Two stocks in my portfolio don't get price update.

I have two stocks in a 403b in my portfolio for which Quicken won't update their price. I have to go on line and get the price and enter it manually. I have the correct ticker symbols. All my other stock prices update, just not these two. Any thoughts on why this is happening?

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    What are the ticker symbols you are using?
    Have you verified the the securities are checked for Download Quotes?
    Are these mutual fund's whose price quotes post late?
  • wilderpa
    wilderpa Member ✭✭
    The symbols are QREARX and QCSTIX.
    They are both checked for Download Quotes.
    They are both mutual funds, but even if the price quotes post late, wouldn't I still get something, albeit potentially outdated? All my other mutual funds get quote values.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those must be special funds of some sort, not publicly traded in the US. Morningstar does not have quotes for them either.

What are the names of the funds?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • wilderpa
    wilderpa Member ✭✭
    I get their quotes manually from MarketWatch.com or Bloomberg.com
    CREF Stock Account R3
    TIAA Real Estate Account
    They are traded on NASDAQ. If you type the ticker symbols in Google you get lots of hits for sights that will give you the current price.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please look in your Security List and doublecheck the Security Type.
    It must be Mutual Fund. If it's Market Index, download won't work.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    wilderpa said:
    The symbols are QREARX and QCSTIX.
    They are both checked for Download Quotes.
    They are both mutual funds, but even if the price quotes post late, wouldn't I still get something, albeit potentially outdated? All my other mutual funds get quote values.
    I have no difficulty downloading price quotes for either of these mutual funds.

If we attempt to download the price quote for a mutual fund before it is available, we do not still get something, albeit potentially outdated.  We do not receive the price quote until the price is available at the provider.  Some mutual funds post later than others.  

You posted your query at 5:28 pm EST.  I suggest waiting to at least 6 pm.  I typically don't pull the mutual fund quotes until even later in the 
    evening.
  • Jim_Harman
    The funds you mentioned are TIAA-CREF retirement accounts. Yahoo Finance has a price quote for the CREF account but no other info because it is not publicly traded.

If you connect the account to Quicken for downloading, you should get quotes along with the downloads.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like Sherlock, I had no trouble getting those two added as Quicken securities with prices downloaded.  You might try having those securities included in your Watch List (Check box on the Security List - Ctrl-Y), but you may also have some other underlying issue. 

Another check would be to create a new file for test purposes only, and add the two securities there to see the behavior.
  • Jim_Harman
    I also had no trouble adding them to a test file. For the quotes to download, you must have:

Download quotes checked AND (Watch List checked OR (Shares held != 0))
  • DeepDiver
    DeepDiver Member ✭✭
    I have options downloaded from Fidelity. Marked as Options and download. WHY do I have to mark Watch or Shares Held? They are marked Watch also.
    That's ridiculous!
  • wilderpa
    wilderpa Member ✭✭
    Thank you all for your suggestions but nothing is working. Let me offer some additional info. First, I have managed these two funds in Quicken since 2003. They have never updated correctly and I just got tired of doing it manually and thought I'd reach out to the community to see if anyone knew what was going on. So it's not the end of the world if this doesn't get fixed, just a nuisance. I have many other mutual funds that Quicken has no problem managing.

Let me offer up some additional weirdness about how Quicken handles these two funds.

They are in a 403b account and the account is noted that way in Quicken. Because of this, Quicken adds -401K to the fund names. I don't know if this is the root of the problem, but as long as I am using the correct ticker symbol, I don't see why this would matter.

At times, I get a message asking if each of those funds (using their names without -401K) match up with any securities I hold. If I say yes, a list of securities I hold appears for me to match them with, and neither of the funds with the -401K appear in the list.

If I select the option GET HISTORICAL PRICES, all my other securities show up in the list of securities to get prices for, but these two are NOT in the list. And before you ask, NO, they are not "hidden".

And lastly, when I edit security details for these two, Symbol LOOKUP is dithered out, and MATCHED WITH ONLINE SECURITY is unchecked and dithered out.

I am beginning to suspect the problem is somehow related to these being in a 403b/401K account in Quicken.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are in a 403b account and the account is noted that way in Quicken. Because of this, Quicken adds -401K to the fund names. 

Not true.  I have multiple securities that are held in both taxable and retirement accounts (IRAs and 401ks) without having the -401K suffix added.  There is something else going on or that occurred in the past to create this problem.  Also note that there is no requirement that the name you have given the security in Quicken agree with any other source, so the -401K suffix may be a red herring (a non-issue).

In each case, do you have two securities in your Quicken file - one with and one without the '-401K' suffix added to the security name?  

If so, do these two securities share a common ticker (QREARX or QCSTIX as applicable)?   

At times, I get a message asking if each of those funds (using their names without -401K) match up with any securities I hold. If I say yes, a list of securities I hold appears for me to match them with, and neither of the funds with the -401K appear in the list.
    And lastly, when I edit security details for these two, Symbol LOOKUP is dithered out, and MATCHED WITH ONLINE SECURITY is unchecked and dithered out.

"Matched with online security" cannot be checked by the user but when checked, it can be unchecked by the user.  It gets checked by getting the prior paragraph properly resolved.  Getting what the FI says you have matched to what Quicken shows you having.  

That the "Lookup" field is not available is likely related to the Security Type assigned.  What are you showing in the Security Type field?  As previously noted, "Market Index" is not appropriate and could be why the security does not appear as available for a match.  "Bond" is likely also not appropriate and could be why Lookup is not available to you.  "Other" or "Mutual Fund" may be viable selections.

Hope this is progress

• wilderpa
    wilderpa Member ✭✭
    Is there a way for me to send you a pdf file of screen shots?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    wilderpa said:
    Is there a way for me to send you a pdf file of screen shots?
    Drag and drop the pdf file onto the comment text entry box and it should appear as an attachment.
  • wilderpa
    wilderpa Member ✭✭
    I am going to give up on this issue and just continue with by hand updates to the prices of these two securities. The attached pdf of screen shots and comments seems to support your thoughts that this issue may be due to some quirk that happened in the past. This theory is further supported by the fact that we recently added a 401k account for my husband and the Mutual fund in it doesn't require the -401K addition to the name and the price updates correctly. But thanks to all of you for looking into this for me.
  • Jim_Harman
    I have a few of those securities with names that end in "-401K" in an old 401(k) account.

These special securities were (maybe still are?) created by the 401K Update Wizard if you say you are not tracking the number of shares.  Quicken will not let you remove the -401K at the end of the names of these securities.

Search the in-product Help for "-401K" and look in the "Your current 401(k) securities" section for more info.