New Mac how to transfer and upgrade quicken

Options
bradm
bradm Member
We were running quicken 2017 on a 10 year old Mac. Just got a new Mac and would like to install quicken 2020 on it and transfer to data from the old Mac. What steps to take? Any potential issues?

Best Answer

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2020 Answer ✓
    Options
    1. Download the 2020 program onto the new Mac from quicken.com.
    2. Open Q2017 on the old Mac and click menu File > Show "filename" in Finder
    3. In the Finder, right-click on the quicken file and choose Compress "filename"
    4. Move this .zip file to the new Mac however you are able (thumb drive, Dropbox, etc.)
    5. On the new Mac, double click the .zip file to decompress it
    6. Open QM2020 on the new Mac, choose Start from Quicken 2017 File and point the dialog to the file you just decompressed. 
    QM2020 should import the 2017 file and you should be good to go. (The import will take a while.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2020 Answer ✓
    Options
    1. Download the 2020 program onto the new Mac from quicken.com.
    2. Open Q2017 on the old Mac and click menu File > Show "filename" in Finder
    3. In the Finder, right-click on the quicken file and choose Compress "filename"
    4. Move this .zip file to the new Mac however you are able (thumb drive, Dropbox, etc.)
    5. On the new Mac, double click the .zip file to decompress it
    6. Open QM2020 on the new Mac, choose Start from Quicken 2017 File and point the dialog to the file you just decompressed. 
    QM2020 should import the 2017 file and you should be good to go. (The import will take a while.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • bobeinor
    bobeinor Member
    Options
    Just purchased Q Deluxe 6.6.3 and installed on new MacBook. In file menu there is a choice to Import>"Quicken Mac 2017 (or 2016, 2015) file (quicken 2017)...". Selecting that results in new screen saying "Importing a Quicken Mac 2017 file will create a new data file." I choose "Create a New File" and get another new screen :Convert your Quicken Essentials file. Then "3 Easy Steps. 1.) Open Quicken Essentials & update your online accounts. Quit Quicken Essentials."
    Where do I get Quicken Essentials?
    My other question is will this Mac 2017 file be able to be read or imported to my Q Deluxe? I had been using Q on an iMac for many years. It recently died and am looking to import any past data that I did not back up locally (mea culpa!). Does Quicken retain it for me to retrieve?
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Options
    Hi @bobeinor,

Thank you for contacting the Community with these questions. I have attached a link on how to convert your data below which should help answer some of your questions: 

https://www.quicken.com/support/converting-your-data-quicken-mac

As for the past data that you did not backup locally, if you use the Quicken Cloud or if your data is located on the file that you are converting and importing then it will be located on your new Mac in your Quicken application. 

I hope this helps,
    Quicken Jasmine

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @bobeinor Do not use the menu choice for importing; you do NOT want to import your old file. You need to create a new file and have your old data converted for you.

But it's not clear to me from your post: do you have your Quicken 2017 data file from the old Mac or on any backups you have? It will be a file ending in .quicken2017.

If yes: select File > New and you will land on the Let's Get Started page. Select to  Start from a Quicken 2015, 2016 or 2017 file. You now select the Quicken 2017 data file, and the program will import the data and update it the the current database format. All your data should be present and you shouldn't miss a beat moving forward, except noting what's new since Quicken 2017.

If no — you have absolutely no backups — you may or may not be able to recover some of your data from Quicken Cloud, if you were syncing your data to Quicken Cloud. Quicken's Cloud storage is not a complete backup of your data file, so it may have limited history, and it doesn't have your settings, saved reports and certain types of accounts. In the past, there was absolutely no way to start new from only data in Quicken Cloud, but there's now a back door approach which may or may not work. If you find yourself in this boat and have no other option to restore your old date file, post back and we can share how you can try to recover whatever data might be saved in Quicken Cloud. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.