Adjustable Budget dates?

Just started on Quicken.. I am hoping to change budget start date to the day I get pay check into my account.. which is NOT on the 1st but much later in the month.. this will help for month to month food costs . How can I change the dates for the budget ? ? thank you

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I think you may be confusing separate concepts: budget and cashflow forecast.  A budget is about allocating resources over a period of time and then comparing the budgeted amounts with the actual amounts.   A cashflow forecast is used to ensure cash balances aren't overdrawn.  In Quicken, a good cashflow forecast relies on accurate entry of scheduled transactions (reminders) and may be viewed using the Projected Balances view on the Bills & Income tab.   Both concepts are useful.
  • qkcam
    qkcam Member ✭✭
    is there anyway to change the budge start date from the 1st to say the 15th. example. On the 15th new cash flow starts.. so I have budget of $300 for food.. that starts on the 15th. by changing the date of budget I can then see how much for the next month ( from 15th to 15th) I have spent and how much I have left for food. thanks
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    qkcam said:
    is there anyway to change the budge start date from the 1st to say the 15th. example. On the 15th new cash flow starts.. so I have budget of $300 for food.. that starts on the 15th. by changing the date of budget I can then see how much for the next month ( from 15th to 15th) I have spent and how much I have left for food. thanks
    No.  We may not change the budge start date from the 1st to say the 15th. 

If you are attempting to simulate an envelope budgeting system, you may want to consider using Quicken's Savings Goals.

• qkcam
    qkcam Member ✭✭
    ok thank you. I will look at the Quicken Savings goals.. although it isn't savings it is more of a budget.. so I stay within the available spending budget.
  • qkcam
    qkcam Member ✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > (Quote)
    > No.  We may not change the budge start date from the 1st to say the 15th. 
    >
    > If you are attempting to simulate an envelope budgeting system, you may want to consider using Quicken's Savings Goals.

@Sherlock where do I find Savings Goals? i went into "Plan" as i found online instructions but i do not see Savings Goals there. yikes! thanks for your help
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @qkcam

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to ask your question, although I apologize that you have not received a follow-up response.

To learn more about Savings Goals, please take a moment to review the information available here.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    qkcam said:
    > @Sherlock said:
    > (Quote)
    > No.  We may not change the budge start date from the 1st to say the 15th. 
    >
    > If you are attempting to simulate an envelope budgeting system, you may want to consider using Quicken's Savings Goals.

@Sherlock where do I find Savings Goals? i went into "Plan" as i found online instructions but i do not see Savings Goals there. yikes! thanks for your help
    Please provide the version of Quicken being used: select Help > About Quicken

Savings Goals are not supported in the Starter edition.  To use Savings Goals, you will need to upgrade to at least the Deluxe functionality: select Help > Add...
  • qkcam
    qkcam Member ✭✭
    Ok thank you.. Yes i have the starter edition. right now I dont think i can afford to upgrade to the deluxe :( i think i have a 30day money back option.. i may need to figure out how that works. it keeps hanging up when i try to log in and get the numbers going. (hangs with connecting to the banking institutions.. and i dont really need them to all sync everytime. thanks for letting me know that i will need to upgrade to get closer to what i am looking for.
    hope you have a great day!
  • qkcam
    qkcam Member ✭✭
    PS any reason why i couldnt use a 2018 version if i can get the install CD? thanks
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    qkcam said:
    PS any reason why i couldnt use a 2018 version if i can get the install CD? thanks
    Why would you want to use the old 2018 version of the Subscription Release of Quicken? 

If the activation key associated with the install CD is invalid or has expired, you would not be able to use the activation key to activate (or extend) a subscription: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-manage-my-quicken-subscription

Note: Anyone may download and install the Subscription Release of Quicken: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-download-quicken-quickencom-after-i-buy-it

• qkcam
    qkcam Member ✭✭
    because it is much more affordable for me . than ungrading to the deluxe.

is there anyway to stop it from trying to sync will all the accounts I have each time i want to use it? it takes way too long and i dont have a need for this. ..also how much does it cost to upgrade so i may use the Savings Goals? and it isn't savings goals that i need. I need to track .. how much money i have , i get paid on 23rd then pay my bills that day..and i need to see how much i have left and also track what i am spending in credit cards so i can factor that in for payments in the next month. is there not any way to do this in the starter edition of quicken? thank you
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    qkcam said:
    because it is much more affordable for me . than ungrading to the deluxe.
    Why is using an old 2018 version of the Subscription Release of Quicken more affordable?
    is there anyway to stop it from trying to sync will all the accounts I have each time i want to use it? it takes way too long and i dont have a need for this.
    We do not need to sync any accounts and we can control when and which accounts we sync.
    ..also how much does it cost to upgrade so i may use the Savings Goals?
    It depends... Presently, the price difference for a new Quicken subscription on Quicken.com is $9.80/yr instead of the usual $15.00/yr. We may also purchase a Quicken Deluxe subscription from discount retailers.
    and it isn't savings goals that i need. I need to track .. how much money i have , i get paid on 23rd then pay my bills that day..and i need to see how much i have left and also track what i am spending in credit cards so i can factor that in for payments in the next month. is there not any way to do this in the starter edition of quicken?
    As I previously suggested, consider using the Projected Balances view on the Bills & Income tab for cashflow forecast.
    thank you

• qkcam
    qkcam Member ✭✭
    i can get a 2018 version of deluxe for $18 new in package.. but i was going to upgrade to Deluxe through quicken i just saw it was on sale for $41.99 but they would only let me "upgrade" for the full price of $54 or 59$ what ever the usual price is.!! that is not an upgrade. .so i cancelled the "beginner version" and need to come up with a plan moving forward.. I guess i just get the deluxe for full price. thanks for your help with this
  • qkcam
    qkcam Member ✭✭
    Ps if you have any discount retailers that you know.. please let me know, if you feel comfortable with that? . that would be great they wont let me on to the "new customer" price plan since i had been using the basic for 10 days. darn!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    qkcam said:
    i can get a 2018 version of deluxe for $18 new in package.. 
    Any version from 2018 to the current version is in fact Quicken Subscription/current.
    As in you install the 2018 version, the very first thing it is going to do is update to the newest version.  In fact you can simply install from here:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-download-quicken-quickencom-after-i-buy-it
    instead of using the one on the CD you get.

The important part is the CD will have an activation code that you enter from the Help menu, that is what decides on the edition (starter, deluxe, ...) and when the subscription starts.

So yes if you can find a 2018, 2019, ... cheaper then you can go with that.

As for retailer Amazon, Costco, ...  For older ones EBay.

Note that 2017 and below aren't subscription so they will not upgrade to the latest.  They can still be used manually, but they will not download transactions or do any of the other online services.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.