Quicken Mac 6.01 Hangs at Launch

Quicken hangs at every launch and showing Not Responding in Activity Manager. 2017 MacBook Pro running a fresh install of Big Sur. Requires a Force Quit to end. Worked fine in Catalina

Best Answer

• jtenglish
    jtenglish Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Reopening without the current data file and redownloading/reinstalling did not work. Trying alternate user account DID work. I went back to the default user account, deleted the application, searched HD for all files with the word 'quicken, and deleted them. Reinstalled Quicken and worked as expected. It was a corrupted plist or similar file for which just deleting the application does not address.

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    That's odd; I haven't seen any other reports of this type of problem with 6.0 or 6.0.1 here on this forum yet.

There are a number of things to try. First, I'd try launching Quicken without opening your current data file. Do this by holding down the Shift key when you launch Quicken from your Dock or Applications folder. It should ask if you want to open your regular file; click Cancel. You should then be on the Let's Get Started Page. Select Start from Scratch and see if Quicken opens with a blank new file.

If that fails, you might try re-downloading the Quicken app from Quicken.com. Trash your copy in the Applications folder. Run the installer. After installation, does Quicken launch?

If that fails, I'd try a different account on your Mac. If you have another account, login into it and launch Quicken; if not, you can create a new account to test this temporarily via your System Preferences > Users & Groups. It won't find your current data file, but does it launch?

I'll stop there for now. Report back about what does or doesn't work.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jtenglish
    jtenglish Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Reopening without the current data file and redownloading/reinstalling did not work. Trying alternate user account DID work. I went back to the default user account, deleted the application, searched HD for all files with the word 'quicken, and deleted them. Reinstalled Quicken and worked as expected. It was a corrupted plist or similar file for which just deleting the application does not address.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Glad you got it figured out and are back up and running!
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.