Why are transactions missing when I reconcile?

It may be something simple, but I've seen this multiple times. I clearly have Cleared (c) entries for say 10/30 and 11/6 in my bank account register, but when I reconcile for the month, ending on 11/10, they are not showing up! Hence, of course, it's not reconciling properly. I've double/triple-checked the dates and Balances information and register and I'm perplexed! Thoughts?

(Odd, there is no Category for 'reconciling' and it won't let me Tag this post with 'reconcile or reconciling. Hmmm...)

Answers

• gt00tx
    gt00tx Member ✭✭✭
    OK, well... after posting I just tried something. I fudged the statement ending date to 11/30 and baam! The 'missing' transaction are visible! I changed the date back to 11/10, and again, even though the transactions are prior to that date, they do not show up! Arrrgh!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The reconcile doesn't show transactions with a "Downloaded posting date" after the date you have entered for the statement ending date.  You can turn on "Downloaded posting date" by selecting the lower gear icon in the register.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • gt00tx
    gt00tx Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > The reconcile doesn't show transactions with a "Downloaded posting date" after the date you have entered for the statement ending date.  You can turn on "Downloaded posting date" by selecting the lower gear icon in the register.

Thanks, I do that!
    Oh wow, really? So to be clear, even though the clear date is within the end of statement date, if it is downloaded from the bank AFTER that date, it won't show? (Is that a glitchy thing? If intentional, how does it help someone? LOL)
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    No, you it isn't exactly like that.  It is the Downloaded posting date.  In other words it is the date that the financial institution said that the transaction posted on, not the date that you downloaded that transaction.
    Signature:
  • gt00tx
    gt00tx Member ✭✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > The reconcile doesn't show transactions with a "Downloaded posting date" after the date you have entered for the statement ending date.  You can turn on "Downloaded posting date" by selecting the lower gear icon in the register.

OK, well... I see no lower gear icon in the register. (?) There is one at the right end of the entry that is selected and there is one at the top right of the register, for various settings. What am I missing? Thx!
    I see the included image at the bottom of the reconcile window...
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭

The same menu is available on the top gear icon menu, as:
    Register Columns
    Signature:
  • gt00tx
    gt00tx Member ✭✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > The same menu is available on the top gear icon menu, as:
    > Register Columns

Gotcha... First of all, thanks for your help! I'm getting somewhere, I think.
    1) I wasn't looking for the Register Columns settings. I didn't know that's where I was supposed to look.
    2) I turned on 'Downloaded posting date' but it didn't change what shows up in the Reconcile window. I could see that those items were downloaded after the statement end date.
    3) I fudged the end date to allow them (and other later transactions which I didn't really need to reconcile) to show up, then I reconciled successfully, without choosing transactions that I didn't want to reconcile for this statement.

Thanks again Chris!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The idea on #2 wasn't to change Quicken's behavior, it was just to show you what Quicken was using for the reconcile.
    Signature:
  • gt00tx
    gt00tx Member ✭✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > The idea on #2 wasn't to change Quicken's behavior, it was just to show you what Quicken was using for the reconcile.

Gotcha!
  • Slider67
    Slider67 Member
    This post was helpful in finding the cause for problems like this. I have been experiencing the same problem. Seeing the "downloaded posting date" helps. It's unfortunate in cases where the bank has a misidentified "downloaded posting date". I have a transaction that shows on the statement that it posted on 25 Nov, but the "downloaded posting date" is 10 Dec. A simple transfer between two of my accounts at the same bank, so not like a check that had to clear or anything. An improper date like that is keeping me from properly reconciling my accounts. Correction: I was able to reconcile the account the money came from as that had the correct posting date. Go figure.
  • Crspag
    Crspag Member
    If you add the missing transaction as (New) in the reconciliation widow and then mark it as cleared it works.