I have very poor internet connection. Will quicken operate without an internet connection?

Options
leejester
leejester Member
edited November 2020 in Before you Buy
I have very poor internet connection. Will quicken operate without an internet connection?

Best Answer

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It can short-term, but it will need internet for updates, periodic authentication and of course, bank/finance downloads. You should qualify what you mean by poor. Is it slow connection speeds or drops out often. The former is OK, the later will prove problematic.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @leejester

As @GeoffG indicated, Quicken CAN work without and internet connection BUT there are significant issues around keeping Quicken up-to-date, because the application updates throughout the subscription period.

If you are content with not using many of the features of Quicken - that is, if you plan to manually enter all your transactions and don't need to download security prices for investments or use other timesaving features, you can use the application without an internet connection but I believe most users would find that to be unacceptable.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If your use case is manual entry then I would actually recommend going with Quicken 2013 but you can get for free which other than downloading the program itself and the last patch that would be all the need for an internet connection.

On the other hand if you want to download transactions that of course will require an internet connection. And they are sending out patch updates free often and they are pretty big in the 130 to 200 megabytes. When you update transactions it looks for these patches so that might be really slow to download especially if you have dropouts. So given a real slow internet connection you might get long delays when a patch is ready.  But you could also manually download these patches so that might be a way to control it to download only in you can get somewhere where you have a better connection.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Options
    leejester said:
    Since you are online and posting into this forum - I guess you need to share some details about what you consider a poor connection.
    Quicken is a desktop software program - not a web based or cloud based product
    I'm using a 2MB internet link - and everything works fine....

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Options
    [removed - violation of community guideines]

I happen to run a 2MB internet link -
    and evything works fine for me...
    every website, every email, every online linked software program...

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Options
    ps56k said:
    Do you realize what a ridiculous statement that is... 
    I happen to run a 2MB internet link -
    and evything works fine for me...
    every website, every email, every online linked software program... 
    And yet that is what that article says!

Clearly some "expert" doesn't know how things work.

In truth Quicken is quite low bandwidth application with the exception of when it is downloading updates.

EDIT  and even then it is more about how long it will take, not if it will work.  About the only place I think it might come up would be in sending in problem reports where you include your data file or other big attachments.  There MIGHT be a timeout there.

AND to be clear by "updates" I mean updating Quicken itself.  Not when it is downloading transactions and such.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.