Can't tag transfers

I can't tag transfers without receiving the error message " You are recording a transfer back into the same account". I'm not. I just want to tag it. Also searched the FAQs and tried adding a tag to the category field with a backslash. Neither work. What up?
THnaks

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forward slash, not backslash.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Quicken Starter Edition doesn't provide the tag functionality.  To use tags, we need to at least have the Deluxe functionality.
  • jmsalkeld
    jmsalkeld Member ✭✭
    Thanks Sherlock. I have deluxe. When I try to tag a transfer I get the error message " You are recording a transfer back into the same account". I also tried adding the backslash and tag in the Category field as per the FAQs. No error message but it doesn't take.
  • jmsalkeld
    jmsalkeld Member ✭✭
    > @"Rocket J Squirrel" said:
    > Forward slash, not backslash.(Image)

Thanks Rocket
    \ is the trick
    Still don't understand how the tag field affects category and gives that error message
  • jmsalkeld
    jmsalkeld Member ✭✭
    > @jmsalkeld said:
    > > @Rocket J Squirrel said:
    > > Forward slash, not backslash.(Image)
    >
    > Thanks Rocket
    > \ is the trick
    > Still don't understand how the tag field affects category and gives that error message

Doesn't always work
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    \ is the wrong slash.
    / is the correct slash.
    If you use Tags often, you can add a Tag column to your banking registers. That makes tagging easy to use and to see. Then the slash is not needed.
    If you are talking about an investment register, that's a little more difficult.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Mark Sanz
    Mark Sanz Member ✭✭
    edited November 2020
    I am interested in how to add Tag column to investment transactions. @Rocket J Squirrel you say 'a little more difficult'. Is there a way to do this?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    edited November 2020
    Mark Sanz said:
    I am interested in how to add Tag column to investment transactions. @Rocket J Squirrel you say 'a little more difficult'. Is there a way to do this?
    You cannot add a Tag column to investment registers. What I meant was that it's a little more difficult to add a tag to an investment transaction at all. You have to use the Category/Tag notation.
    Here's an investment transaction of mine with a tag (I tag tax payments with the tax year):
    And here's what the transaction looks like when edited. There is no sign of the tag.

I can type in the tag after the slash as shown in the screen grab below, but it disappears from the dialog immediately after leaving the Category field, as it looks above. It's still there in the transaction line in the register, but this is what I mean by Quicken making it difficult. It's actually easier to enter the slash and the tag directly into the register line as shown in the first screen grab and then Enter the transaction. I hope this makes sense to you.

• Mark Sanz
    Mark Sanz Member ✭✭
    Thank you @"Rocket J Squirrel" . I spent some time trying to understand this. I have Quicken 2020 for Windows. It looks a bit different. This works under the following conditions: 1) only works for investment cash transactions (income, withdrawal..) in investment accounts, 2) only works if you put the amount in MISCELLANEOUS.
    If you put a dividend in the correct line of Dividend, the ability to add a category is greyed out. Only works if you put it in Miscellaneous and then the CATEGORY FOR MISCELLANEOUS turns black. I had everything already in correct category so when I moved it miscellaneous, the correct category showed up on clicking in category like _Div. Then you can add "/xxx".
    In the register, it shows MiscInc but it has the correct category like "_IntInc/xxx". This then works in Cash Reports showing up under Income. I hope this helps others.
  • jmsalkeld
    jmsalkeld Member ✭✭
    Thanks Folks
    In Canada we can send cash via email or text message. It's called Interac. Because they register as Transfers (as in between accounts) when they are actually external transfer/payments Quicken treats them as inter-account transfers and adheres to the accounting principles accordingly.

A quick search shows that there are a few limited banking "networks"? that support this south of the 49th.

As suspected and learned during navigation of other challenges: Quicken is an American program with minimal accommodations for Canadian applications. Maybe some day.

I'll try for a refund. HA HA HA!!!
  • Mark Sanz
    Mark Sanz Member ✭✭
    We can do that many ways in America, PayPal, Venmo, Google Pay, just to name a few. All require access to either a credit card or your bank account. Typically free from a bank account. They work fine with Quicken. They draw/deposit from and appear in your underlying account, not a separate account for the service. So my Google Pay payments to others show up in my checking account. My Paypal shows up in my Visa. Venmo similar. They are not inter-account transfers as the service (Paypal...) is not a separate account as it deducts from or deposits to the underlying account. This should be a different thread though. A brief look at Interac web site suggests it is the same thing as the above services.