Can't Get Data File Onto New Computer

Dstone001
Dstone001 Member ✭✭
I just got a new computer. I put Quicken for Mac (subscription) on it. I'm trying to copy over my data file from my old computer. Apparently, it's in Library - Application Support - Quicken. When I navigate to Application Support, I need to click on Go - Control to see the Quicken folder -- but I can't see the data file. However, if I do a search, it appears, and according to the properties of the file, it should be in the Quicken folder. Help please.

Best Answer

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    I'm not sure from your description if you can see the contents of the Library folder. If not, you should be holding down Option when clicking the Go menu in the Finder. 

Another way to get there is to open Quicken, then click menu File > Show "filename" in Finder. 

BTW, I strongly recommend that you compress the file before moving it, then uncompress it on the new computer to avoid possible file permissions errors. Another way to accomplish this is in Quicken, click menu File > Save a Backup. You can save it anywhere you want, move it to the new computer, then restore it. The backup is a compressed file which will also avoid possible permissions errors.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    I'm not sure from your description if you can see the contents of the Library folder. If not, you should be holding down Option when clicking the Go menu in the Finder. 

Another way to get there is to open Quicken, then click menu File > Show "filename" in Finder. 

BTW, I strongly recommend that you compress the file before moving it, then uncompress it on the new computer to avoid possible file permissions errors. Another way to accomplish this is in Quicken, click menu File > Save a Backup. You can save it anywhere you want, move it to the new computer, then restore it. The backup is a compressed file which will also avoid possible permissions errors.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Also just to clarify, if it is in Quicken's default location, you should find it here:

Your home folder
          ^-- Library
                ^-- Application Support
                      ^-- Quicken
                            ^-- Documents
                                  ^-- (your file name).quicken

(In you post above, you didn't list the last enclosing folder, Documents.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.