Has OneStep Update Summary changed?

Recently, the display I get after I run a OneStep Update only shows info for one web connect account. All of my direct connect account connections are no longer shown on the summary. They used to show with 0 transactions and if there were errors, they were listed with a button to try again. I've been through two chat sessions with reps who had me try various things from doing validate, supervalidate, trying an older file, re-installing Quicken, etc. I'm running Win 10 and the latest Quicken release 30.14. Something appears to have changed and there is apparently no way to go back to a prior release. Any info or suggestions will be much appreciated.

Best Answer

• qus1992
    qus1992 Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    A few weeks ago, my One Step Update Summary window stopped showing any status except the results of the Quotes download. None of my accounts that use either the Express Web Connect or Direct Connect methods were displaying any status following One Step Updates. As well, the Accounts List window was showing “Not Available” for all the accounts in the Last Download Column and each account register and there was no Last Download Date and Time (and connection method) being displayed under the account name at the top left corner of the register.

After unsuccessfully trying to get help from Quicken Support, I decided to tackle the issue myself. Here is how I fixed the issues and now am getting One Step Update status, last download status on the Account List and account registers, etc.

First, I went into each and every connected account and deactivated online services. I also went into the General Tab for each account and removed the Account Number and Customer Id as I deactivated each account. I then went into the Online Center, pressed and held the Control and Shift keys while selecting the Contact Info menu option with my mouse. This opened the Refresh Online Transaction Information window. In this window, I then selected the first download account in the dropdown list, selected the checkboxes for Financial Institutions Branding and Profile and Download FI List, and then selected Refresh. I repeated this same process for all of the accounts that I download.

Next, I closed Quicken. Then, using the file explorer, I went to c:\users\{Windows User Account}\AppData\Roaming\Quicken\Log and renamed the qw.log file to “old-qw.log”. By the way, my file was 5GB! I have been using Quicken since 1992, so I am assuming it has grown this large over the years.
    Next, I went into the Control Panel and uninstalled Quicken. I then logged in to my Quicken.com account and downloaded and re-installed Quicken. I opened Quicken and my data file and ran a File Validation on my Quicken file and found no errors.

Next, I activated online services for my first Express Web Connect method account. After successfully activating the account, I checked the Account List and also ran a One Step Update to ensure that I was seeing the proper Last Download and One Step Update Summary statuses.

I then added the remaining Express Web Connects accounts first and then all the Direct Connect accounts, doing One Step Updates in between to make sure I kept seeing the proper statuses. Everything is working as normal again.

Answers

• Red Raider
    Red Raider Member ✭✭
    You just answered the magic question: How do I go back to R30.10 and dump this 30.14 which has totally messed up my down loads from Merrill Lynch. Does anyone know how to revert back to Rel 30.10?
  • Roger M
    Roger M Member ✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone know how to revert back to Rel 30.10?
    http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-subscription-patches.html

Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription **** Windows 10 Home *** Quicken user since 1996
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    To revert to an earlier release, I suggest you perform a clean uninstall, install while disconnected from the internet, update by applying the appropriate Mondo Patch, and restoring a data file saved prior to updating from the earlier patch release.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken. To update Quicken, I recommend you download and apply the appropriate Mondo Patch: https://www.quicken.com/support/patching-updates-windows or http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html

To prevent Quicken from applying an update without your approval, I suggest you set Windows UAC settings appropriately (choose default or always notify).
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Recently, the display I get after I run a OneStep Update only shows info for one web connect account. All of my direct connect account connections are no longer shown on the summary.
    I have noticed this anomoly as well.... I'm on R29.22 -
    It appears, to me, that the One Step Update is now running in sessions, with one going after the EWC connections, and one going after the Direct Connect.  Depending upon how things are updated, you will see the last run session....
    You can play with the checkbox on/off at the bottom of the Update Summary -
    to show "Just the last update"
    And - you can always check at the top of the Account Register
    to see the Last Download.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Barry Berkov
    Barry Berkov Member ✭✭
    Thanks to all who responded.

I tried unsuccessfully to install the prior version and I couldn't figure out how to use qcleanui.exe but the process of uninstalling Quicken, trying to use the suggested tools, and reinstalling using the link from my subscription account seems to have cleared up the problem. If it returns, I'll see about a more thorough uninstall. Presumably I could delete the support directories and files and create a situation where it would be like installing on a computer that had never run Quicken before. I continue to run into update issues with Quicken server errors reported for certain accounts or receiving unexpected data but those are separate issues.

Separately, if you ever go to the support chat and wind up with "Lucy," I suggested you find another rep. She tried to suggest that my use of OneDrive was a possible source of the issues I was having. I had a hard time getting her to undersand that I was accessing a local copy and not trying to access something directly in the cloud. After wasting a lot of time, I ended the chat session.
  • qus1992
    qus1992 Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    A few weeks ago, my One Step Update Summary window stopped showing any status except the results of the Quotes download. None of my accounts that use either the Express Web Connect or Direct Connect methods were displaying any status following One Step Updates. As well, the Accounts List window was showing “Not Available” for all the accounts in the Last Download Column and each account register and there was no Last Download Date and Time (and connection method) being displayed under the account name at the top left corner of the register.

After unsuccessfully trying to get help from Quicken Support, I decided to tackle the issue myself. Here is how I fixed the issues and now am getting One Step Update status, last download status on the Account List and account registers, etc.

First, I went into each and every connected account and deactivated online services. I also went into the General Tab for each account and removed the Account Number and Customer Id as I deactivated each account. I then went into the Online Center, pressed and held the Control and Shift keys while selecting the Contact Info menu option with my mouse. This opened the Refresh Online Transaction Information window. In this window, I then selected the first download account in the dropdown list, selected the checkboxes for Financial Institutions Branding and Profile and Download FI List, and then selected Refresh. I repeated this same process for all of the accounts that I download.

Next, I closed Quicken. Then, using the file explorer, I went to c:\users\{Windows User Account}\AppData\Roaming\Quicken\Log and renamed the qw.log file to “old-qw.log”. By the way, my file was 5GB! I have been using Quicken since 1992, so I am assuming it has grown this large over the years.
    Next, I went into the Control Panel and uninstalled Quicken. I then logged in to my Quicken.com account and downloaded and re-installed Quicken. I opened Quicken and my data file and ran a File Validation on my Quicken file and found no errors.

Next, I activated online services for my first Express Web Connect method account. After successfully activating the account, I checked the Account List and also ran a One Step Update to ensure that I was seeing the proper Last Download and One Step Update Summary statuses.

I then added the remaining Express Web Connects accounts first and then all the Direct Connect accounts, doing One Step Updates in between to make sure I kept seeing the proper statuses. Everything is working as normal again.
  • darbusa
    darbusa Member ✭✭✭
    I'm having the same problem ever since an update in December 2020 which I am sure caused the issue. I don't know if going through the steps qcs2u would fix my problem or not but why should I have to do that?
    I had a similar problem a while back with my register sorting defaults changing every time I did a one step update. I spent an inordinate amount of time with a support rep who finally said my file was corrupt and I had to start over with a new file. At the point I told him to buzz off as that was not going to happen, I would just live with the issue. Lo and behold, a few weeks later I installed yet another update and suddenly my registers were operating normally again. My point is a bad update caused the problem and Quicken should fix the problem. I am paying for the product every year and I expect the product to work every year. That is not too much to expect.
  • Barry Berkov
    Barry Berkov Member ✭✭
    This is a comment on having a Quicken rep saying your file is corrupt and you have to start over with a new file. I've been told this a couple of times but it's basically an unacceptable answer because you will lose historical entries since you cannot get your history via a QIF file for investment accounts. Additionally, on every occasion so far, the "start over with a new file" really meant either that there was a bug or that the rep couldn't figure out how to solve the problem. If there were a truly viable alternative to Quicken, I'd stop using Quicken in a heartbeat because some of the support staff are, frankly, not high quality. Quicken isn't alone in this regard, but I get really tired of extended chat or phone interactions where it turns out I know more than the support person.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi All,

It is not the Release Number, that is causing the problem.
    In preferences, change yours to match this:

There are two Quicken Connection Channels. One is known as FDS and the other is known as QCS.

QCS does not store the passwords in the Password Vault.

FDS does store the passwords in the Password Vault.

If you have a Virtual Blank One Step Update Summary Screen, switch to the other Quicken Connection Channel, by pressing the F4 Function Key while clicking on About Quicken under Help. See what happens.

QCS Connection Channel works for some Users but not for All Users.

But, I would sent Feedback to Quicken, by going to Help > Report a problem.

Select a category for the problem.
    Subject is optional, but identify your problem.
    Describe the issue / problem you are experiencing.

Include a Sanitized data file. The more information the better to fix the problem.

Questions? It is up to you as to how you like to proceed.

But, what you could do? Do a Manual Backup of your Quicken Data File, before making changes. And do a Manual Backup, before closing Quicken.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• darbusa
    darbusa Member ✭✭✭
    I tried all the above suggestions and no change so I guess reporting a problem that won't get a direct response is my alternative. Maybe when I'm asked to pay my next software fee I'll use it as input to my research...just a snark but shows my frustration with Quicken
This discussion has been closed.