Renaming Rules do not match to Citibank

Citibank no longer downloads the payee name to the payee field instead it puts it in the memo field and simply puts 'debit card purchase' in the payee field. As a result Quicken renaming rules do not match. Older versions of Quicken used to let you choose weather to match to the Payee and/or memo fields but recent versions do not.

See the attached snip. The payee field has debit card transaction and the memo field has McDonalds. As a result renaming rules does not work anymore. Is there a patch to fix this coming or available?

Comments

• Rich_M
    Rich_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    @AllanReizman The keywords entered in a Renaming Rule will match either the Payee or Memo field.  The problem with renaming rules is that the descriptive text in the download can change over time or vary depending on which McDonald's you go to.

Take a look at your Renaming Rule for McDonald's to see which keywords you're using as a match.  If the rule contains text that cannot be found in the image you posted it will not work.

Your best bet is to create all your rules manually rather than letting Quicken do it.  All you really need for this rule to work is the keyword McDonald's, you must match it exactly, McDonalds will not work.  The other information in the memo field you posted identifies the location and is not needed unless you're trying to identify that in the Payee field also.

Also beware that another location might download without the apostrophe, so you will need to add another condition for that.

The rules are not case sensitive, so you can use caps, lowercase or mixed.

Renaming rules require ongoing maintenance to keep them working properly.
    Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10 Pro
  • AllanReizman
    AllanReizman Member ✭✭
    I've been at this for over a year. Quicken has changed and the renaming rules are broken, like other things. I have tried deleting and rewriting the rules to no avail. They no longer match the memo field only the payee field. Banks like Citibank that put the payee name in the memo field only no longer match renaming rules.
  • Rich_M
    Rich_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    @AllanReizman I would like to see a screen shot of the renaming rules you have for McDonald's to understand why it may not be working.
  • AllanReizman
    AllanReizman Member ✭✭
    Here is an example. The rule clearly has Aldi identified but the renaming rule does not match because ALDI is in the memo field instead of the payee field.
    Another example, Portillos is in the memo filed. The rule has same name entered but does not match on the memo field only the payee field. The renaming rule keeps 'debit card purchase' in all instances.
  • Rich_M
    Rich_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    @AllanReizman Thanks for posting these examples of your Renaming Rules, these look fine and should work as is.

The only other thing I can think of checking is that you have use my existing naming rules checked in Downloaded transactions preferences.

• AllanReizman
    AllanReizman Member ✭✭
    I have that selected. It's been broken for the last couple of releases. It only looks at 'payee'. It used to give you a choice to look at the entire downloaded transaction including 'memo' but for some reason they changed it so the renaming rule only looks at payee. If the bank puts the payee name in the memo field the renaming rule does not catch it. Looks like a bug that needs fixing. PITA.
  • Rich_M
    Rich_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    @AllanReizman Well I've been using Quicken for decades and I've never had that problem, which is why I haven't upgraded, everything works in my version.

I would recommend reporting this to Quicken Support. 
  • AllanReizman
    AllanReizman Member ✭✭
    I just completed a chat and it may be fixed. Went through a test file and deactivating reactivating on-line services. The fix appears to be having to delete the memorized payees that aren't matching.
    We'll know next time I do a download.
  • Rich_M
    Rich_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    @AllanReizman Ok, hope that works for you.