Expense items listed as Money In in a Category Report

rcastleman
rcastleman Member ✭✭
Why are expense items being listed as "Money In" in a category report? This seems to have been a bug in 2017 but the thread was closed. The bug persists. What to do??

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    This issue exists only if you are using the old Category Summary report. This report is one of the few remaining old reports that pre-date the current print engine and interface. In that report, a negative expense value (a credit or return) would trigger an expense category showing up as income.

I suggest you abandon any reports based on Category Summary, and instead use the newer Transaction or Summary reports on the Reports screen. You can build the same detail or summary reports, you actually gain new functionality in formatting -- and you won't see a negative expense listed as income. :)

(The developers have said they will eventually remove the old reports from he program; I suppose they haven't done so yet to avoid disrupting users who have saved reports.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    This issue exists only if you are using the old Category Summary report. This report is one of the few remaining old reports that pre-date the current print engine and interface. In that report, a negative expense value (a credit or return) would trigger an expense category showing up as income.

I suggest you abandon any reports based on Category Summary, and instead use the newer Transaction or Summary reports on the Reports screen. You can build the same detail or summary reports, you actually gain new functionality in formatting -- and you won't see a negative expense listed as income. :)

(The developers have said they will eventually remove the old reports from he program; I suppose they haven't done so yet to avoid disrupting users who have saved reports.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • rcastleman
    rcastleman Member ✭✭
    Thanks very much. I will try that. :)
  • rcastleman
    rcastleman Member ✭✭
    Worked great! Thank you @jacobs
This discussion has been closed.