Quicken Bill Pay $9.95 monthly charge?

I downgraded from Quicken Premier to Starter since I don't use any of the Premier features (including Quicken Bill Manager). Immediately following the downgrade, I received a generated email stating, in part, "Your Quicken Bill Pay account is now a PAID PLAN and in 30 days you will be charged $9.95 per month for this service."
I called Quicken Support about this and the young man told me there would be no monthly charge on the Quicken side but that I should call Quicken Bill Pay Support at 877-486-8844 to verify there will be no charge from them. I called the number, however, whichever path I navigate in their IVR it ends up with a "your call cannot be answered" message.
Although QBP (Metavante) still maintains a support line, it seems ludicrous that they would charge for a non-existent service. But it seems that attempting to verify that I will not be charged (as indicated in Quicken's email) is impossible.

Best Answer

• Quicken Hugh
    Quicken Hugh Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020 Answer ✓
    Hello @ken_atl,
    Sorry to hear about this billing conundrum. Let's try to help you get it sorted out.

Yes, Quicken Bill Manager is (was, in your case) included in Premier tier of Quicken.
    Following the downgrade, yes, you could opt to keep using QBM, for a fee.
    In your case, you have indicated you do not want to use QBM at all.

1) Please go to Quicken.com > Sign In > My Account.
    Once logged in, on the "My Account" screen you will see all of your Quicken subscriptions (software and perhaps QBM). You can change your subscriptions on this screen.

2) Or contact support, who can also verify everything you have a subscription for, and cancel QBM on your behalf if need be.

3) "Quicken Bill Pay", on the other hand, is (was) a Metavante service. Sorry, I can't speak as to how to get a human to answer the phone at Metavante. As a last resort, you might contact your bank to refuse/dispute the charge.

Answers

• Quicken Hugh
    Quicken Hugh Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020 Answer ✓
    Hello @ken_atl,
    Sorry to hear about this billing conundrum. Let's try to help you get it sorted out.

Yes, Quicken Bill Manager is (was, in your case) included in Premier tier of Quicken.
    Following the downgrade, yes, you could opt to keep using QBM, for a fee.
    In your case, you have indicated you do not want to use QBM at all.

1) Please go to Quicken.com > Sign In > My Account.
    Once logged in, on the "My Account" screen you will see all of your Quicken subscriptions (software and perhaps QBM). You can change your subscriptions on this screen.

2) Or contact support, who can also verify everything you have a subscription for, and cancel QBM on your behalf if need be.

3) "Quicken Bill Pay", on the other hand, is (was) a Metavante service. Sorry, I can't speak as to how to get a human to answer the phone at Metavante. As a last resort, you might contact your bank to refuse/dispute the charge.
  • ken_atl
    ken_atl Member ✭✭
    Hugh, thank you for your detailed reply. There is no QBM subscription listed on the "My Account" screen. As for QBP, I seriously doubt they would be charging anyone a monthly subscription fee now, since they aren't providing the service. However, I followed up because the Quicken Support Rep told me to. If a QBP charge is levied down the road I will certainly dispute it and follow up at that point.
    Thanks again.
    Ken
  • Quicken Hugh
    Quicken Hugh Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @ken_atl

I'm happy to hear that you have confirmed the alleged "Quicken Bill Pay" fee is not for Quicken Bill Manager.

One more possible reason you've seen a fee for "Quicken Bill Pay" - does your bank charge a fee to download from/upload to, and/or use the Bank's Bill Pay service via Quicken?
    This would be an uncommon, but not entirely unheard of, situation.

A few Financial Institutions have reportedly used very cryptic descriptions of the fees they impose. Perhaps ask your FI is they are responsible for this fee?
  • ken_atl
    ken_atl Member ✭✭
    Thanks again for your response. I have not been charged any fee as of yet. The issue was that just after I downgraded to Quicken Starter edition, I received an email from Quicken confirming the downgrade and stating, in part, that
    "Your Quicken Bill Pay account is now a PAID PLAN and in 30 days you will be charged $9.95 per month for this service."
    After further research in this forum, I have concluded that this language was included in the auto-generated email form long before the QBP service was terminated and nobody at Quicken has ever revised the auto-generated email form to reflect the current reality. Moreover, it apparently goes to anyone who downgrades their Quicken edition regardless of whether or not they actually subscribe to a bill payment service or not.
    It avoid a lot of confusion if this form was fixed to reflect reality.
    Ken
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    ken_atl said:
    I downgraded from Quicken Premier to Starter since I don't use any of the Premier features (including Quicken Bill Manager).
    BTW - since you say you downgraded to the Starter version....
    If you don't continue to "subscribe", your data becomes "read/only" and you will not be able to input or change your Quicken data - only report on frozen status.
    Also - the Starter version does not support Investments...
    The Quicken Deluxe version doesn't have these 2 issues.
    Just so you are aware of the limitations and restrictions moving forward.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.