Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Password Vault -- Does the Vault "NEED" to have a password?

I'm the only user of Quicken on this computer and in my household. I'm getting weary of typing in the password to my Password Vault in order to do my One Step Update. Is there any way I can do One Step Updates, using the account passwords that are stored in the Vault, but not have password protection on the vault itself? In my case, it's pointless to have that protection.

Comments

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Vault requires a password and there is no way to remove that requirement.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    One thing that people that don't want to have a password on their password vault don't take into consideration is that the password vault is encrypted and to encrypt something you need a key and that key is the password.  Quicken Inc isn't going to store passwords in an insecure way.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    mechapm said:
    I'm the only user of Quicken on this computer and in my household. I'm getting weary of typing in the password to my Password Vault in order to do my One Step Update. Is there any way I can do One Step Updates, using the account passwords that are stored in the Vault, but not have password protection on the vault itself? In my case, it's pointless to have that protection.
    Hi @mechapm ,

You need to pick your poisons.

You can opt out of having to use the Password Vault and don't need to type in it at all.

However you need to type in the Passwords for each account that you update.

That's one way.

Another way, is to use RoboForm and have RoboForm save the Password Vault's Password. Therefore, have Roboform Auto-fill the Vault Password. But do you want Roboform to have an important password?

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R32.12  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.6 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 21376.1
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19042.928

Note: Holding Down the Left Shift Key or Left Ctrl Key produces Window with Quicken 2019 in the Title Bar when click About Quicken,

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    thecreator said:
    But do you want Roboform to have an important password?
    I certainly do.  RoboForm stores all its data in know encrypted formats.  Very secure.
    It is where I store all my usernames, passwords and encrypted notes for things like "security questions".  With the Password Vault we have been told it is encrypted, but never what kind of encryption it uses.

What's more I can open RoboForm with my face using a camera compatible with Windows Hello (supports finger print scanners too, and of course a master password).  And that is exactly what I do.

One click on "Vault Password and it fills in the password and selected Update Now.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    thecreator said:
    But do you want Roboform to have an important password?
    I certainly do.  RoboForm stores all its data in know encrypted formats.  Very secure.
    It is where I store all my usernames, passwords and encrypted notes for things like "security questions".  With the Password Vault we have been told it is encrypted, but never what kind of encryption it uses.

What's more I can open RoboForm with my face using a camera compatible with Windows Hello (supports finger print scanners too, and of course a master password).  And that is exactly what I do.

One click on "Vault Password and it fills in the password and selected Update Now.
    Another password manager that works well with Quicken is KeyPass.  When prompted for the Password Vault password, I only need press the global auto-type shortcut (default Ctrl + Alt + A).
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the record, RoboForm can be downloaded from: https://www.roboform.com/

Hi @Chris_QPW ,

One thing is that Quicken has blocked the ability to use the mouse to right-click and paste the Quicken User ID password, but I can use Ctrl-V to paste the password in.

How did you get RoboForm to attach itself, as I am not blocking Roboform from attaching to Quicken?
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R32.12  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.6 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 21376.1
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19042.928

Note: Holding Down the Left Shift Key or Left Ctrl Key produces Window with Quicken 2019 in the Title Bar when click About Quicken,

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    So much technical talk that has drifted from the original question.
    It's a password vault. It wouldn't be much of a vault if it didn't require a key to open. Then it would just be a password cubby.
    :p
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • mechapm
    mechapm Member ✭✭
    > @Rocket J Squirrel said:
    > So much technical talk that has drifted from the original question.It's a password vault. It wouldn't be much of a vault if it didn't require a key to open. Then it would just be a password cubby. :p

See, I'd be happy with just a cubby.

Anyway, I was just curious. I don't mind typing the password in every time, there are worse problems in the world.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    How about going to TOOLS, Schedule Updates and then click "Prompt for Password vault password" and selecting the "At Windows startup" option.
    That should at least save you quite a few instances of typing the vault password ...  and it's what I use the my PC is itself secured.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • mechapm
    mechapm Member ✭✭
    > @NotACPA said:
    > How about going to TOOLS, Schedule Updates and then click "Prompt for Password vault password" and selecting the "At Windows startup" option.That should at least save you quite a few instances of typing the vault password ...  and it's what I use the my PC is itself secured.

I wasn't aware of that option, I'll have to check it out -- thanks!