Why does my TD Ameritrade HSA account have the wrong fund?

Options
gworona
gworona Member ✭✭
I have a HSABank TD Ameritrade investment account to invest my HSA money. I bought VBIAX (balance index fund). When I added the account in Quicken, it downloaded lots of transactions. When I looked at the holdings for that account it says that I have VBMFX (bond fund). The number of shares is correct and I don't have any other TD Ameritrade accounts that got mixed up. The last buy transaction shows that I bought the fund at a price per share that corresponds to VBIAX, but it says I bought VBMFX. How can that be?

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi again @gworona,

Thanks for the information on whether there was a potential exchange of shares in the past involving those two funds, that is helpful because it eliminates that as a potential cause.

However, I think that you misinterpreted what I was trying to say, or perhaps I didn't say it clearly.  I am aware that the two Vanguard funds have existed for some time - what I was trying to say is that I believe there is a problem with your Quicken file involving those two securities.  To test this, I suggest that you do the following:

Can you provide some information on both of them?  In your Quicken file, go to:

1) "Tools" > "Security List"
    2) Page down until you reach each security (VBIAK and VBMFX) and for each, let me know the following:

a) the exact name of each;
    b) the "CUSIP ID" number for each.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @gworona,

Have you gone online and compared the information downloaded with the online account transactions and balances?  If that information agrees with what Quicken is showing (i.e. - what you downloaded) it is likely there was an error in a purchase transaction(s).

Let me know what you find.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• gworona
    gworona Member ✭✭
    Options
    Yes.  What I see online is that I have 651.64 shares of VBIAX currently at $43.15.  What Quicken thinks I have (what was downloaded) is 651.637 shares of VBMFX currently at $43.15 (actual price is $11.64).
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Okay, the good news is that the number of shares in Quicken and actually in the account (i.e. online balance) are in agreement.  However it seems that somehow there is a mixup with the security name in Quicken and a corresponding  issue with the security price.

You said " it downloaded lots of transactions" - is it possible that in the past you may have owned the other security and somewhere in that transaction history you have an exchange of shares (or a sell & buy) when you moved from one to the other?  Also, another possible issue may be that somehow the information/identity of the two securities has been changed (likely a name change or mixup).  You should probably review those transactions to see if you can identify any incorrect transactions.

Frankx

• gworona
    gworona Member ✭✭
    Options
    >>is it possible that
    No. I only invested in one fund in that account in the 2 years that I've had it.

>> somehow the information/identity of the two securities has been changed
    No. The two Vanguard funds have been around 20 years or more. There are 3 buy transactions, 9 dividend reinvest transactions, and a bunch of cash transfers in. Pretty simple.
    Is there a way to see the file that got transferred from TDA to verify that they sent the wrong fund name when I downloaded the transactions from them? How do I prove to TDA that it was their bad data?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi again @gworona,

Thanks for the information on whether there was a potential exchange of shares in the past involving those two funds, that is helpful because it eliminates that as a potential cause.

However, I think that you misinterpreted what I was trying to say, or perhaps I didn't say it clearly.  I am aware that the two Vanguard funds have existed for some time - what I was trying to say is that I believe there is a problem with your Quicken file involving those two securities.  To test this, I suggest that you do the following:

Can you provide some information on both of them?  In your Quicken file, go to:

1) "Tools" > "Security List"
    2) Page down until you reach each security (VBIAK and VBMFX) and for each, let me know the following:

a) the exact name of each;
    b) the "CUSIP ID" number for each.

Frankx

• gworona
    gworona Member ✭✭
    Options
    Before you asked this last question, I decided that I just want share balances so I deleted the account and re-added it. I now see that I have the correct shares (VBIAX) in the account. So there is less of a concern that this happened. Thanks for your help just the same.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @gworona,

Understand completely, besides with an HSA account, no real need to track your cost basis.

Take care.

Frankx

This discussion has been closed.