One Step Update doesn't operate as it should

One Step Update doesn't operate the way it should.

When I do a daily update OSU typically runs an update of security quotes without waiting for any input from me. I have to wait for it to finish, then I have to run it again to update transactions. In order to update transactions I have to check the box for every account, one at a time. It opens with no accounts selected. There is no option to select all.

I may not want to update transactions for all accounts every time. In a previous version my selections from the previous run were saved, so I could run them again without having to check any boxes at all.

I used to think the tool was broken and would be fixed in a new update. But it's been this way so long that it is apparent nobody recognizes it as broken.

It is broken. The interface is lousy. It needs to be improved. I'm pretty sure it's not a difficult thing to fix.

Best Answer

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    what version..... Help --> About Quicken

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• wjmcnicoll
    wjmcnicoll Member ✭✭✭
    My current version is R30.10, build 27.1.30.10. I just updated. But OSU has been behaving as I described for quite a while, through multiple updates.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    After you have checked the boxes that you want, do you ever click on the Apply button which is essentially a save these settings button?

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• wjmcnicoll
    wjmcnicoll Member ✭✭✭
    The Apply button doesn't seem to do anything except deactivate the Update Now button on my next use of OSU. It's not saving my selections. I can't find anything in Help that explains what the Apply button is for. What is Apply supposed to mean? Once again, either it's broken or it's a terrible design.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    As stated above, it saves the current settings.  In the past, if you made changes to which accounts were to be downloaded, you had to complete the OSU to save those changes, but they added the Apply button to save the settings without doing an OSU.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Check if Windows Defender feature Ransomware protection is enabled.
    If so, configure it to add Quicken as an "allowed app" without turning off Ransomware protection. Perform the last step in:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7857675/faq-windows-defender-controlled-folder-access

• wjmcnicoll
    wjmcnicoll Member ✭✭✭
    My Controlled folder access has been Off.
  • wjmcnicoll
    wjmcnicoll Member ✭✭✭
    > @splasher said:
    > After you have checked the boxes that you want, do you ever click on the Apply button which is essentially a save these settings button?

splasher, have you seen documentation on the Apply button anywhere? I can't find any. I was able to chat with a user support agent. He said he would do a hard reset, of exactly what I'm still not sure, but so far nothing has changed. The Apply button does nothing.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I can say is that it works for me.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have seen quite a few reports on here of this where the selections on which accounts to update doesn't get saved.  From what I have seen no one has come up with a reason why this happens for just some people.

As far as I know these settings are in the the data file itself, and as such looking for block of config files and such hasn't lead to finding a fix there.  If you think about it, the setting has to be in the data file, because each data file might have a different set of accounts.

So about the only thing I can think of as a wild guess at a fix would be to run Validate and Repair, because the problem is in the data file.  But even if my guess is right about where the problem is there certainly isn't any guarantee that Validate and Repair would fix it.

I do think it would be useful to create another data file with maybe just few accounts in it and test if the problem is there or not.  If the problem isn't in the new data file then that would really point to something in the data file.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • wjmcnicoll
    wjmcnicoll Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I ran a super validate. Now my settings are being saved.
This discussion has been closed.