How to manipulate a downloaded transaction?

Options
I'll try to make this clear... I thought I asked this in the past but I see no record of it. Maybe it was under another user name. (?) At any rate, I wanted to review the feedback but can't find it. It's maybe a bit of a unique thing.

1) At BoA, I have an automatic transfer of $X from one checking account to another each week.
2) When downloaded, it shows, of course, the transfer from Main Checking to AAA Checking, like it should. And in the AAA account, it shows from Main Checking, as it should.
3) Well, what I want to do is apply a category to that transfer in the Main Checking (say Allowance) and in the AAA Checking, it doesn't even have to have a category, because I only track spending in the Main Checking.
4) In other banking software I used, I was allowed to change the account to a category and then was offered to break the connection to the 2nd account. It worked great, although it required this manipulation for every transaction. This doesn't seem possible with Quicken. Am I correct?
5) I tried using Auto Entries but it only royally screwed things up.
6) Thoughts on how to get the transfer to show as category 'Allowance' instead of a transfer to the other account, and still have it show up in the other account as a deposit? I think someone said I probably need to use Tags... Well, I don't use Tags. LOL I guess if I have to for this then I will have to change my ways.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Options
    If you haven't already, I suggest you disable transfer detection: select Edit > Preferences...

Quicken for Windows uses category field in transfer transactions to identify the other register.  Instead of a transfer transaction, I suggest you use a deposit and a withdrawal transaction.  If you want to break the transfer transaction, I suggest you copy and paste the transaction and edit the transaction in each register.
  • gt00tx
    gt00tx Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    > @Sherlock said:
    > If you haven't already, I suggest you disable transfer detection: select Edit > Preferences...
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Quicken for Windows uses category field in transfer transactions to identify the other register.  Instead of a transfer transaction, I suggest you use a deposit and a withdrawal transaction.  If you want to break the transfer transaction, I suggest you copy and paste the transaction and edit the transaction in each register.

Thanks. Yea, I was hoping for something more streamlined, less hands-on. Are you suggesting I can use deposit/withdrawal automatically with the transfer or after breaking the transfer? Which, yes I know that's what they end up being when done is a withdrawal (which I categorize as Allowance) and a deposit in the 2nd account. It works, I'd just rather it be automatic.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You use the term "allowance" like it is money you are putting in the other account for a child to spend and therefore you don't care to track it.
    If that is the case, why have the account anyway?  A child's finances should not be included in a Quicken data file since they are records for a different taxable entity.
    Just show the transfer to AAA as an expense (which is what you want it categorized anyway) and don't use the AAA account.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gt00tx said:
    > @Sherlock said:
    > If you haven't already, I suggest you disable transfer detection: select Edit > Preferences...
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Quicken for Windows uses category field in transfer transactions to identify the other register.  Instead of a transfer transaction, I suggest you use a deposit and a withdrawal transaction.  If you want to break the transfer transaction, I suggest you copy and paste the transaction and edit the transaction in each register.

Thanks. Yea, I was hoping for something more streamlined, less hands-on. Are you suggesting I can use deposit/withdrawal automatically with the transfer or after breaking the transfer? Which, yes I know that's what they end up being when done is a withdrawal (which I categorize as Allowance) and a deposit in the 2nd account. It works, I'd just rather it be automatic.
    With the transfer detection disabled on import of the downloaded transactions, memorized payees and auto entry reminders should allow entry to be more streamlined, less hands-on.
  • gt00tx
    gt00tx Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    > @splasher said:
    > You use the term "allowance" like it is money you are putting in the other account for a child to spend and therefore you don't care to track it.If that is the case, why have the account anyway?  A child's finances should not be included in a Quicken data file since they are records for a different taxable entity.Just show the transfer to AAA as an expense (which is what you want it categorized anyway) and don't use the AAA account.

Thanks for responding. OK, so I'm not going to try to justify why I do things a certain way, but I WANT to track the expense as 'Allowance' or whatever I choose to call it in the main account. And, for what it's worth, AAA isn't a child's account. I WANT to show the deposit in that account. Since I'm already categorizing and tracking the expense in the main account (as you note), I'm not concerned about tracking it thereafter but it is another checking account that I have to balance. If reckon if I get tired of it, I'll stop. LOL
  • gt00tx
    gt00tx Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    > @Sherlock said:
    > With the transfer detection disabled on import of the downloaded transactions, memorized payees and auto entry reminders should allow entry to be more streamlined, less hands-on.

OK, I see what you are saying. Thanks!