Home Before you Buy
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Not ready to update?

loyal customerloyal customer Member
edited November 2020 in Before you Buy
I have just been told that I have to buy Quicken 2020 because I can't use my 2017 program any longer. I have been a customer for several years (I think bought first one in 1998) upgrading usually every four years. But I don't like not being able to use my Quicken 2017 program just because the company wants to sell me a new one. Anybody with help or wisdom for the problem?

Best Answer

Answers

• Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    There is nothing stopping you from using Quicken 2017 as long as you like in manual entry mode.

The only reason you would have to switch to Quicken Subscription (2018 and beyond) is if you want some of the online services like downloading transactions or another feature that Quicken Subscription has that Quicken 2017 doesn't.
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have just been told that I have to buy Quicken 2020 because I can't use my 2017 program any longer.
    By whom? How will you not be able to use and how do you expect to use it going forward?
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 20H2
  • I don't use online services. But I have gotten an error message "Your data file was last used with Quicken unknown" But I had used Quicken 2017. When I talked to tech, I was told I would have to upgrade to 2020.
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like either your data file or Quicken program has gotten corrupted.
    I suggest you start by restoring from a backup.
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • It was a Tech from the company that informed me. I can't open any of my data without getting the error message. I would use it to record my transactions like I've been doing for the past 22 years. And at tax time print out my report.
  • Thank you so very much for listening to me. I have just been able to restore it from the latest back-up. I don't know why the Quicken Tech guy didn't suggest or recommend this.
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you so very much for listening to me. I have just been able to restore it from the latest back-up. I don't know why the Quicken Tech guy didn't suggest or recommend this.
    Hi #"loyal customer ,

Review this FAQ:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7307115/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-how-you-are-connected-to-the-internet

The FAQ has all information in one place.
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R31.20  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.6 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 21322.1000
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19042.804

Note: Product What's New in Quicken is grayed out.. Also Year is stuck on 2020 and Copyright Date is stuck 2018 in About Quicken.

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

This discussion has been closed.