Lost Custom Transaction Categories

phmassie
phmassie Member ✭✭
I created my own custom transaction categories and sub-categories for my employers benefits I pay for monthly. As I pay one lump amount I then "Split" them into these sub-categories. Typically, I have to come in each month and split the amounts and add the categories. I noticed when I came into Quicken I had something like 23 "Uncategorized" transactions. Most of which were for all of these past entered splits. This time, the monthly lump transaction already had the amounts split out, but all of the categories and sub-categories were gone. when I list my Categories using the menu tool they are no longer listed anywhere.

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Before making any significant changes to a Quicken file, always save a backup: press Ctrl + B

When we restore a Quicken file (select File > Restore and Backup > Restore from Backup File...), we may choose not to overwrite the current Quicken file:

To export the Category List: select File > File Export > QIF File... and only check Category List

To import the QIF File: select File > File Export > QIF File...

Remember, before attempting to restore the Quicken file backup (or open an earlier copy of the Quicken File), delete the Quicken Cloud dataset (aka cloud account) associated with the Quicken file.   Quicken is not resetting the cloud account appropriately at this time.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Before attempting to restore the Quicken file backup (or open an earlier copy of the Quicken File), I suggest deleting the Quicken Cloud dataset (aka cloud account) associated with the Quicken file.  Note: You need to open another Quicken file to delete the appropriate cloud account.  You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows
  • phmassie
    phmassie Member ✭✭
    It appears that it is only this one Category and its Sub-Categories that are lost. If I try to use an older backup version won't it mess up any Categorization I have done for other transactions since then? Is there a way to restore only the Category List?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    phmassie said:
    It appears that it is only this one Category and its Sub-Categories that are lost. If I try to use an older backup version won't it mess up any Categorization I have done for other transactions since then? Is there a way to restore only the Category List?
    A backup file will not have any of the changes made since the backup was saved.

If you can access the desired category list in Quicken file, you may export the category list as a QIF file and import the QIF file to recreate the categories.
  • phmassie
    phmassie Member ✭✭
    Please explain, "If you can access the desired category list in Quicken file, you may export the category list as a QIF file and import the QIF file to recreate the categories." I don't want to accidently overwrite my current Quicken file by inadvertently restoring an older version. How do I get to my old Category List so I can import it as a QIF file? I have not changed my Category list for a long time (not sure how I lost this one Category/Sub-Categories). So, if I can somehow open one of my Backup's without overwriting my current file I should then be able to export just the Category file. How do I do this if you don't mind me asking.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Before making any significant changes to a Quicken file, always save a backup: press Ctrl + B

When we restore a Quicken file (select File > Restore and Backup > Restore from Backup File...), we may choose not to overwrite the current Quicken file:

To export the Category List: select File > File Export > QIF File... and only check Category List

To import the QIF File: select File > File Export > QIF File...

Remember, before attempting to restore the Quicken file backup (or open an earlier copy of the Quicken File), delete the Quicken Cloud dataset (aka cloud account) associated with the Quicken file.   Quicken is not resetting the cloud account appropriately at this time.

• phmassie
    phmassie Member ✭✭
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.