What online banks support Quicken Bank Bill Pay

I have been using Flagstar Bank with Bank Bill Pay for years. I have been unable, however, to connect for the last two weeks.
I would like to open a checking account that is online and supports Bank Bill Pay (not Bill Manager). Ally Bank told me that they do. I opened an account there. They don't. Then I checked with Discover Bank. Quicken confirmed that they support Quicken Direct Connect. I opened an account there. They don't support Bank Bill Pay.
Quicken has a list of banks that support Direct Connect but support for Bank Bill Pay is unknown.
Anyone know of an online bank that does support Bank Bill Pay?

Best Answer

Answers

• harris48154
    harris48154 Member ✭✭✭
    This was very helpful, Sherlock. Thank you.
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    @Sherlock, Do the ZIP/UNZIP folders always contain the most up-to-date version? (there are the 2018, 2019 and the Zip/UNZIP folders). On mine, the file in the Zip/UNZIP and 2019 have the exact same timestamp.  TIA.

- QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    BK said:
    @Sherlock, Do the ZIP/UNZIP folders always contain the most up-to-date version? (there are the 2018, 2019 and the Zip/UNZIP folders). On mine, the file in the Zip/UNZIP and 2019 have the exact same timestamp.  TIA.

Quicken should update the fidir.txt to the most recent version automatically.  The 2018 folder is left over from an earlier Quicken version.  If you did a clean uninstall and install, you would not have the 2018 folder.  The current program loads the fidir.txt from the 2019 folder.  Quicken downloads the most recent fidir.zip file, extracts the files from the fidir.zip file into the UNZIP folder, and copies fidir.txt to the 2019 folder.

We are able to manually coerce Quicken into updating the fidir.txt to the most recent version: https://www.quicken.com/support/what-do-if-my-bank-not-listed-quicken-or-if-my-bank-was-recently-added-quicken
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    I did a super duper clean uninstall/reinstall yesterday and 2018 folder got installed! No big deal. (and yes, did the Update FI as well to see which timestamped was updated).  So you confirmed what I suspected.  Many thanks!
    Edit: I should clarify that I still reinstalled R28.24 because it has worked solid so far without all the recent noise.  So perhaps the 2018 folder is no longer in the newer installs.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    BK said:
    I did a super duper clean uninstall/reinstall yesterday and 2018 folder got installed! No big deal. (and yes, did the Update FI as well to see which timestamped was updated).  So you confirmed what I suspected.  Many thanks!
    Edit: I should clarify that I still reinstalled R28.24 because it has worked solid so far without all the recent noise.  So perhaps the 2018 folder is no longer in the newer installs.
    Either your super duper clean uninstall/reinstall yesterday was not a complete clean uninstall or you may have neglected to download a current install program.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    For what is worth I find it more convenient to keep a bookmark to the Intuit URL for the file:
    https://ofx-prod-filist.intuit.com/qw2800/data/fidir.txt
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Sherlock , I ensure that my uninstalls are as clean as a new system including clean registry entries, and I visually verify them.  But yes, I did use an older install file (which explains it) because I didn't know the ramification of using the recent one and then 'downgrading' to my desired patch level, given many changes and issues.  Thanks again.

• harris48154
    harris48154 Member ✭✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    >  The list of financial institutions I generated in the spring of this year providing online payment services from within Quicken 2020 is attached.  You may glean the same from the fidir.txt file Quicken maintains within the hidden \ProgramData\Quicken folder.

Sherlock,

It looks as though the list includes banks that could be used with Quicken Bill Manager but not Bank Bill Pay. I am trying to find a bank that supports the latter, Bank Bill Pay. Is there something in the file that would help show that?

For example, Discover Bank is included in that list, showing support for Direct Connect, but they do not support Bank Bill Pay.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    > @Sherlock said:
    >  The list of financial institutions I generated in the spring of this year providing online payment services from within Quicken 2020 is attached.  You may glean the same from the fidir.txt file Quicken maintains within the hidden \ProgramData\Quicken folder.

Sherlock,

It looks as though the list includes banks that could be used with Quicken Bill Manager but not Bank Bill Pay. I am trying to find a bank that supports the latter, Bank Bill Pay. Is there something in the file that would help show that?

For example, Discover Bank is included in that list, showing support for Direct Connect, but they do not support Bank Bill Pay.
    Discover Bank is not on the list I provided.

If you're examining the fidir.txt, you're looking only for the entries that offer PAYMENT with DIRECT.

• harris48154
    harris48154 Member ✭✭✭
    That was my mistake. I was looking at fidir.txt, not the pdf that you provided.
    Thanks, once again.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Just so that if is clear what Quicken Bill Manager is, it isn't in fact a "payment system".

What Quicken Bill Manager does is log into the "biller's website" and schedules a payment from there (pull transaction instead or a push transaction).

Therefore you will never see it listed what is supported by a given financial institution.  It is instead what the biller's website supports, which isn't what is listed in the fidir.txt file.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • harris48154
    harris48154 Member ✭✭✭
    Ah! Makes sense. Thanks
This discussion has been closed.