Quicken has become unstable...

Ever since 1/10/2020 Quicken (at least in my case) has become very unstable.  Something happened to my data file and I had to restore it from a backup on 1/10/2020.  Then later in the year the data file exhibited other issues.  See: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7882436/noticed-error-planning-tab-annual-view-budget-categories#latest

That issue resulted in having to create a new data file then restoring from a backup from 12/2/2019 and inputting all of the date from then to the current date.  However two weeks ago the data file would not validate again saying there were many transactions that had to be categorized as unspecified accounts and this was for multiple accounts.  There had been no power outages of surges (I have an industrial surge protection and a UPS)  This time I used QIF files exported then imported into another "new" file.  Again the file validated properly and was fine until this morning.

When I validated the file there were that were deleted with a date from before there were computers but I did not need to take any action???????!!?  There was another problem with a category that was removed (validate did not say which category that was) but giving the so unhelpful hint that I needed to look at my category listing to see what was missing.  Did it also delete the transactions involved with the deleted category?  Nothing was clear about what was done to the data.  I have a large number of categories and subcategories that would make it quite a job to find which one and if the transactions were also deleted how was I to determine which those were?  My current data file goes back to 2007.

I restored my backup from 12/11/2020 to another "new" file.  Validated it and it had the same errors.  Deleted that file and restored the backup from 12/10/2020 to another "new" file validated it and that file validated properly.  I then re-downloaded two days of transactions, validated the file which completed successfully so now I am whole again but for how long?

There seems to be a stability issue that has been introduced a some point during the year.  I was validating the file once a week but now I will be back to doing it daily after each session.  My data file is very complex which requires this.  I do not want to have to enter 13 months of data again.

I have noted multiple threads dealing with the corrupted category and the removed transactions with the date from 1900 I think it was.  Just when I was starting to feel comfortable with Quicken again this happens and I now my trust level is once again very low.

This needs to be looked into sooner rather than later.

Best Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020 Answer ✓
    Before attempting to restore a Quicken file backup (or open an earlier copy of the Quicken File), I suggest deleting the Quicken Cloud dataset (aka cloud account) associated with the Quicken file.  Note: You need to open another Quicken file to delete the appropriate cloud account.  You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows

The other Quicken file needs to have a distinct file identifier so that we may delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file.  For example, you may create a new Quicken file (select File > New Quicken File...) without any accounts, enable sync in preferences so you may view and delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file. 

This is necessary because when we open or restore an another version of the Quicken file with the same file identifier, Quicken is not resetting the cloud account appropriately at this time.  I hope they will let us know when they have addressed this issue, but for now before opening another Quicken file that has the same file identifier embedded, delete the cloud account.  

Note: Only File > New Quicken File... generates a distinct file identifier.  All other forms of creating Quicken file, copy the embedded identifier from another file.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Snowman said:
    I do not use any cloud accounts.  I do not see how this would apply unless I am missing something.
    Quicken does synchronize some data in a Quicken file with a cloud account even when we have never enabled Sync and have never selected any accounts to be sync'd. 
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Snowman said:
    I tried to follow the steps from the link you gave (https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7882436/noticed-error-planning-tab-annual-view-budget-categories#latest) but there is not option to "Edit Dataset Name".  Now what?

We're not able to view the datasets unless sync is enabled (select Edit > Preferences... and Mobile & Web).  I suggested you create a new Quicken file (select File > New Quicken File...) without any accounts, enable sync in preferences so you may view and delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Snowman said:
    Ok I created new file, created a new cloud account, then removed all old cloud accounts.  I then associated my active file to the new account.  Is there any way we will know when they fix this FUBAR situation?
    That isn't exactly what I suggested you do.  I suggested you delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file before opening another Quicken file that has the same file identifier (such as a backup or copy).  When you open the Quicken file, the cloud account is automatically recreated.

The moderators haven't provided an announcement for the reset issue we could bookmark. I do hope to learn when it is resolved because it is a real pain.  I suspect the reset issue has been present for sometime but became worse with the migration from FDS to QCS.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Snowman said:
    I had 5 cloud accounts which I deleted, created a new cloud account using the File>Create New Account, created the new cloud account, then associated the active file to the new account.  I guess that in the end was the outcome we were looking for.

What FDS and QCS?  I am unfamiliar with those....
    There is no File>Create New Account that I'm aware of.

There is difference between a Quicken file and a cloud account.

In March, Quicken started migrating Quicken for Windows users from the FDS communication channel to the QCS communication channel.  Their advertised motivation for the transition was to improve security and reliability by having Quicken Windows tunnel all network communication through Quicken Cloud Service servers.   You can find the discussions regarding some of the issues at: https://community.quicken.com/search?Page=&adv=0&author=&cat=all&comment_answer=1&comment_comment=1&date=&discussion_discussion=1&discussion_idea=1&discussion_question=1&followedcats=0&search=FDS%2BQCS&subcats=1&tags=&title=&within=1+day

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Before attempting to restore a Quicken file backup (or open an earlier copy of the Quicken File), I suggest deleting the Quicken Cloud dataset (aka cloud account) associated with the Quicken file.  Note: You need to open another Quicken file to delete the appropriate cloud account.  You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows

The other Quicken file needs to have a distinct file identifier so that we may delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file.  For example, you may create a new Quicken file (select File > New Quicken File...) without any accounts, enable sync in preferences so you may view and delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file. 

This is necessary because when we open or restore an another version of the Quicken file with the same file identifier, Quicken is not resetting the cloud account appropriately at this time.  I hope they will let us know when they have addressed this issue, but for now before opening another Quicken file that has the same file identifier embedded, delete the cloud account.  

Note: Only File > New Quicken File... generates a distinct file identifier.  All other forms of creating Quicken file, copy the embedded identifier from another file.
  • Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    I do not use any cloud accounts.  I do not see how this would apply unless I am missing something.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Snowman said:
    Quicken does synchronize some data in a Quicken file with a cloud account even when we have never enabled Sync and have never selected any accounts to be sync'd. 
  • Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    I tried to follow the steps from the link you gave (https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7882436/noticed-error-planning-tab-annual-view-budget-categories#latest) but there is not option to "Edit Dataset Name".  Now what?

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Snowman said:

We're not able to view the datasets unless sync is enabled (select Edit > Preferences... and Mobile & Web).  I suggested you create a new Quicken file (select File > New Quicken File...) without any accounts, enable sync in preferences so you may view and delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file.
  • Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Ok I created new file, created a new cloud account, then removed all old cloud accounts.  I then associated my active file to the new account.  Is there any way we will know when they fix this FUBAR situation?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Snowman said:
    That isn't exactly what I suggested you do.  I suggested you delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file before opening another Quicken file that has the same file identifier (such as a backup or copy).  When you open the Quicken file, the cloud account is automatically recreated.

The moderators haven't provided an announcement for the reset issue we could bookmark. I do hope to learn when it is resolved because it is a real pain.  I suspect the reset issue has been present for sometime but became worse with the migration from FDS to QCS.
  • Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    I had 5 cloud accounts which I deleted, created a new cloud account using the File>Create New Account, created the new cloud account, then associated the active file to the new account.  I guess that in the end was the outcome we were looking for.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Snowman said:

There is no File>Create New Account that I'm aware of.

There is difference between a Quicken file and a cloud account.

In March, Quicken started migrating Quicken for Windows users from the FDS communication channel to the QCS communication channel.  Their advertised motivation for the transition was to improve security and reliability by having Quicken Windows tunnel all network communication through Quicken Cloud Service servers.   You can find the discussions regarding some of the issues at: https://community.quicken.com/search?Page=&adv=0&author=&cat=all&comment_answer=1&comment_comment=1&date=&discussion_discussion=1&discussion_idea=1&discussion_question=1&followedcats=0&search=FDS%2BQCS&subcats=1&tags=&title=&within=1+day

• Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry I meant Create > New File.  Thanks for the information.  Also thanks for the help with this issue, you have helped more than you know!!!
  • Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    Tried the link all I get is nothing found....
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Snowman said:
    Tried the link all I get is nothing found....
    Try it again.
  • Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks it worked that time.
  • Mikeww
    Mikeww Member
    I have the same/ similar problem. Went to post a memorized payroll check transaction and was shocked to see that there was absolutely no data in the Edit Current Paycheck dropdown. I was aghast but what was even weirder than that , when clicking the Open Split transaction window , you could see the display of all the information. I then search for the answer online and was advised to Validate the file. I was pretty confident that this would work because periodically I have issues with tags not associated with a given transaction after a backup. This time , no luck. Nothing changed ! So I checked the log file and got ten pages of records described under the heading - The following Transactions (s) involving transfers appear to be damaged. You should delete them and recreate as appropriate. But what is additionally problematic is that on the transferred to file in the category reads unspecified account. Those accounts have been in my category list for years , what made them disappear ? A previous file from a month and a half ago is ok but I would then have to download and account for probably 1,000 records. If this situation is any different from the existing conversation and can be readily resolved please let me know.
This discussion has been closed.