Does Citibank not support QFX download anymore

Shaun
Shaun Member
I find that downloading transactions from Citibank bank accounts into Quicken using the QFX file does not work anymore. The same works for the Citibank credit card account.

The error is OL-220-A "Quicken is unable to complete your request". OL-200-B is shown below. I have tried this over a period of 2 days thinking that it might be intermittent.

Best Answer

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Hello @Shaun,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

Could you please provide which version of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Help > About Quicken

As stated in this support article regarding error OL-220-- 
    • Web Connect (Importing a QFX file from your bank's website) - Receiving this error when downloading a QFX file directly from your bank's website indicates an issue with the file itself. You will need to contact your bank to resolve this issue.

If your financial institution's reps give you pushback, what I can suggest is to call Quicken Support via phone and request to have one of our support agents make a conference call to your financial institution with you. Our support agent will be able to assist you in explaining to your financial institution why this error cannot be resolved on our end and that it will require an escalation ticket to be made on their end instead.

Additionally, you can also ask Quicken Support to collect and review your log files to discover the internal error that your financial institution will need to escalate the issue or you can provide your financial institution with your log files as well.

I do apologize for being unable to provide a solution to this error, but please let us know if you have any additional questions!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Answer ✓
    Hello @Shaun,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

Could you please provide which version of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Help > About Quicken

As stated in this support article regarding error OL-220-- 
    • Web Connect (Importing a QFX file from your bank's website) - Receiving this error when downloading a QFX file directly from your bank's website indicates an issue with the file itself. You will need to contact your bank to resolve this issue.

If your financial institution's reps give you pushback, what I can suggest is to call Quicken Support via phone and request to have one of our support agents make a conference call to your financial institution with you. Our support agent will be able to assist you in explaining to your financial institution why this error cannot be resolved on our end and that it will require an escalation ticket to be made on their end instead.

Additionally, you can also ask Quicken Support to collect and review your log files to discover the internal error that your financial institution will need to escalate the issue or you can provide your financial institution with your log files as well.

I do apologize for being unable to provide a solution to this error, but please let us know if you have any additional questions!

-Quicken Anja

• Shaun
    Shaun Member
    Thanks for responding!

Citibank and after reviewing the issue responded that Citibank does not support Quicken, period. When I pointed out that "Download Transactions" when selected when logged into the account, the options include Quicken QFX and QIF, support mentioned that Quicken support was discontinued a long time ago approximately 2 years ago.

FYI the options shown are -

Text Formats:
    - CSV - Spreadsheets
    - TXT - Tab Delimited

Financial Software:
    - QFX - Quicken
    - QIF - Quicken Interchange
    - QBO - Quickbooks
    - OFX - Open Financial Exchange

I do not feel comfortable using the other options provided within Quicken application itself as I am very uncertain/unsure about how secure they are. It appears Quicken captures the password and stores it and I am not sure how that could not be misused.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    @Shaun

Thanks for the update. I was taking a look to see if I was getting something similar but since I only have a credit card to check I was unable to do any checking/saving accounts. That being said the credit card did work like you were able to as well. I'm wondering here if we're able to import into a test file. Normally with the  OL-220-A errors we'd need to go to the bank like you've previously tried but I'd like to see if we do get an error in the test file. I'll leave instructions down below on how to do so.
    1. Choose File menu > New Quicken File.

Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows

1. Select New Quicken File.

1. Click OK.
    2. In the File name field, enter the name of the new file, then click Save. Use a name like "Test File" to tell it apart from your main file. 

Don't use any of these characters: * ? < > | " : \ / (asterisk, question mark, left and right-angle bracket, pipe, straight quotation marks, colon, BACKSLASH, FORWARD SLASH). Also, don't add the .qdf extension; Quicken does that for you.

1. Sign in with your Quicken ID. If you are prompted to create a Quicken ID but already have one, click Sign In under the Create Account prompt. 

1. Select to not use Mobile.
    2. Click Add Account to start adding accounts to the new file.

After adding accounts, see if you are experiencing the same problems in this test file. Once you've done this try importing your QFX to the new file. Depending on the results we'll see what we can do next.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

• Shaun
    Shaun Member
    I tried what you suggested and found that the same error occurred with the test file. However, there was something interesting that happened when trying this in two different ways.

1. I created the account using a test file. Then from a browser window that was logged into citibank, downloaded the transactions and chose the option to open using Quicken. I followed through the prompt to link to the account that I had created. I got the error and nothing else happened. The account balance remained 0.

2. With another test file I did not create the account. From a browser window that was logged into citibank I downloaded the transactions and chose the option to open using Quicken. I followed through the prompt to create a new account to which to import into. I got the same error. However, the account showed some random opening balance. I suspect that the amount was not totally random but the date was one from one of the previous months in 2020 and did not coincide with any actual transaction amount or transaction date from 2020.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Shaun

Thank you for letting us know the results of the test file. Creating a test file rules out the issue being related to the data file. If you receive the same error in the original file and the test file this confirms that the error on the financial institution's end.

There has not been any official information or alert that Citibank has discontinued Web Connect/QFX Import. I would next follow @Quicken Anja recommendation:

Hello @Shaun,

I would also consider asking to speak to a supervisor at Citibank to hopefully gain more traction and a better chance of getting an escalation with the financial institution.

Please let us know how it goes with support!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • rnsaxena
    rnsaxena Member
    I am having similar issues with download, using "File> Import" function, of transactions from Citibank. I get [OL-220-A] followed by [OL-220-B]. I have tried everything and nothing works. Although the account has updated successfully for last 3 months of transactions via the automatic updates, it is the "File > Import" function which gives this error when I try to import historical data. Would really appreciate your help. thanks
  • cdonovansf
    cdonovansf Unconfirmed, Member
    edited January 2021
    I used to download QFX data from the Citi website with ease but haven't been able to do so for months. I get the same OL-220 error code about which other Citibank customers complain. [removed - rant/disruptive]
  • ligreenizs
    ligreenizs Member ✭✭
    I have the same issue but find it is not on all my accounts. I download 5 different accounts (Checking, Savings and credit card). The issue is on my savings account only. The rest are working fine. Frustrating
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I suggest you check the connection log.  Sometimes these kinds of errors are caused by syntax errors in the QFX file.  If that is true they will be reported in the connection log.   Help-> Log Files -> Connection Log

If that is the case then only Citibank can correct the problem.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Shaun
    Shaun Member
    I finally thought I'd bite the bullet and spend time to resolve this once for all and ".... speak to a supervisor at Citibank to hopefully gain more traction and a better chance of getting an escalation with the financial institution.". However, before I did that I thought I should try one more time.

I have to report that this worked today. While the transactions got downloaded, there are issues such as duplicated transactions because Quicken did not seem to "Match" with transactions already present. Anyway, while I have to spend some time cleaning up some of the mess it is a probably more desirable than trying to convince the financial institution (or Quicken) that there is a problem and to have it resolved.

Thanks Quicken moderators (Anja, Francisco, Tyka) for the responsiveness and suggestions!
  • Quicken Anja
    edited January 2021
    @Shaun Thanks for the update!

If you decide to pursue further troubleshooting in the future, please don't hesitate to reach back out.

-Quicken Anja

This discussion has been closed.