Register to current date

Hello, I have transactions over a year out posted in my register. Payroll deposits and estimated expenses. When I open my register it shows the last transaction entered which could be a year from now. Is there a way for the register to open and go to the current date?

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you saying that these transactions are actual register transactions with a future date and not Scheduled Reminders' future iterations?
    If they are Scheduled Reminders you can control how far into the future you want to see transactions in the register as if they were real register transactions already:

If the clock icon does not show in your register, click the gear icon instead, then select Reminders to show in register.
    If the transactions are real register transactions with a future date already and you have multiple screenfuls of them, you can filter your register to stop showing transaction dated in the future, after today. Change to "All Dates" filter on top of the register to "This quarter" or "This year" or one of the other available choices. Experiment until you find one that works best for you.
    P.S.: If you're worried about budgeting for next year ... there's no need to preload your register with tons of future dated transactions. There's an option setting in the budget which will "include reminders" in future months as if they were real transactions already.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    No there isn't.  What I suggest you do is not post transactions to your register in advanced.  Instead use reminders, and select  the clock icon in the register to set how much in the future you want to display them in your register.  That way you can turn not show them except when you want to see what the future balance would be.

The reminders will also feed into other tools like the Projected Balance graph (cash flow) and the budget.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There isn't an option to open the register to today's date. But you can get there in 2 keystrokes: CTRL-G, Enter.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• crcalnan
    crcalnan Member ✭✭
    > @UKR said:
    > Are you saying that these transactions are actual register transactions with a future date and not Scheduled Reminders' future iterations?If they are Scheduled Reminders you can control how far into the future you want to see transactions in the register as if they were real register transactions already:
    >
    > If the clock icon does not show in your register, click the gear icon instead, then select Reminders to show in register.If the transactions are real register transactions with a future date already and you have multiple screenfuls of them, you can filter your register to stop showing transaction dated in the future, after today. Change to "All Dates" filter on top of the register to "This quarter" or "This year" or one of the other available choices. Experiment until you find one that works best for you.P.S.: If you're worried about budgeting for next year ... there's no need to preload your register with tons of future dated transactions. There's an option setting in the budget which will "include reminders" in future months as if they were real transactions already.

Yes, preloading them a year out. I see now how to do it another way. Thank you.
  • crcalnan
    crcalnan Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > No there isn't.  What I suggest you do is not post transactions to your register in advanced.  Instead use reminders, and select  the clock icon in the register to set how much in the future you want to display them in your register.  That way you can turn not show them except when you want to see what the future balance would be.
    >
    > The reminders will also feed into other tools like the Projected Balance graph (cash flow) and the budget.

This works too. Thank you.
  • crcalnan
    crcalnan Member ✭✭
    > @Rocket J Squirrel said:
    > There isn't an option to open the register to today's date. But you can get there in 2 keystrokes: CTRL-G, Enter.

This is by far the easiest. I will use this for now. Thank you!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Wow a lot of us answer right at the same time.   :)

@Rocket J Squirrel suggestion is nice, but personally I would still go with the reminders for a couple of reasons.  One is that with pre-entering them if things change you might end having to change a lot of transactions if they are ones that repeat on a cycle like a month or a week.  The other is when you go to enter transactions that will have you jumping from the end of the register to the current date.  In other words as you enter the transactions they will seem to vanish because they will be way back in the register.

But I guess using @UKR suggestion to filter the account might help in that regard.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/