Stock Splits

Options
A recent update made some 18 - 20 year old securities show up once again in my "Holdings" folder. I had originally posted stock splits where the split was not mathematically an even number and now after this Quicken upgrade I have an odd portion of shares showing as an existing holding after I sold it 20 years ago. It shows a balance of 0.000009 shares as one example. I cannot delete it. I cannot sell it. I have 6 of these entries that have just popped up.
If I go back to the original stock split transaction and put in a figure with 8 to 11 digits after the decimal I can zero the quantity of existing shares but the listing remains in my Holdings folder.
They've been gone for 20 years and now all of a sudden they reappear. I spent 3 hours with tech support the other day and came away without an answer.
To me it's a glitch in the update but they don't address that.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Options
    The R27.20 US release and R28.15 Canadian release included a change increasing the number of decimal places to 6 for fractional share holdings.  You should be able to resolve the fractional shares by editing the final Sold or SoldX transaction and check Sell all shares in this account.

• BillV
    BillV Member
    Options
    Sell all shares function does not work. If anything it gives me the pop up saying use two transactions to go short. I am fed up trying to deal between six and ten digits after the decimal trying to find the right combination to get rid of something like 0.000008 residual shares. The programmer that set this up should be assigned the duty of clearing it.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BillV said:
    Sell all shares function does not work. If anything it gives me the pop up saying use two transactions to go short. I am fed up trying to deal between six and ten digits after the decimal trying to find the right combination to get rid of something like 0.000008 residual shares. The programmer that set this up should be assigned the duty of clearing it.
    It sounds like you may not be editing the last Sold or SoldX transaction for the security in the account.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BillV said:
    I spent 3 hours with tech support the other day and came away without an answer.
    To me it's a glitch in the update but they don't address that.
    Hi @BillV

Sorry to hear that you are having these issues, and if I had been on with tech support for 3 hours without an answer, I would be very frustrated.

I would suspect that you've already tried this - but, just in case, did you try the "Sell - Sell all securities in this account" after entering the security name?  I would think that would clear out the fractional shares without any adverse effects.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -