Incorrect Entry Amount in Projected Balances

Have had this issue for a long time and would like to correct. Have an entry for home mortgage payment every month that is approximately $1300 too high in the Projected Balances screen. Have checked Bills and totals are correct. Have checked calendar and totals are correct. Have read some of the community threads on similar issue and tried what I could, but not all responses seem to apply to my Quicken setup. How do I get the correct amount to appear for my monthly mortgage payment in the Projected Balances screen??

Best Answer

• Frank2
    Frank2 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    That did it! Deleted entry and re-entered. Problem solved. Think over the years the changing mortgage payment and resulting changes to the individual categories that made up the payment was not being correctly entered and tabulated in the Bill reminder, even though the total payment was correct. Thanks for putting me on the right track after all this time!

Answers

• Rich_M
    Rich_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Frank2 So you're saying that you have a Bill Reminder for this payment that is listed on the Projected Balances screen with a different amount than the actual reminder, can I assume that when you enter the reminder, the register transaction entry is correct?

It's wrong on Projected Balances, but right everywhere else?
    Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10 Pro
  • Frank2
    Frank2 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Yes, that is correct. I searched for a possible source of the error, but can not locate any incorrect entry other than the reminder entry on the Projected Balances screen.
  • Rich_M
    Rich_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    @Frank2 Can I assume you already tried Validating your file?  Also try Super Validate by holding down Ctrl+Shift before you click Validate and Repair, it will say Super Validate if done right.
  • Frank2
    Frank2 Member ✭✭
    Yes, performed Super Validate...same result. The entry is incorrect on the Projected Balances screen, but correct elsewhere.
  • Rich_M
    Rich_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Frank2 ... Also deleting and recreating the reminder I would guess.
  • Frank2
    Frank2 Member ✭✭
    Nope...will do right now
  • Frank2
    Frank2 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    That did it! Deleted entry and re-entered. Problem solved. Think over the years the changing mortgage payment and resulting changes to the individual categories that made up the payment was not being correctly entered and tabulated in the Bill reminder, even though the total payment was correct. Thanks for putting me on the right track after all this time!
  • Rich_M
    Rich_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    @frank2 The way this was going ... I was sure you were gonna say you did that already ... glad that put an end to it.  :)
  • JedDixon
    JedDixon Member ✭✭
    This same problem has been bugging me forever too and I came here determined to find the silver bullet that would finally end it. I started to implement the blunt-instrument solution that @Frank2 suggested when I stumbled across what I think could be the cause of the issue.

On the Project Balances tab, in the Upcoming Bills and Income section, I clicked on the Action button next to the offending line item. In the dropdown list for Edit, I clicked on "Edit This Instance and All Future Instances." Having previously gone down this path, the Amount Due field already showed the correct amount I wanted, however it stubbornly wasn't showing on the list of Upcoming Bills and Income. This time, though, I clicked in the Details box and then the Split button next to the Category field. This brought up the Split Transaction window. In my case it showed three lines. Line #1 contained the category for my Loan Principle account and the amount I had been using prior to changing to the new amount. Line #2 showed the account for Interest Paid and the amount I normally paid. And Line #3 showed an uncategorized additional amount which, when added to the amount in Line#1, yielded the correct total I was trying to show in the Project Balances list. I increased Line #1 by this amount, which then automatically deleted the uncategorized amount, then I clicked OK a couple times to get back to the Edit Bill Reminder window. Once I clicked on Done, the amount of the line time in the Projected Balances list changed to the amount I wanted to show.

A long-winded way to say "edit the line items of the item's split" and that should fix the issue.