Sound Issue R30.14

System
System Member admin
This discussion was created from comments split from: All Quicken Sounds stopped working.

Best Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Thanks for checking!

In that case, I recommend that you perform a clean uninstall/reinstall (this is different from simply uninstalling and reinstalling the program) which will clear out and replace the existing configuration files for Quicken (this does not affect any of your data and/or backup files).

To do so, please refer to this support article and scroll down to the section titled If the steps above do not resolve the issue. Then, open and follow the instructions found in the blue dropdown sections titled First: Download and use QCleanUI and Second: Rename Quicken Shared Folders.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Quicken Anja
    edited December 2020 Answer ✓
    Hello @Ida,

Thank you for contributing to this discussion here in the Community and letting us know that you are experiencing the same issue, though I apologize for the trouble. 

I have taken the liberty of pulling the call and have listened to the interaction you had with the support agent you previously spoke with. That said, I would like to extend our sincerest apologies to you on behalf of our company for any dissatisfaction and/or frustration you experienced during that interaction. I will forward this interaction to the proper channels so we can provide the agent with an appropriate coaching opportunity.

If you wish to have assistance in performing these necessary steps, please don't hesitate to respond to me here, or feel free to send me a private message as well to let me know! I would be more than willing to make arrangements to have a callback scheduled at a time that works best for you with one of our Senior Support agents who would love to help and walk you through this process.

I understand that the clean uninstall/reinstall troubleshooting process found in this support article contains very elaborate and specific instructions to follow. However, due to the fact that the root cause of this issue stems from within the Quicken configuration files, there is no way to exactly pinpoint which specific configuration file is problematic. For this reason, you will need to perform these troubleshooting steps in order to have it successfully resolved as this issue is system-specific and not a widespread/known issue. 

The process not only involves uninstalling and reinstalling your current Quicken program but also removing all existing configuration files during the uninstall, so new configuration files can be put in place upon reinstalling Quicken in order to get the program to function as expected. A simple uninstall/reinstall of Quicken only removes the program but keeps the existing configuration files. For this same reason, a new update release would not resolve this issue for you as new update releases also do not remove any existing configuration files. 

I hope this helps to clarify the reason behind this complex troubleshooting process and I look forward to hopefully hearing from you soon so we can provide you with the proper assistance you need and get this issue taken care of.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja

Answers

• Zunka72
    Zunka72 Member ✭✭✭
    For me also Quicken Sound stopped working after I updated to R30.14

Sound is checked in Preferences.

I manually associated sound to quicken actions in Windows Sound Settings but it keeps getting removed every time I restart Quicken.

This is clearly a bug in the Quicken release.
  • Quicken Anja
    Hello @Zunka72,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

If you don't mind, I'd like to have you create a new (test) file to see if you experience the same issue in a new file as well. In doing so, we will be able to determine if this is caused by an issue within your data file or a potential bug within the Quicken program.

Follow the steps below to create a test file:
    1. Choose File menu > New Quicken File.Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows
    2. Select New Quicken File.Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows
    3. Click OK.
    4. In the File name field, enter the name of the new file, then click Save. Use a name like "Test File" to easily be able to tell it apart from your main file. Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for WindowsDon't use any of these characters: * ? < > | " : \ / (asterisk, question mark, left and right-angle bracket, pipe, straight quotation marks, colon, BACKSLASH, FORWARD SLASH). Also, don't add the .qdf extension; Quicken does that for you.
    5. Sign in with your Quicken ID (if prompted). If you are prompted to create a Quicken ID, click Sign In under the Create Account prompt. 
    6. Select to not use Mobile (if prompted).
    7. Click Add Account to be taken to the new data file (you can click +Offline Accounts to add a manual account if you wish to use a register for sound testing in this test file)

Then, see if you are experiencing the same problem in this test file. From there, you can then switch back to your original file. 

Follow the steps below to switch files:

1. Click the File menu.
    2. Look near the bottom of the options list.
    3. Select the data file you want to open. 

Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows
    Quicken will list the most recently opened data files, with a checkmark next to the file you are currently viewing.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja

• Zunka72
    Zunka72 Member ✭✭✭
    Quicken Anja,

I created a new quicken file as you instructed.

Sound is still not working for any actions, i.e. startup, register, etc.

Please advise.
  • Quicken Anja
    Thank you for testing that and providing an update.

Next, could you please open your Windows File Explorer and navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken, and check and make sure that there is a Sounds folder in there? If there is, please open the folder to make sure the folder is not empty.

Also, which version of Windows do you have running (i.e.: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, etc)?

Please, check back and let us know what you find!

-Quicken Anja

• Zunka72
    Zunka72 Member ✭✭✭
    All the WAV files are present in the Sounds folder and working properly.

I have couple of times manually associated the sound files to Quicken events in Sound setting under Control Panel. But it always gets removed every time I restart Quicken.

Running Windows 10 Professional 10.0.19042 Build 19042
  • Quicken Anja
    Answer ✓
    Thanks for checking!

In that case, I recommend that you perform a clean uninstall/reinstall (this is different from simply uninstalling and reinstalling the program) which will clear out and replace the existing configuration files for Quicken (this does not affect any of your data and/or backup files).

To do so, please refer to this support article and scroll down to the section titled If the steps above do not resolve the issue. Then, open and follow the instructions found in the blue dropdown sections titled First: Download and use QCleanUI and Second: Rename Quicken Shared Folders.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja

• Zunka72
    Zunka72 Member ✭✭✭
    Quicken Anja

That has resolved the problem. All sounds are now back.

Thank you for your help.
  • Quicken Anja
    Perfect! You're welcome and thanks for the update.

I'm glad to hear that resolved the issue for you. :)

-Quicken Anja

• Ida
    Ida Member ✭✭
    Will there be a new release to resolve this issue? I really don't want to have to go thru the steps as have been described here. I called tech support but the tech is not very knowledgeable on the entire issue.
  • Quicken Anja
    edited December 2020 Answer ✓
    Hello @Ida,

Thank you for contributing to this discussion here in the Community and letting us know that you are experiencing the same issue, though I apologize for the trouble. 

I have taken the liberty of pulling the call and have listened to the interaction you had with the support agent you previously spoke with. That said, I would like to extend our sincerest apologies to you on behalf of our company for any dissatisfaction and/or frustration you experienced during that interaction. I will forward this interaction to the proper channels so we can provide the agent with an appropriate coaching opportunity.

If you wish to have assistance in performing these necessary steps, please don't hesitate to respond to me here, or feel free to send me a private message as well to let me know! I would be more than willing to make arrangements to have a callback scheduled at a time that works best for you with one of our Senior Support agents who would love to help and walk you through this process.

I understand that the clean uninstall/reinstall troubleshooting process found in this support article contains very elaborate and specific instructions to follow. However, due to the fact that the root cause of this issue stems from within the Quicken configuration files, there is no way to exactly pinpoint which specific configuration file is problematic. For this reason, you will need to perform these troubleshooting steps in order to have it successfully resolved as this issue is system-specific and not a widespread/known issue. 

The process not only involves uninstalling and reinstalling your current Quicken program but also removing all existing configuration files during the uninstall, so new configuration files can be put in place upon reinstalling Quicken in order to get the program to function as expected. A simple uninstall/reinstall of Quicken only removes the program but keeps the existing configuration files. For this same reason, a new update release would not resolve this issue for you as new update releases also do not remove any existing configuration files. 

I hope this helps to clarify the reason behind this complex troubleshooting process and I look forward to hopefully hearing from you soon so we can provide you with the proper assistance you need and get this issue taken care of.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja

• Ida
    Ida Member ✭✭
    I really appreciate the time you have taken to describe the resolution, but because I do not have the time or patience to go thru all of the required steps, I guess I am relegated to a soundless Quicken! Thanks again for your time.
  • Quicken Anja
    edited December 2020
    @Ida You're welcome and thank you for your response.

I understand and respect your decision. If you happen to change your mind, please don't hesitate to reach back out! We'll be happy to help whenever you're ready. :)

-Quicken Anja

• Zunka72
    Zunka72 Member ✭✭✭
    > @Ida said:
    > I really appreciate the time you have taken to describe the resolution, but because I do not have the time or patience to go thru all of the required steps, I guess I am relegated to a soundless Quicken! Thanks again for your time.

The steps may look daunting but are easy. It took me less than 10 minutes in total to complete. Give it a try.
This discussion has been closed.