Register data removed by Quicken

I opened Quicken this morning to find 1 week of register entries in check book and in brokerage accounts missing as well as the reconciliations of several accounts for the previous month marked as uncleared. Backups are done everyday so I called up the previous night's backup to find the data missing there also. Apparently they alter the backup files as well as the main file. Tech support said that happens if you don't promptly install widows updates. I'm now faced with reconciling a few hundred transactions. All of this has caused the new and improved bill pay feature to become hopelessly confused. Their solutions is to clear the bill pay contents and start over adding payees, login info, due dates, etc. Has anyone else had this happen? Did you ever see a warning that they would delete register entries if you don't install windows updates right away?

This is not the first time I've had to spend hours responding to problems with Quicken under new ownership.

Comments

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @ML Johnston

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

I would like to take a look at this interaction you have had with support, where you provided a ticket number? If not do you recall the date that you contacted support.

Also, were are you at with this issue? Have you been able to get your transactions reconciled?

Also, are you needing help and information setting up Quicken Bill Manager?

Please let me know so we can get this resolved!
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • ML Johnston
    ML Johnston Member ✭✭
    10/9 was the most recent of many contacts, no ticket number. I have spent the weekend rebuilding the lost transactions and re-reconciling last month's brokerage statements. Plus manually rebuilding stock lots that Quicken can not keep track of and the auto rebuild fails with. Have not gotten to removing the bill pay function and re-entering everything. I can tell you that it did deliver 2 payments on 10/9 but the register just shows them as scheduled. What's up with that?
  • ML Johnston
    ML Johnston Member ✭✭
    Been waiting for 4 days for a response
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @ML Johnston

Thank you for the response although I apologize for the delay.

By "removing the bill pay function and re-entering everything" do you mean the billers? If you are needing help with a biller issue can you please provide the name(s) of the bills and the error message that you are receiving?

What bills do you show as being paid successfully? How did you pay these bills? Did you use the bills and income tab or the register?

Is the register a reminder or is it linked to the online bill? 

Please let me know!
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... Plus manually rebuilding stock lots that Quicken can not keep track of and the auto rebuild fails with. ...
    I can't comment on your other issues, but I expect there is a misunderstanding with respect to any "auto rebuild" of security lots.  

In particular, I am not aware of any "auto rebuild" function.  Quicken will bring in available historical stock prices in 'rebuilding' price history information, but that has no consequence or impact on holdings of any security.  That is never an 'automatic' process that I am aware of.  

Further with respect to holdings, if you have downloaded transactions from a financial institution (FI) and then rightly or wrongly delete those transactions, a later download from that FI will not bring in those same deleted transactions.  That is, you cannot rebuild the holdings by repeating a download process from the FI. 

So I am left wondering what you meant by "auto rebuild" and what your expectations were.    
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    q_lurker said:
    In particular, I am not aware of any "auto rebuild" function. 
    Under Validate & Repair, there is "Rebuild investing lots". I suspect this is what OP is referring to.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    For the record the statement that the Quicken support made is absolutely garbage.
    There is no connection what's so ever between Windows updates and Quicken data loss.

Maybe you misheard and they were talking about Quicken updates.  But again there should be no reason why not updating should result in data loss, especially in the backup.

In fact I would say the opposite is more likely.  As in a newly installed Quicken patch might have a bug in it that caused the data loss.

What's more there is a clear trend on the recent reports in this forum on data loss.  Clearly something is deleting data.

The most likely causes at this point are the "standard one" which is if the user is using "Quicken cloud sync/Quicken Web/Mobile".  And the new connection method for Express Web Connect which is proven to have just as much destructive potential as Quicken cloud sync.  And there might be a possibility that the online/bills/Quicken Bill Manager have such potential bugs in them too.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • ML Johnston
    ML Johnston Member ✭✭
    Rocky is right, I was referring to the rebuild function. The problem is that the buy transaction seems to be corrupt because the subsequent sell transaction says there are more shares than there really are. This throws off the gain/loss amounts. The solution is to find the offending buy transaction, delete it and reenter it. Following this manual rebuild, the lots return to a correct state.
  • ML Johnston
    ML Johnston Member ✭✭
    to -Quicken Tyka

By "removing the bill pay function and re-entering everything" do you mean the billers? If you are needing help with a biller issue can you please provide the name(s) of the bills and the error message that you are receiving? --They told me I would be starting over needing to setup each biller again.

What bills do you show as being paid successfully? --It's inconsistent, some bills never pay, some have paid at first and then did not pay the following month. The reverse has happened too.

How did you pay these bills? Did you use the bills and income tab or the register? --Used the bills & income tab.

Is the register a reminder or is it linked to the online bill? --Do you mean register entry? If so, it's linked to the online bill.

And now a new problem has arisen, a biller listing in the bills & income tab says the account is locked. How can I unlock it? I have full access to my account on the biller's website and nothing there is related to the lock.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @ML Johnston

Thank you for the response, although I am sorry to hear that the trouble continues to persist and you are encountering new issues as well.

At this time I would recommend contacting support directly for advanced troubleshooting steps.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Quicken Care has the ability to review the online biller profile to isolation your issues further to be able to provide a solution.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~