion has been closed.