Quicken not asking me to change my security access code.

Using 30.14 for Windows.

Bank recently needed to send me new security access code to get back online (Suntrust) via direct connect. Upon using banks new security code, program did not ask for me to change to a personal passcode. Worked with support whereby we tried resetting, deactivating, creating new accounts, validating, super validating and other methods with no good result.

When I attempted to deactivate accounts (and then attempting to re-establish as new account) program window listed the checking and saving accounts I wanted the direct connect connection for, but it also listed an account that I had previously closed and was no longer using. The closed account was not listed in the account list, hidden account list or any other list. Previously, the account was "turned off" in Suntrust's side, which I then closed. After that the account was not showing in banks website.

Bottom line, I would like to be able to choose my own security access code. Tech support said this was unusual....looking for help.

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Shelly D

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

May I ask which Suntrust option you are using? Notice there is a Suntrust Bank and a Suntrust Bank(s) option.

Also, are you connecting through the existing account in Quicken?

If so, have you tried to add an account now using the (+) to see if you are given the option to change the code? Using this method, you will be given the option to then link to the existing account.

Please let me know!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Shelly D
    Shelly D Member ✭✭
    Greetings Tyka, I have only used the Suntrust Bank as that one is the only one to offer the direct connect option.

My steps have been: (after deactivating accounts) >add new account>Suntrust Bank>click on advanced options>select direct connect>enter>input my user id provided by bank>input my security code provided by bank>enter.....Quicken searches Suntrust and does locate my accounts.

Gives me option to "add account" or "link to existing account" or "do not add to Quicken". I select "link to existing account" for both my checking and savings. However here's the weird part...... it shows an account that I have closed, and if I select do not add to Quicken and move on to next part of process program does not ask for me to change my security access code. If I attempt to redo entire process I keep getting the same results.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Shelly D

Thank you for the response, although I apologize that this trouble continues to persist.

I have one last test I would like to perform. I would like to next create a test file to see if the crashing continues in a blank empty file.

This test will help further isolate the issue being related to the Quicken program.

To create a test file, please navigate to File > New Quicken File... Once in a new file please navigate to the Bills and Income Tab and see if the crashing persists.

Please let me know how it goes.
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Shelly D
    Shelly D Member ✭✭
    Greetings Tyka, in this test when i navigated to >Suntrust Bank>Advanced options>direct connect>enter>bill and income tab>, the program did ask me to change my password. Hope this leads you to information to help resolve the issue, thanks.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Shelly D

Thank you for the response and for letting me know the results of the test. May I ask that you now return to the original file and attempt to connect one more?

Sometimes connecting in a separate file may have an impact on connecting in the previous file. If you find that you still are not prompted to change the password. Is it possible that you would be able to change the username?

That password change is a type of 2 step verification, it seems that the bank has memorized the file and is no longer prompting for this step. Changing the username may get around this issue.

Please let me know!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Shelly D
    Shelly D Member ✭✭
    Hi Tyka...unfortunately no good result. The Quicken program did ask for a password change on the test file, however upon changing the new file password it would not accept (although I followed their requirements), as far as the user name, that is issued by the bank, therefore I cannot alter.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @Shelly D

Thanks for the update and letting us know what's happening. I was reading through some different threads and thought of a couple of things we can try to see if we can push it through. 

First thing I'd like to try is when you connect to the bank with where it asks for a password is could we try putting in 0000. Once you've done this try connecting and see if it pushes it through. I recall this occasionally working so it's worth giving a shot. 

The next one is one that is recommended in a recent thread from one of the SU's once you've put in a password that matches the recommendations try pressing Ctrl+Shift+Enter. This might also push through the sign on so that we're able to get connected.

Try these out and let us know if either is able to get you back up and running. 

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• Matthew Guerreiro
    Matthew Guerreiro Member ✭✭✭
    I am having similar problems and tried your suggestions above in a new quicken file with nothing in it. It didn't work. :/
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shelly D said:
    Using 30.14 for Windows.

Bank recently needed to send me new security access code to get back online (Suntrust) via direct connect. Upon using banks new security code, program did not ask for me to change to a personal passcode. Worked with support whereby we tried resetting, deactivating, creating new accounts, validating, super validating and other methods with no good result.

When I attempted to deactivate accounts (and then attempting to re-establish as new account) program window listed the checking and saving accounts I wanted the direct connect connection for, but it also listed an account that I had previously closed and was no longer using. The closed account was not listed in the account list, hidden account list or any other list. Previously, the account was "turned off" in Suntrust's side, which I then closed. After that the account was not showing in banks website.

Bottom line, I would like to be able to choose my own security access code. Tech support said this was unusual....looking for help.
    Hi @Shelly D

I think that your problem may be with Connection Channel, that is, currently set with the Quicken Program connecting to the Banks using One Step Update.

The Two Connection Channels employed by Quicken are FDS and QCS.

Go to Help. Hold down the Function Key F4 when you click About Quicken. Switch the Connection Channel and Close the Window.

Now try adding SunTrust Bank again. Use the Security Access Code furnish by the Bank, until it tells you, otherwise.

The Closed Account that Quicken is finding, allow Quicken to ADD the Account.
    Once all Account from Suntrust Bank are added. Close the Account, then delete the Account.

Once everything is good, enter your Vault Password.Click Settings. See what Accounts are to be Updated. Click Update Now. Now Suntrust should be telling you to pick a new Security Code. Use the same length Security Code. You will need to enter the Security Code twice.

If the Security Code is all digits, use the same length with the new one. If you change the length or add letters, it will fail and you can't use a code that you used in the past.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Shelly D
    Shelly D Member ✭✭
    creator, thanks for the effort...however my system layout may not one you are familiar with since I am running Windows 10 on my Mac. Therefore the keyboard layout may be different as I cannot get your recommendation to pull up another window. I run Window via a program called Parallels. There may be a combination of keyboard command to accomplish, but I am not familiar with. All I get when pressing F4 is my Mac's "launchpad".

Shelly D
This discussion has been closed.