non-Unicode error no longer pops up?

That error message has been plaguing us non-English speakers for years, but it's gone this year sometime. Does that mean the program is now supporting unicode? If yes, that's great news!

Answers

• Supermann
    Supermann Windows Beta Beta
    Chinese, Japanese, Korean...those days where we had to tinker the language settings seem to be gone!!!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    It is good to know that the warning is gone, but no Quicken hasn't been changed to support Unicode.  That would take a very major rewrite.

The reason that Quicken can work (in a limited fashion) even though it isn't Unicode for other languages has to do with the way a lot of the character sets are setup.

Note that there is only one "non Unicode" setting for the whole machine.

If you look at the ASCII character set you will see that the first 128 characters are English.  And the top 128 are symbols and other characters that are seldom used.
    https://www.ascii-code.com/

What a lot of other language character sets do is keep the lower 128 characters the same, and then change only the top 128 characters.  Given this is the case you basically have support of two languages.  Provided they both fit in 128 characters.

This is the reason you can change the locale off of English (United States) which is the ASCII character set and still have it work (even though Quicken warned about it in the past).

Note I have no idea if the "Beta: Use Unicode UTF-8 for worldwide language support" will work with Quicken (and foreign languages).  This is something that Microsoft/Windows is trying and it is done at a lower level than the Quicken programmers are working at.  It may or may not work.  Note it is UTF-8 so for languages that need more than 256 characters (8 bits/one byte characters give you 256 combinations) will not work.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Freddy
    Freddy Member ✭✭
    I am totally stuck with Language for non-Unicode programs error. I've spent far too much time on this problem.

Quicken has always worked fine for me and still works on my 10 year old computer but it is impossible to get it working on my new windows computer.

I have already changed my windows language from French to English but the problem continues.

I need an easy fix for this problem.

I'm ready to give up on Quicken after using it for over 20 years. I'll try one last solution to copy the installation program from my old computer to the new one.

Then I give up on Quicken, can anybody suggest a replacement ?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Freddy What version of Quicken are you using?  This thread states that recent versions of Quicken don't have that dialog.  What's more even on the old versions the prompt was once at startup, hardly something that would stop a person from using Quicken, so maybe you have a different problem?

Note for older versions of Quicken to stop the prompting it has to be set to US English like I show above.
    Signature:
  • Freddy
    Freddy Member ✭✭
    Thanks @Chris_QPW PW for your reply.

I am learning how to communicate here and just saw your message from 2 days ago.

I am using the Windows version. The Windows language is English.

Quicken still works fine on my old computer.

I would love to get Quicken up and running on my new computer

Thanks for your help
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Freddy said:
    Thanks @Chris_QPW PW for your reply.

The Windows language is English.

Is it English (United States)?

It has to be the exact setting, not English from another country.

And maybe this is a different problem, because what I'm referring to is one prompt as you start Quicken, hardly something that would stop you from using it.

Can you post a screenshot of the problem?
    Also what version of Quicken are you using?  (Help -> About Quicken)
    Signature: