Home Quicken for Windows Product Ideas - Quicken for Windows Product Enhancements (Windows)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Add user preference for Find default search field

2»

Comments

• pswelkerpswelker Member ✭✭
    > @Rocket J Squirrel said:
    > (Quote)
    > Gotcha, @pswelker . CTRL-F is a keyboard accelerator for Edit > Find. The two can't behave differently.
    >
    > I agree with @Chris_QPW . For some reason, users are very adamant about this particular issue.

Context and action driven functionality could easily accommodate alternative behavior for each method of invoking Find, Edit>Find|Right Mouse>Find|CTRL-F. To say, "The two (rather three) can't behave differently.", is artificially constraining.

Perhaps the approach of a user preference setting is the easiest way to satisfy the diversity of thought among users regarding this functionality.

Then again, maybe making a minor adjustment to the current behavior by pre-populating the search value with the currently selected field value, with the value highlighted/selected such that typing any character clears it, while leaving Any field default would suffice... a somewhere in the middle solution.
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    pswelker said:
    Context and action driven functionality could easily accommodate alternative behavior for each method of invoking Find, Edit>Find|Right Mouse>Find|CTRL-F. To say, "The two (rather three) can't behave differently.", is artificially constraining.
    It isn't "artificially constraining".  The function being called has no idea if it was invoked by the user doing Ctrl+F or use the menu. That is by design, as in Windows UI design.

pswelker said:
    Then again, maybe making a minor adjustment to the current behavior by pre-populating the search value with the currently selected field value, with the value highlighted/selected such that typing any character clears it, while leaving Any field default would suffice... a somewhere in the middle solution.
    If you look at how Quicken works you will see that a field is always selected when you are in the register.  And that is the cornerstone of the two different desires.

One group wants when they type Ctrl+F it starts with Any Field, contains, and in the field for the search to be empty so they can just type what they want and hit enter.

The other group wants it to be "field sensitive", as in if the field selected is the payee, it should be set to Payee, Contains, and the field it prepopulated with whatever the payee in that transaction field was set to, so they can hit enter want find all the transactions with that payee.

Note they don't want "Any Field" they want "Payee" (or whatever field they are on).  They don't want to pick up transactions where the memo might match.

You can easily go through the flows and see why both groups think it is "extra work".

If  you want Any Field, Contains and blank, and instead it comes up Payee, Contains, and box has the payee you need to, Hit delete, Shift tab, Shift Tab, arrow to Any Field (or use mouse) and then Enter.

If you want the payee filled in you have, type in the payee, Shift tab, Shift tab, arrow to Payee (or mouse), and then Enter.

My personal belief is that no one is really using this function so much that these few keystrokes are worth all this trouble, but it wouldn't the first time Quicken users have made a mountain out of a mole hill.
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • DickMayDickMay Member ✭✭
    Please, PLEASE, Quicken Support, give us the option of how the "Find" action functions. :'(
  • I agree. Please, PLEASE, Quicken Support, give us the option to set how the "Find" function works.
  • HenneDudeHenneDude Unconfirmed, Member
    I fully agree. Often I'm looking at a transaction that involved a transfer (e.g. Paypal payment that pulls funds out of another account), and want to be able to easily find it. The autofill function was SO wonderful. I've been using Quicken since 1989, when it ran on DOS.
  • Wilson BaileyWilson Bailey Member ✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Just make the choice between the two methods a user option. Both methods have been used, so the logic is there. Just add a switch.

And, while your at it, add and option to give a total of selected items when "Amount" is chosen. I know it's hard, but I'm sure the programmers are smart enough to do it. It would save exporting the file out to Excel and working with it there.
  • fbeachfbeach Member
    edited September 2020
    Currently Find(Find/Replace) only permits searches on a single field. Any reasonable data base system allows logical searches on 1 to N fields. the following example illustrates the simplest form of what should be included in the product:

Find all entries for
    Category = XX
    AND
    Date contains (or ends with) 2020
  • uuyankeeuuyankee Member ✭✭
    I endorse making the FIND behavior a user preference. It would also be very useful if one could copy from a transaction and paste into the search target box.
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    fbeach said:
    Currently Find(Find/Replace) only permits searches on a single field. Any reasonable data base system allows logical searches on 1 to N fields. the following example illustrates the simplest form of what should be included in the product:

Find all entries for
    Category = XX
    AND
    Date contains (or ends with) 2020
    This is a different suggestion/feature.  If you want it to be considered at all, you have to get it out of this thread and into one that people can vote on.

(I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • alschoenalschoen Member
    I would suggest this will be an ongoing "sore" until Quicken allows the users to configure how "Find" opens. Personally, I find it's current form (opens to Any Field no matter how I invoke it) virtually useless.
    One of my most frequent searches is for all (or at least all recent) payments to a given vendor. I used to be able to highlight the Payee field on any transaction to that vendor, hit "Cntrl-F" and then "Alt-F" and Quicken would immediately pop up what I needed.
    Now I have to hit "Cntrl-F," then either take my hand off the keyboard and use the mouse, or hit "Tab" seven times to get to the field selection window, then either use the mouse, the up down arrow, or (correctly) hit the first letter of the Field I want to search, then use the mouse or tab key to switch to the search text field, and then finally correctly type three to six or seven characters to bring up the correct spelling of the vendor - by which time I have "saddle sores!"
    Please allow the user to set configuration options for "Find!!!!"
  • davecreasydavecreasy Member ✭✭
    edited October 2020
    [Removed- No Soliciting]  I fail to understand why the auto-fill function that was part of "Find" for years was taken away. It worked great!! Having to type in what you are searching for takes time and is painful. It worked great in it's previous form. Bring it back!!
  • PatBarrPatBarr Member
    I am very unhappy losing the function of Find to automatically fill in the category and text from the transaction I am on. It takes a longer now to find what I'm looking for.

I hope this capability is restored soon.
  • Rich_MRich_M SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    First of all, I am still using a version of Quicken that has the feature that you all seem to crave. Personally, I rarely use Find anyway and when I do I certainly don't find it the least bit painful to change the search criteria, I think we're all getting way too lazy.

If you follow the threads about this topic over the years, you'll find there is always one noisy group whining about taking it out or putting it back, that's why it keeps changing, make up your minds already.

Quicken provides so many different ways to search for transactions other than the Find dialogue that are much better and require little or no typing.

If you're searching for all transactions with a certain Payee or Category, try clicking the little button in that field for a transaction, followed by Show Report, to get a list of all transactions for the last 12 months by default, without any typing.

To find all transactions within a register that contain specific text in any field, type that in the search box at the top of the register. I think this is one of the most powerful search features the program has, as you get the results instantly as you type each agonizingly, painful character.

Even if they give you the option to have Find default to one way or the other, there will be times when you will actually have to change the criteria, and yes, as painful as it is, type something.
    Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10 Pro
  • After using Quicken since it was on DOS, I too am irritated by the inability to set Find to default to Payee. PLEASE, Quicken!
  • To quote Jane's comment "After using Quicken since it was on DOS, I too am irritated by the inability to set Find to default to Payee. PLEASE, Quicken!". I am in the same situation. Give us an option!
  • Bobber79Bobber79 Member
    Allow me to add to the cacophony. I'm another Quicken user since the DOS days. I always found it very convenient for the Find command to default to the selected window and value. Defaulting now to Any Field is extremely annoying! Quicken, if you're listening, PLEASE put it back - or better yet, give us the choice of defaults.
  • JennyPMCJennyPMC Unconfirmed, Member
    Why take away a feature that has been there since Quicken Started? VERY bad user experience. Amazing how horrible this tool has become since we went to SAAS version.
  • DickMayDickMay Member ✭✭
    > @"Jane Whitney" said:
    > After using Quicken since it was on DOS, I too am irritated by the inability to set Find to default to Payee. PLEASE, Quicken!

I, too, have used Quicken since DOS. When an "enhancement" creates an inefficiency, it's time to review the results.
  • plspls Member ✭✭
    You say that Find, Edit>Find|Right Mouse>Find|CTRL-F all go to the same function, which has no idea which way it was called. That's fine, that's the way the code currently works.

But it doesn't HAVE to work that way. And there is a significant fraction of your customers that doesn't want it to work that way.
  • MarilynsMarilyns Member
    I would like it reverted back to the old find, where you selected the field you wanted to search for and just clicked the search icon.
  • Wilson BaileyWilson Bailey Member ✭✭
    edited January 30
    I agree totally with Marilyns - I would like it reverted back to the old find, where you selected the field you wanted to search for and just clicked the search icon.

At least, there should be a choice. The Quicken programmers should be smart enough to make this happen!
  • jesusortiz23jesusortiz23 Member ✭✭
    Allow customization of Quicken Find command, to remain on the field and contents it's on. This provides the ability for all users to be "Almost Happy" with the option.
  • WoodySWoodyS Member ✭✭
    As another Quicken user since DOS days, I will add my vote for the populated selected field when either Ctrl-F or right-click is invoked. The reasons have all been clearly and loudly previously stated. Just DO IT!
  • PatBarrPatBarr Member
    Find command use to populate the "find window" with the value from the current transaction. I sure miss this feature. Now you have to type it in again.
  • PatBarrPatBarr Member
    Has any headway been made to change how Find works? I really want the old way back where Find automatically populates based on the field the mouse is currently on.

Why was this changed?
  • Quicken AnjaQuicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @jesusortiz23,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your request.

I went ahead and merged your Idea to this active Idea thread regarding this topic.

Ideas are reviewed by our Development and Product teams to see what features people would like to have available in the future. Please, be sure to add your own vote as well by clicking the up arrow (see below).

Thank you!
    -Quicken Anja