Delete Series Greyed Out

Options
I'm unable to delete a bunch of extraneous payees that are a result of problems setting up after the Metavante BillPay service was dropped. I'm told I need to restore from a version before the problem began. That's before 7/10/20 which seems insane to me. After a lot of time "chatting" I was told to contact "Quicken>Help>Report a Problem" that as far as I can determine doesn't exist. Any help out there?

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Report a Problem is for reporting a bug with the software. If the information you provide is able to be verified/replicated, it gets passed to the development team for investigation and fixing. You do not get a response to such reports, except in rare cases where they need to reach out for more information. You do not know if they have verified your report or not, and even if they do, some bugs are fixed within a week and some not for many months or longer. So obviously this is not an approach that works for resolving a problem with your data.

Unfortunately, it's likely that all you can try is to reach out to Quicken Support again in the hope a different agent will come up with a solution. 

There is also a process of exporting your data and reimporting it into a new file -- but you lose a lot of configuration (accounts need to be set up again for downloading, custom reports and budgets need to be recreated, attachments are not attached) so this should be a last resort method of recovering your transaction data.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • lancegoddard
    lancegoddard Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you. The chat support person was gone for quite a while so I assume they were asking others for input to my problem. As a result, I assume I'm SOL. I'd be willing to do the export/import procedure because I have very few reports, budgets, etc. Could you point me to a source for information on the process? Thanks again.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options
    Hello @lancegoddard,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this and have not received a follow-up response yet.

Per your request, I've provided the export/import steps below.
    1. Got to File
    2. Export
    3. Quicken Windows Transfer File (QXF)... (even if you are on Mac)
    4. Save the exported file somewhere you can easily locate it (i.e.: DeskTop)
    5. Go back to File
    6. New...
    7. Start from Scratch
    8. Follow the prompts until it takes you to the new and empty data file
    9. Close the Add Checking Account pop-up
    10. Back to File
    11. Import
    12. Quicken Windows Transfer File (QDF, QXF)...
    13. Select the .QXF file you previously exported
    14. Click Ok once you receive the message saying that the import was successful
    Once that is done, you should see that all your banking accounts (Checking, savings, money markets, credit cards, etc) were added to this new data file. Any investment accounts (if you have them) will remain in your original file and not be imported to the new file as these account types do not export nor import. You can find more detailed information in this support article regarding what .QXF does and/or does not export/import under the section titled "More about QXF files".

If this resolves the issue, you can rename and move forward using the new file you imported your data to. Please, note that if you have your accounts set up for automatic downloads-- you may need to re-establish those connections in the new file.

Below are steps in case you would like to rename the new file from the name Quicken will auto-assign to it.
    1. File
    2. Rename
    If you wish to switch back to your original file, please follow the steps below.
    1. File
    2. Open Recent
    3. Select the original data file name
    4. Click Open
    I hope this helps and please let us know if you have any additional questions!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Any investment accounts (if you have them) will remain in your original file and not be imported to the new file as these account types do not export nor import. You can find more detailed information in this support article regarding what .QXF does and/or does not export/import under the section titled "More about QXF files".
    @Quicken Anja  @lancegoddard  The paragraph above is incorrect information. Quicken Mac's export to QXF does include investment transactions, and Quicken Mac can also import them. (Quicken Windows cannot import investment transactions from a QXF file, but Quicken Mac can.) Therefore, in Quicken Mac, exporting to .qxf and importing into a new file does not lose investment data. It does, as has been mentioned above, leave behind all reports, budgets, account download connection configurations and attachments.

The referenced support article is incomplete, because it talks about going from Mac to Windows and Windows to Mac -- but it does not contemplate or address going Mac to Mac, as is being discussed here.

To verify this, I just exported my data file to a .QXF file, started a new file, and imported the .QXF. All my investment transactions were exported and imported properly. (There was a $55 discrepancy in one investment account which I did not bother to hunt down; all others matched the original file's balances exactly.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.