Why does my HELOC account have "Hide in transaction list" selected and greyed out?

I want to make additional payments and it shows up in category list but when you try to select it for an additional payment, it does not show in the list and you can't manually type it name in. I need help to fix this problem. Help me determine if I set the HELOC account up wrong. I have set two previously account and did not have this problem. Thanks,

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020 Answer ✓
    Hi again @SueLogas

Sorry that I misinterpreted your post.

To answer your original question - now that I understand that you were describing how the loan looked after a download - yes, I would suggest that you start over and, when asked on setup - you should indicate that it will be an "offline account".  This will give you a manual loan account.  After that is established, you should delete the old download loan account.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

{edited for typo)

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    HI @Robbie Norman,

When you setup the HELOC account in Quicken, did you elect to have it download from the Financial institution (i.e. is it a "connected" loan)?  If so, there is no account register.  That is one of the drawbacks of setting it up that way.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Thanks for your help. So, how should I set it up to be able to have it both download from the bank and have a register that tracks all payments/withdrawals and be able to make payments into it whenever I want to. Thanks,
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for your help. So, how should I set it up to be able to have it both download from the bank and have a register that tracks all payments/withdrawals and be able to make payments into it whenever I want to. Thanks,
    You can't.  That is the choice you have to make.  Either downloading, and no register.  Or no downloading, and have the register.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @Robbie Norman

@Chris_QPW is correct, it is either one or the other.  I would suggest that you revert to the "manual method" of tracking the HELOC, principally because it has a register, which not only makes it easy to "make the additional payment" but also because there really isn't a great advantage to downloading a loan account.  For example, the "scheduled" payments typically don't vary, and Quicken does the amortization calculation, without the download feature, and there's less chance of having problems in the future.  And, after all, tracking a mortgage type account is much simpler than a checking account, which has a multitude of variation in the types and the number of monthly transactions.

Anyway, good luck going forward!

Frankx

• This just blows my mind. This is a HELOC I have had for seven years. This it the second time I have had modify my handling of the same account. The two previous editions of the HELOC allowed me to have a register and download transactions from the financial institution. This last change has baffled me for the last two week as I have not gotten the level of support from the bank that you folks have given me. THANK YOU!! What has changed? Has Quicken changed the way it handles HELOCs or has the bank changed it's method. It is still at the original bank but the first change was necessitated by an increase in the credit limit and had a new account number. The latest was initiated by the bank because they installed new software and new account numbers. We were locked out for about a week as they changed over to the new system. When I tried to connect after the blackout, the old account came back with an all caps notice the account had been paid off. I was tempted to shout "Hallelujah" but I knew it must be a mistake. I checked online and the loan amount checked with my then current Quicken register. Several calls to customer
    no-service and tech-help provided no help and wasted several hours. Thanks again and if you have any more suggestions, don't hesitate to post them.
    Thanks
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well the history goes like this.

Until several years ago Quicken didn't download any loan accounts.
    But to get around this some financial institutions presented their loan accounts as checking or credit card accounts and as such downloading was done like that, with Quicken not really knowing it is a loan account.

When they finally decided to support downloading of loan accounts they didn't do it the way most people thought it would be done.  People thought they would keep everything the same with the loan accounts only downloading the net amounts and still using the loan wizard for the details, which are in a split in the checking account not the loan account.

But they used this as an opportunity to tackle another problem they had.  Financial institutions create tons of unusual payment schedules and people were asking for them to support them.  Instead of doing that they decided instead that they would download the details from the financial institution and as such "just believe what the financial institution sends".  Along with that they believed that if they let the user make entries in the register it could get out of whack with what the financial institution is sending and they had no way to keep them in sync other than not allow it.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • SueLogas
    SueLogas Member ✭✭
    So I have a HELOC which says Loan Paid off also. Do I have to start over with that account and make it manual method of tracking? Do I delete the old account?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @SueLogas,

You are in a much different place from the above poster.  Given that your loan is at the end of its life cycle, I would not recommend starting over.  If the balance in Quicken is zero (and the loan is paid off, you are done.  If, for some reason, you have a small balance (either negative or positive) I would suggest that you simply make an entry that will zero-out the account balance (you can post it to interest expense or some other general expense category) and you are done.

Let me know if you have any followups,

Frankx

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    @Robbie Norman

The short answer is - Quicken changed the way these types of loans are handled/recorded IF you make the account a download account.  You can still set it up as a manual account - and for a loan type of account that is usually the best approach, in my view.

Frankx

• SueLogas
    SueLogas Member ✭✭
    Hi, @Frankx -

The loan is very much NOT paid off. It happened on a download. I was able to download a checking acct at the same company - TriCounties Bank, but not the HELOC. I can not get into it to enter any type of transaction.

SueLogas
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020 Answer ✓
    Hi again @SueLogas

Sorry that I misinterpreted your post.

To answer your original question - now that I understand that you were describing how the loan looked after a download - yes, I would suggest that you start over and, when asked on setup - you should indicate that it will be an "offline account".  This will give you a manual loan account.  After that is established, you should delete the old download loan account.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

{edited for typo)

• feech
    feech Member
    I am having the same issue. Why do I have to recreate the account? Now I have to recreate the hundreds of transactions in it? WTH?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @feech,

Please don't shoot the messenger.  I am a fellow Quicken user, I did not create the problem, and my post above was just laying out the facts for that user.  You may not have liked that answer but it wasn't unhelpful.

The auto-loan approach has its flaws in some cases and  - if you want to have accurate records -the only alternative in some limited cases (like the poster's that I replied to) is to recreate the account transactions.

Frankx

This discussion has been closed.