Duplicate downloads

Options
Judman
Judman Member
I apologize for asking this again, but none of the previous suggestions have helped.
I have 2 problems related to dowloaded transactions from my bank:
1) When I enter an upcoming transaction into Quicken (say a bill due next week), and then download transactions from the bank, both activities are listed. If I attempt to drag and merge (as previously suggested), nothing happens - both remain and my balance is off since things are duplicated.
2) Even unrelated to my entries, if I download transactions, I have found ATM activity duplicated, although it might be listed in 2 different ways.

I inserted a screenshot below.
Screen Shot 2020-12-06 at 9.29.53 AM

I am using a Mac.
Is there are was to obtain a tutorial or in-person help with setting this up - I'd pay not to be fighting with this.
This is so frustrating that it makes using Quicken more work than any other banking program!!

Best Answer

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2020 Answer ✓
    Options
    1) Turn on the Match Status column in the register (menu View > Columns). You will be able to see if one of the transactions was already matched. That would explain why you can't match it again. However, I think your inability to match is related to #2.

2) I think the reason you may be seeing duplicate transactions is because these transactions are actually entered as transfer transactions. Turn on the Transfer column and see if there's an account listed there. You cannot presently create a transfer from one account back to itself. But it's possible that an old transaction when that was the case is causing this. (Check menu Window > Payees & Rules > QuickFill Rules for an QuickFills with the problem payee.) Or, are you viewing a group register (eg. Cash, Banking, etc)? In that case, you may be viewing both ends of a transfer between two different accounts. 

Regarding tutorial help: if you contact Quicken Support: www.quicken.com/support (scroll down to the blue banner), they can screen share with you and possibly help you out with this.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2020 Answer ✓
    Options
    1) Turn on the Match Status column in the register (menu View > Columns). You will be able to see if one of the transactions was already matched. That would explain why you can't match it again. However, I think your inability to match is related to #2.

2) I think the reason you may be seeing duplicate transactions is because these transactions are actually entered as transfer transactions. Turn on the Transfer column and see if there's an account listed there. You cannot presently create a transfer from one account back to itself. But it's possible that an old transaction when that was the case is causing this. (Check menu Window > Payees & Rules > QuickFill Rules for an QuickFills with the problem payee.) Or, are you viewing a group register (eg. Cash, Banking, etc)? In that case, you may be viewing both ends of a transfer between two different accounts. 

Regarding tutorial help: if you contact Quicken Support: www.quicken.com/support (scroll down to the blue banner), they can screen share with you and possibly help you out with this.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
This discussion has been closed.