Amazon Synchrony Store Card Sync Issue

I'm having an issue direct downloading transactions from my Synchrony Amazon store card. Has worked perfect for years and all of a sudden, starting October 1, 2020 it doesn't work.

*No error messages given. This is not the OL-221 error others are experiencing.

*When I check account status, it shows as having successfully connected and new transactions downloaded yet nothing new is in the account register.

*I've tried deactivating Quicken Connect direct downloading and reactivating. During this process it does correctly identify my account and asks if I want to set it up as new or link it to an existing account. I've tried linking it to an existing account and it doesn't download the new transactions. I've tried setting it up as a new account and that doesn't work either.

*I checked with Synchrony Bank to see if there is anything wrong with my account on their end and they claim it's all fine.

Thoughts?

Best Answer

Answers

• Ron Hudspeth
    Ron Hudspeth Unconfirmed ✭✭
    I had the same problem with my Synchrony SAMS Club card. Synchrony is producing bad format QFX files apparently. If I save the file instead of auto-opening the file with QuickenWindow, then I can edit the file with notepad. There is an R in the place of both the <DTSTART> and <DTEND> fields. If you replace the R with the earliest and latest dates you see elsewhere in the report respectively (in the format YYYYMMDD), then save again as a QFX and import to Quicken, it will work (or, has for me). Although I use Quicken for Windows, since the error is in the QFX file, I don't see any reason it would not work for MAC. I have been trying to get Quicken to talk to Synchrony about it, but have not had any luck finding the right project person.
  • Thank you both for this feedback but my problem does not involve QFX downloads nor do I receive the OL-221 error message. This is when I do a "Direct Connect" to my bank. The account status window says the connection is fine and new transactions have been downloaded but nothing shows up in the register.
  • Quicken Hugh
    Quicken Hugh Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    @Micheal34234234
    Sorry to hear that you are having difficulties with the Amazon store card download.

When you tried to re-add the account, you chose Amazon.com Store Card - Synchrony (www.syncbank.com), yes? 
    From what you have described, it sounds like you do have an affirmative link from your Quicken software to the Financial Institution. Do you have new transactions that have cleared at the bank to download? (Posted-but-uncleared transactions will normally not be delivered to Quicken. Posted and cleared transactions will typically be downloaded.) 

Just to double check, please go to the Register for the Amazon.com Store Card; at the top of the screen, click on the "Date" column header to re-order the dates. Check both the top and the bottom of your screen. Are there truly no new transactions downloaded?

If you have not already done so, please ensure your data file (and the Quicken software) is/are running from your local hard drive (not a network nor cloud service of any sort).
    Do you have a VPN/Cloud service/network/anti-virus/firewall turned on? For the moment, turn OFF all of those, then try the One Step Update download again. What happened? (Be sure to turn the services back on after the OSU.)

Please post back to this thread with updates, and/or you are welcome to contact support for help too.
  • Michael34234234
    Michael34234234 Member
    edited October 2020
    Hi Hugh,

Yes, I did choose the Amazon.com Store Card and I do in fact have several newly posted charges from October 1st that are not showing up in Quicken. (Dates are sorted correctly, software is running locally and no VPN/Firewall is up and running.)

Interestingly....
    I just logged into my [Remooved] account and the exact same problem is happening in Mint where no new transactions after October 1st are appearing. If this is the case, I have to imagine that this is a system wide issue since [Removed] downloads transactions in the same format as Quicken, correct?

Michael
  • Hi Hugh,

Any luck with this problem?
  • James J
    James J Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    > @Ron Hudspeth said:
    > I had the same problem with my Synchrony SAMS Club card. Synchrony is producing bad format QFX files apparently. If I save the file instead of auto-opening the file with QuickenWindow, then I can edit the file with notepad. There is an R in the place of both the <DTSTART> and <DTEND> fields. If you replace the R with the earliest and latest dates you see elsewhere in the report respectively (in the format YYYYMMDD), then save again as a QFX and import to Quicken, it will work (or, has for me). Although I use Quicken for Windows, since the error is in the QFX file, I don't see any reason it would not work for MAC. I have been trying to get Quicken to talk to Synchrony about it, but have not had any luck finding the right project person.

I just did this, and it worked perfectly for matching transactions I had already downloaded, for adding new transactions I had NOT already downloaded, and finally for reconciling the account. Seems like a simple fix, Synchrony sucks.

I'm using Windows 10, Quicken 2020, Version R29.22, Build 27.1.29.22. These are the steps that worked for me:

1. Go to Synchrony website and download a Quicken file to your desktop
    2. Right click the Quicken file and open with Notepad
    3. Control-F and search for everything in the quotes "<DTSTART>". You'll see
    <DTSTART>R
    <DTEND>R
    4. Take note of the date of the very first transaction and very last transaction in your downloaded Quicken file. To make it easy for me, I downloaded the exact same time frame in a CSV file to my desktop and looked at that in order to see the first and last transactions.
    5. Replace the first "R" with the date of the first transaction and replace the second "R" with the date of the last transaction. I followed this format: "YYYYMMDD120000[0:GMT]" in both cases.
    6. In notepad, after having made the above changes, Control-S to save. Don't try to Save as or anything, just Control-S.
    7. Close notepad.
    8. Double-click on the Quicken file on your desktop

BOOM! It works.
This discussion has been closed.