Cannot Connect to American Express

System
System Member admin
Cannot Connect to American Express

Best Answers

Answers

• Makers
    Makers Member ✭✭
    I have not been able to connect I (direct connect or otherwise) to American Express to download credit card transactions for about two weeks now. I am able to login from a browser, so my login credentials are not the issue. I deactivated then re-entered the information in my quicken account but that didn't help. Is this a known issue? Is there a fix?
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @Makers,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

First, could you please provide which version of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Quicken > About Quicken
    Also, when trying to connect, are you receiving any specific error messages and/or codes that you could provide us with?

Please, check back and let us know! 

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Makers
    Makers Member ✭✭
    Quicken Premier 2020 (Mac). Version 5.18.2 (Build 518.35919.100). Mac OS 10.15.7.

I believe the error code was 503 (or 501?) Unfortunately that information appears to have been lost from the status window after I "deactivated" the account download.

Again, I am able to login to my account from a browser so it is not an issue with my username or password, not did it fix it when I tried to set up downloads from the beginning again.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    It's working fine for me on same version via Direct Connect. Are you using FI name "American Express" and not one of the other variants? If so, it's probably something unique to your situation. That would be something that Quicken Support would be best equipped to help with since they have the tools to look at your specifics.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Mike Schuster
    Mike Schuster Member ✭✭
    I am receiving the following error when trying to download from American Express - Download error (503), http-503 from American Express. Is there a known issue or recommended fix
  • Lysander Spooner
    Lysander Spooner Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Same issue: CANNOT Connect to American Express

Quicken Deluxe 2020
    Version 5.18.2 (Build 518.35919.100)
    macOS 10.15.7

Trouble Shooting: Deactivated Direct Connect
                                  Attempted to setup Direct Connect

• Makers
    Makers Member ✭✭
    That's what I got when I tried to reconfigure downloads too.
  • Frank O'Neil
    Frank O'Neil Member ✭✭✭
    I am consistently receiving HTTP-503 errors when trying to connect with American Express. I have deactivated and activated my four accounts there with no luck. I CAN access my accounts on the Amex website.
  • Lysander Spooner
    edited October 2020
    At this point I cannot even REACTIVATE my Direct Connect to Amex.

I had to manually download my transaction as a QFX file from the Amex website.
  • Mike Schuster
    Mike Schuster Member ✭✭
    This is exactly the same issue I began experiencing today. Tried to deactivate and re-set up direct connect and also get the error above - Quicken cannot communicate with American Express
  • Makers
    Makers Member ✭✭
    > @Lysander Spooner said:
    > At this point I cannot even REACTIVATE my Direct Connect to Amex.
    >
    > I had to manually download my transaction as a QFX file from the Amex website.

Right. I can't either. When I try, I get the screen you posted.

> @Frank O'Neil said:
    > I am consistently receiving HTTP-503 errors when trying to connect with American Express. I have deactivated and activated my four accounts there with no luck. I CAN access my accounts on the Amex website.

Exactly!
  • psu1
    psu1 Member
    Same exact issue on my end as well.
  • Makers
    Makers Member ✭✭
    > @psu1 said:
    > Same exact issue on my end as well.

Sounds like a trend. Not just me in any case. Thanks.
  • Johndy
    Johndy Member ✭✭
    Same issue, Mac 10.15.6, Version 5.18.2 (Build 518.35919.100) of Quicken. Just started yesterday morning. Not a credential thing, able to log into web site and use my mobile for access. I did notice that in the Account->Settings->Amex for this account, that the actual account number is giberish.. If there is a way to alter this back to the correct value, I may be back in business.... I'll have to search and see if that is possible...
  • Makers
    Makers Member ✭✭
    > @Johndy said:
    > Same issue, Mac 10.15.6, Version 5.18.2 (Build 518.35919.100) of Quicken. Just started yesterday morning. Not a credential thing, able to log into web site and use my mobile for access. I did notice that in the Account->Settings->Amex for this account, that the actual account number is giberish.. If there is a way to alter this back to the correct value, I may be back in business.... I'll have to search and see if that is possible...

I think the account number, or what appears as "giberish," is generated by quicken or amex since all you're asked for to connect is username and password. I think there's something else going on. Thanks for adding to the discussion!
  • Johndy
    Johndy Member ✭✭
    Support says its a known issue, time to resolution unknown @ 7:45pm EST. Try again in 24 hours
  • jfclague
    jfclague Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    It started working for me this morning and now it isn't working. 
  • Makers
    Makers Member ✭✭
    > @jfclague said:
    > It started working for me this morning and now it isn't working. 

Unfortunately, not for me.
  • Mike Schuster
    Mike Schuster Member ✭✭
    still not working for me
  • Makers
    Makers Member ✭✭
    > @Quicken Anja said:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > Thank you for taking the time to report this issue with American Express here in the Community, though I apologize that you all are experiencing this.
    >
    > Our teams are aware of this and are investigating it. In the meantime, we ask that you please wait 24 hours to try again in order to reduce server overload.
    >
    > Thank you!

Will do. Thank you for the update.
  • Lysander Spooner
    Working for me now...
  • Frank O'Neil
    Frank O'Neil Member ✭✭✭
    AMEX is working for me now. 1:00pm CDT on 10/27/2020
  • Makers
    Makers Member ✭✭
    Still not working for me.