Santander Mortgage Loan No Longer Updating

Is anyone seeing problems with loan balances being updated at Santander? My last update was 10/3. Will not update after Nov payment. Have tried everything. Update appears successful.

Best Answer

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

For whatever it's worth ... I would not bother attempting to activate any loan or mortgage account for downloading.  (Not discussing LOC or HELOC accounts here)

An online-connected loan or mortgage account does NOT have a transaction register. All data shown in the account come from whatever information the bank downloads to you ... if this process works at all.

As a result of being connected, the scheduled payment transaction reminder cannot transfer the amount of principal paid into the (non existent) account register and must use a category, usually something like Loan:Principal, instead. The category seems to vary with the Loan Type you selected when creating the loan account in Quicken.

• Effective with Quicken Windows 2018+
      you can deactivate an online-connected loan account and regain full control over your transaction register.  However, you should still review the Scheduled Reminder (or Memorized Payee List entry) associated with the monthly loan payments to ensure they now transfer Principal to the loan account register and not to a Category.
    • Users of Quicken 2017 and older:
      If you want to have full control over both the loan account register and the payment transactions you need to set up your loan account as a "manual loan account" and use the Scheduled Reminder created by the setup process to record your payment transaction on or before the due date.
      If you have already established a connected loan account and are having problems with it please take a look at this:
      How to convert back to a manual loan
      https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7164936/faq-how-do-i-convert-a-loan-account-that-automatically-downloads-transactions-to-a-manual-entry-sc

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Frank DeMello

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your experience and feedback with the Community, although I apologize that you have not yet received a response.

We'll need a bit more information to be able to assist.

Please take a moment to review the information available here and post back to let us know what version and release of Quicken you are using.

The more information you can provide will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Frank DeMello
    Frank DeMello Member ✭✭✭
    Hello

R29.22
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Frank DeMello

Thank you for providing those additional details, although I apologize that you have not yet received a follow-up response.

Are you still experiencing issues with the loan account not updating the most recent balance?

If so, and you haven't already, please create a new data file, strictly for testing purposes only.  To create a new data file, go to the File menu > New Data File.

In the new file, please add the Santander loan account, does the balance update correctly in the new file? 

If you have already tried this, please reply and let us know what troubleshooting steps you may have already tried so we aren't recommending steps you've already taken.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • Frank DeMello
    Frank DeMello Member ✭✭✭
    No one can help on this issue? I just tried again post update and still nothing. Now on version:
    R30.9

Thank you
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If you haven't done so already, I'd say it's time to call Quicken Support on the phone and request help.  Let them do a screen share session with you to review a download log file on your computer, to determine the nature of the problem and to figure out how to fix it.

Quicken Support:

• To contact Quicken Support, please use this link only:
      https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support  and select Chat or Phone support.
      Support is only available during
      posted hours of operation
    • The phone number can be found at this website.
    • To start Chat or see the support phone number, your browser must allow popup windows from https://www.quicken.com
    • If you are eligible for Premium Support (purchased separately or included as part of your subscription to Quicken 2018+ Premier or HB&R) call the number that can be found at the top of your My Account page at https://www.quicken.com/my-account  (US) or https://www.quicken.com/canada/my-account (Canada) next to "Quicken Premium Support"  when you log in with your Quicken ID.
    • Other links or phone numbers found elsewhere on the Internet, even in some posts or emails received from other Community members, may not be from Quicken or may not be up-to-date. Use those at your own risk.
    • Unlike other so-called "Quicken support providers", the real Quicken Support is free for all currently supported versions.

• Frank DeMello
    Frank DeMello Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you
  • Frank DeMello
    Frank DeMello Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    The answer from Quicken Support is what it always is: the file is damaged.

Pretty useless. Have never seen software so prone to being corrupted

In this case I cannot go back to when I first noticed this and start over (early Nov)

I'll need to figure something out myself. That was an hour I'll never get back. Ugh
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

For whatever it's worth ... I would not bother attempting to activate any loan or mortgage account for downloading.  (Not discussing LOC or HELOC accounts here)

An online-connected loan or mortgage account does NOT have a transaction register. All data shown in the account come from whatever information the bank downloads to you ... if this process works at all.

As a result of being connected, the scheduled payment transaction reminder cannot transfer the amount of principal paid into the (non existent) account register and must use a category, usually something like Loan:Principal, instead. The category seems to vary with the Loan Type you selected when creating the loan account in Quicken.

• Effective with Quicken Windows 2018+
      you can deactivate an online-connected loan account and regain full control over your transaction register.  However, you should still review the Scheduled Reminder (or Memorized Payee List entry) associated with the monthly loan payments to ensure they now transfer Principal to the loan account register and not to a Category.
    • Users of Quicken 2017 and older:
      If you want to have full control over both the loan account register and the payment transactions you need to set up your loan account as a "manual loan account" and use the Scheduled Reminder created by the setup process to record your payment transaction on or before the due date.
      If you have already established a connected loan account and are having problems with it please take a look at this:
      How to convert back to a manual loan
      https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7164936/faq-how-do-i-convert-a-loan-account-that-automatically-downloads-transactions-to-a-manual-entry-sc

• Frank DeMello
    Frank DeMello Member ✭✭✭
    Understood UKR.
    Here is my current issue.
    I just want to delete this account and start over with a new manual account. However I cannot get into Account Details to delete the old linked one. And it does not show in the Account list.

How do I get rid of this account? There must be some back door option to delete it.
    I read through the link above and I don't think it applies. I don't need to copy any transactions (if I could see them). Just want to delete the old linked loan

I created a new Manual loan so now I have 2 mortgages....

I also ran a Validate & Repair with no luck

Any help will be greatly appreciated
  • Frank DeMello
    Frank DeMello Member ✭✭✭
    I finally found a place to delete/hide this account. You have to go to Tools/Manage Hidden Accounts. Only place it shows. Nothing else worked

Starting over with a manual account
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW ... When in Tools / Account List, to be able to see all accounts in existence in your current data file, be sure to put a checkmark in the option "Show hidden accounts" (bottom left of view) and select "All Accounts" in the grey side bar.
This discussion has been closed.