Entering dividends

Options
When updating investment accounts, you used to be able to enter a stock name, now the system requires you to enter the stock symbol. Is there any way to use the stock name, especially with bonds?

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @cptdiver,

I am not sure how you are going about adding a new security - where Quicken required a security symbol, but I suggest that you add a new security as follows:

1) Go to "Tools" > "Security List" > click on the "Add Security" button at the bottom left of the screen
    2) You'll see this pop-up box:

You can enter the name of whatever security you want to add and it will return the list and/or name of that security.  Click next and follow additional instructions...

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• cptdiver
    cptdiver Member
    Options
    The problem is not entering a new security, the problem is when I am posting new dividends. I have to enter a symbol instead of the stock name. So for VISA, symbol 'v', there are about 20 stocks I own that have a 'v' in their name, and Visa is listed last. Before I could type 'vi' and it would be right there. Now I have to find the security, click on it because the transaction won't process with a symbol. Going from mouse to keyboard and back is time-consuming and problematic. Too many times I thought I had clicked on the stock name only find the symbol there while I was happily typing away.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @cptdiver

Okay, now I understand what you are saying - using the "security name" field can be a pain.  There are two other options that you could consider that should make it a little easier.

The one I use, since dividends are usually paid quarterly and often are for the same amount, is to simply locate the last quarter's transaction and use a right click > "copy transaction" and then a "paste transaction" in the next blank transaction line, and then edit the date (and amount if necessary).

You could also save the transaction by using right click "memorize investment transaction" for all your dividend transactions and then recall them when a new dividend is paid.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -