Quick fill Rules

Mike Cockayne
Mike Cockayne Member ✭✭✭✭
I have a saved rule for a CC payment that I use frequently. When I type in Payment under payee the drop down show the rule which I click on. Everything auto fills except the category that is blank.
Is there a way I can edit to reinstate the rule, or to delete the rule and redo?

TIA

Mike
Tagged:

Best Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Yes, click menu Window > Payees & Rules > QuickFill Rules, then use the search box to find the rule and edit it.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Mike Cockayne
    Answer ✓
    Rick you've done it again, many thanks!!

Answers

• RickO
    Answer ✓
    Yes, click menu Window > Payees & Rules > QuickFill Rules, then use the search box to find the rule and edit it.
  • Mike Cockayne
    Answer ✓
    Rick you've done it again, many thanks!!
  • uconnjhd
    uconnjhd Member ✭✭
    i have the same issue with the category not filling on a quick fill for common transfer between accounts. I've gone to Quick Fill Rules and the category appears there but still doesn't show up when I enter the transfer.
  • RickO
    Do you have multiple QuickFill rules for this payee? If so, are you selecting the correct one? Do you have the desired rule marked as the default rule in the QuickFill window? Are you entering the Payee column first (before the Category or Transfer columns) so that the rule can be selected?
  • uconnjhd
    uconnjhd Member ✭✭
    I made sure there was only 1 quickfill rule for the payee. i do enter the Payee first. I'm discovering that I must tab from the payee to the category rather than hit enter when the quickfill appears to have the category fill in.
  • RickO
    That is correct. Hitting Enter records the transaction immediately before the QuickFill rule has been activated. Hitting Tab first allows the QuickFill to be filled in.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Actually, if you're in the Payee field and type several letters so the Best Matches dropdown list appears, you can highlight (arrow down or click with a mouse) the one you want, press Enter, and it will not save the transaction; Enter just confirms your selection from the dropdown menu, and leaves you in the transaction to complete it.

That noted, there is also is a bug which was introduced in one of the updates in the second half of last year which has still not been fixed. I think this is what @uconnjhd is describing.

After you type in the Payee name field and the Best Matches list comes up, the program behaves differently depending on whether you press Enter to select the highlighted Best Match or you click on the highlighted Best Match.

If you click on the highlighted Best match to select a QuickFill Rule which contains a transfer, the Payee is completed and your cursor is still in the Payee field. Note that the Transfer is not showing in the Category field. But if you have the Transfer column visible, the Transfer from the QuickFill rules is actually there. The bug is that whatever Quicken does behind the scenes to display the Transfer in the Category field is not taking place at this moment. If you Tab forward through the Category field to Amount of Memo/Notes, then save the transaction, it will be saved with a Category of Uncategorized.

BUT… you can actually work around the bug easily once you know about it. After you pick the Payee from the list, do not Tab forward into the Category field (or Transfer field if you have the Transfer column visible). Instead, use your mouse to jump to the Amount (or Memo/Notes, Action, Check Number) field, fill in the value(s), and press Enter. As if by magic, the Transfer shows up in the Category field of the saved transaction, just as it should have originally. (Again this is easier to see happening if you temporarily make the Transfer column visible: the Transfer is present from the QuickFill rule when you pick it from the Payee Best Matches list, and when you Save the transaction, it displays the Transfer in the Category field as normal.) The bug is to not Tab through the Category (or Transfer) field, which somehow then tells Quicken to leave the Category field blank rather than to inherit the value from the Transfer field. 

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • uconnjhd
    uconnjhd Member ✭✭
    thank you. what you describe is my experience. as you note this was not a problem earlier in 2020. Surprised to hear this bug has not been resolved.
  • uconnjhd
    uconnjhd Member ✭✭
    jacobs - your suggestion works, a bizarre work around. hopefully this is fixed in the next release
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @uconnjhd  It is an odd little user interface bug, but at least it has been reported to Quicken and will hopefully get fixed before too long.

If you go to the thread where it was previously discussed and reported to Quicken, at the top right, if you click the star icon, you'll get email notifications fo posts regarding progress on the issue.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.