New Improved Cloud Deleting Split Detail

I had to restore a backup of my data file from 2 days ago, because Quicken removed accounts from my most recent paycheck split, leaving orphaned transactions. After restoring the backup, I performed an OSU to download recent transactions again. OSU now has a banner at the top saying that it's synching my accounts with the new improved cloud service. OK, didn't know about a new cloud service coming, but fine. But when it's done, all of the transactions from the past few months in the synched accounts were deleted, and the accounts now have just what was apparently redownloaded from the financial institutions. All of the split detail is gone, which totally kills paychecks, the transaction dates are now what was downloaded rather than the date I had specified upon entry, and the categories are all defaulted from the memorized transactions rather than what was there before. I've tried doing a full OSU, unchecking the option to sync to cloud, and just updating a single account from Online Center, all with the same results. What is going on? How can I stop this forced data corruption?

Quicken Windows R30.14
Windows 10
Quicken user since 1993

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @bishro Yes that is the trade off.  You get to decide.  Have mobile/web and let it corrupt your data file, or not use it and and have a data file that doesn't get corrupted every time you run One Step Update.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• Sierra117
    Sierra117 Member ✭✭
    This problem has been there for probably more than a week now. Heck, deleting paycheck splits when you have 401k transfers has been a problem for at least a year or two. Quicken knew it; they just don't/can't fix it.

For now, just disable Cloud sync in your OSU and you'll be fine. You can continue downloading your data from financial institutions; it's only the Cloud that's killing everything.
  • bishro
    bishro Member ✭✭
    Thanks, but I had noted that I tried deselecting the cloud sync option in OSU, yet it still happened.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    bishro said:
    Thanks, but I had noted that I tried deselecting the cloud sync option in OSU, yet it still happened.
    Have you ensured that it is off in the preferences?
    Edit -> Preferences -> Mobile & Web -> Sync (off)
    Signature:
  • bishro
    bishro Member ✭✭
    I ended up doing that, but that means I can't enter transactions via mobile at all.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @bishro Yes that is the trade off.  You get to decide.  Have mobile/web and let it corrupt your data file, or not use it and and have a data file that doesn't get corrupted every time you run One Step Update.
    Signature:
  • David37
    David37 Member ✭✭
    Was it because of an update? I didn't follow when the update happened, but for some reason, the details in the split for my paycheck went blank, and a duplicate transfer to my other accounts was created for every weekly paycheck that I got from 6/19 through last week (and the amount that was supposed to stay in the primary account is blank). It sounds like Quicken was aware of this!!!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    David37 said:
    Was it because of an update? I didn't follow when the update happened, but for some reason, the details in the split for my paycheck went blank, and a duplicate transfer to my other accounts was created for every weekly paycheck that I got from 6/19 through last week (and the amount that was supposed to stay in the primary account is blank). It sounds like Quicken was aware of this!!!
    Lets see.  Quicken Mobile sync came out in 2014 for the Quicken 2015 release.
    The first few months there was widespread corruption of people's data files that choose to try it.  After a few months this trickled down to a few reports here and there.

Over the years there have been "spurts" or better or worse, but never "perfect".

The most common "fix" for problems in the "cloud data" is "Reset your cloud account", which sends a new copy (or deleting the data set).  The most common "fix" for problems where it deletes accounts, unreconciles transactions, and other strange things in the Desktop data file, is "restore from a backup".  And now we are being told that every time you do a restore from backup they make another "cloud account data set", and there is a limited amount of them, and the only way to get rid of them is to call Quicken support.

These "syncs" are extremely "powerful" and "dangerous".  It seems like basically the sync can do anything it "wants" to the data file.  Of course it is only suppose to "sync" what one would expect, but all it takes is bug and poof, there goes your data.

They are also currently converting Express Web Connect over to this sync system (not all users at once, it is being done over time), and that might factor into why there are more problems popping up lately, but I don't think you will find any SuperUser on here that uses it for anything other than testing.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    BTW since the sync can affect any part of your data file. It could mess with things in the past transactions or little used feature/data sections and you might not notice it for a long time, making restoring from a backup "difficult".
    Signature:
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Up until few months ago I always thought Reset and Delete [the synced cloud data] did the same thing.  They don't.  In fact if you test them both and pay close attention, you can see the difference in the communication arrows between the two functions' visual behavior.  Tested it many times and Reset corrupted the Memorized Payee List (MPL) every time and Quicken is aware of this bug btw, especially the "split" data being deleted.
    Deleting the cloud dataset on the other hand seems to work fine (by using a Quicken test file) and is the safest way to clean things up.  The sync cloud file will always be there and play a role but our goal should be to keep it "6-ft apart" if we can!  Combining our collective experiences and others on this community suggests to stop using mobile and disabling sync to minimize this data corruption.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• dgerencs
    dgerencs Member ✭✭
    I had similar issue. When I did an update last night - I noticed the banner "your data is being synced to a n improved cloud service". I didn't like that at all because for the last several years I have always had the "sync to cloud" unchekced! Then after the update my main checking account was completely hosed. The balance should have been around $1,000. But it showed over $10,000. I tried to go and see if had somehow screwed up a transaction somewhere - the balance was good about 3-4 months ago (thank goodness I use Excel to do some budgeting and planning and had all my transactions for my main account to there to check). When I started looking to see where something might be off, I noticed a payment to a credit card wasn't there. I went to the credit card and the payment was there but instead of coming from my checking account, it came from itself. For the last four or so months all of the payments were like this. I didn't trouble shoot to see how many other transactions were screwed up. I restored a backup from 3 days prior. Everything looked good. I ran an update again. I checked and I had 2 accounts set to go to the cloud (including the one I noticed an issue with). I removed them from the cloud. I went to preferences -> mobile & web and turned "SYNC" to OFF. I ran an update again and got the same ...sync to "improved" cloud. And BAM data screwed up again!

I restored my backup file AGAIN. Everything looked good. I check to see if I had anything set to sync to the cloud - all account were still removed from cloud. Went back to preferences -> mobile & web and SYNC was turned on so set it back to OFF. This time when I ran the update it seemed to be satisfied that it had already "improved" my cloud and did have that evil banner. This time it appears my data stayed good.

I don't use or want the cloud. Now I'm rather afraid of it. I don't want any lingering data that may be on the cloud. I guess I need to call support to have them remove my files? How do I tell Quicken to never ever put anything in the could and never try sync or do anything at all with cloud. Is turning SYNC to OFF good enough (it wasn't when Quicken wanted to "improve" my cloud)? Or will it be good enough after I manage to get Quicken to remove my existing cloud data file?
  • krinaker
    krinaker Member ✭✭
    I'm in the same boat, and terrified. Tried normal update today, got the "improved sync" banner and found my accounts no longer in balance and a bunch of blue dots with the word "new" in left column of register. These are old transactions that I had correctly entered, but all my corrections are gone. Tried a backup, and again the "improved sync" corrected it. What a ghastly xmas present this is. Any hope to recover the data backed up on my computer and use it without it being corrupted? I'm a long time user and I'm appalled. HELP.
  • Cooper's Dad
    Cooper's Dad Member, Mac Beta Beta
    I agree with all comments above...symptoms, causes/effects, best practice being to shutdown Cloud Sync (and therefore Quicken Mobile too), frustration. However, I'd offer from my own experience that the paycheck detail that we no longer see in the register is still in Quicken. I believe this to be the case because when I run reports such as "How much did I pay to Tax:Federal?" I can still see an entry for every paycheck, even those whose splits can no longer be seen in the register.

Quicken user since the DOS/ 3.5" floppy disk days; migrated to QMac in 2022 for problem-free cloud functionality.

• Richard130
    Richard130 Member ✭✭
    Wow. Thanks for the info. I just got the 'sync cloud' progress bar and then my accounts were all screwed up. Categories from stuff from 3 months ago missing. Transactions missing. Balances off. Someone should mention to Quicken that is horrible. I turned sync off and restored and then had to turn sync off again. I remember the good old days where I could log into quicken online and just see my investments daily performance. Now apparently online is just best avoided. Thanks @Chris_QPW !!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I remember the good old days where I could log into quicken online and just see my investments daily performance. 
    The online portfolio is still there and wouldn't cause such problems since it is just a upload of your securities to the website.

Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with all comments above...symptoms, causes/effects, best practice being to shutdown Cloud Sync (and therefore Quicken Mobile too), frustration. However, I'd offer from my own experience that the paycheck detail that we no longer see in the register is still in Quicken. I believe this to be the case because when I run reports such as "How much did I pay to Tax:Federal?" I can still see an entry for every paycheck, even those whose splits can no longer be seen in the register.
    That is certainly possible.  Given the nature of databases "links to things" can get messed up where as the underline data is still there.  Whether things will come back or not if the find a fix is hard to say.  Personally though if it happened to me I would go to a back and not count on any kind of fix magically restoring my data.  That seldom happens.
    Signature:
  • bishro
    bishro Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the comments. It's a shame we have to choose between accurate data or a feature that they've been promoting for years.
  • LLym
    LLym Member ✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Exact same thing here @bishro . Same problem with losing splits. Has anyone found any official word from Quicken yet? I've been a Quicken user for 25 years and have never seen problems like this before! [Removed-Off Topic/Disruptive]
  • LLym
    LLym Member ✭✭
    FYI, the same problem was reported in a different thread. That thread has updates from Quicken support saying this was logged as an issue and is going to be fixed in a future hotfix.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7884590/after-the-r30-14-update-one-step-update-overwrites-payees-and-categories-edited/p1
  • JoeK
    JoeK Member ✭✭
    When I memorize a transaction with split categories (pay stub with gross plus withholding for taxes, health insurance, etc.) it initially shows in the Memorized Payees list correctly and is labeled as "Spl". But when I close Quicken and restart it, the "Spl" changes to "Dep" and all split lines are missing--only the net deposit is there with no category. This did not use to happen. I am using Widows 10 and all is up to date. Rebooted and restarted everything and the problem persists.
  • JoeK
    JoeK Member ✭✭
    Further details...I discovered that the problem occurs when I close Quicken and say "Yes" to the "Sync with Quicken Cloud?" dialog. I tried deleting the memorized payee and syncing with the cloud, then re-adding it. I could close and reopen Quicken without losing the split categories as long as I did not sync with the cloud. Once I did sync, however, the splits went away and the payee changed to just "Dep".
  • Rob J
    Rob J Member ✭✭
    Same issue here - every time I sync, my memorized transactions with split categories either lose the categories - in the case of deposits, or revert back to only one category in the case of expenses. Something broke with the last update as this has been happening ever since. Version R28.15. I did report though 'Report a Problem'.
  • JoeK
    JoeK Member ✭✭
    Thank you for confirming. Hopefully it will be fixed in a future release.
  • Linda
    Linda Member ✭✭
    thanks Chris. I did not realize that one needs to turn off synch in Edit>preferences. That worked. Not synching is better than lost data. Waiting anxiously for hotfix...
  • tnmats
    tnmats Member ✭✭✭
    So it isn't just me seeing this, I also have the 5 locked items for my credit card payments also screwed up. I noticed in my memorized payees list that nearly every "Last Used" date is the day I applied the R30.21patch, not to mention some of the payees are showing as deposits and not payments.

This is why I hate applying patches to Quicken, it ALWAYS breaks something.
  • jfclague
    jfclague Member ✭✭✭✭
    This have been an issue for the past several updates.
  • Cenolar
    Cenolar Member ✭✭
    edited February 2021
    I always keep Mobile sync off because it wipes out all the paycheck entries when it syncs. This has been a problem for years and no one seems to want to fix it. With the latest update, it turned on mobile sync on its own even though I had it off and once again wiped out my paycheck information. On top of that with this latest update, my bank account which I just balanced 8 days ago is now $5k off!

This software gets worse and worse. I don't trust it anymore. I have been a user for years. I thought Intuit was bad.

[removed - no soliciting]
  • Tomara
    Tomara Member ✭✭
    Just noticed this issue today. I don’t ever sync to the cloud. Last week there was a issue with my bank and the One Step Update (bank made changes and I was forced to reconnect all of my accounts). When I reconnected it automatically wanted to do a cloud sync. I said no and it tried to anyway.

Today I went to look at some paycheck data (always in a split) and all I had was the total deposit. Also today, several of my split transfers are missing (transactions appear in both transfer accounts but the tags and “link” is missing).

These issues don’t impact my balances but they severely impact my reports. My backups don’t go back far enough to fix this since I just noticed it today. (Ugh!)

My question for Quicken: even if the issue is fixed, is there a way to get my split-data back?
  • Mike29T
    Mike29T Member ✭✭
    The download procedure for USAA bank has been modified and users need to relink their USAA account to their register. I did that successfully, then Quicken automatically downloaded transactions.

I enter my paychecks, which are deposited to my checking account at USAA, using the paycheck entry form. I noticed all the paychecks from mid-November on were corrupted by the relinking of the account and then download. They have 0's in categories (Earnings, Taxes, etc) and all the entries within the categories are gone! The weird thing is not all paychecks were corrupted (at least not for me), just those since mid-November.

Has anyone else seen this?
  • Just Me and Not Someone Else
    Just Me and Not Someone Else Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    I had this problem recently when my Quicken file uploaded to the "new synch" feature and there are a couple other posts in the community where users have experienced similar problems; not necessarily with USAA.  I had to restore a backup to get my paycheck details back.  

See other post titled:  

After R31.12 update - My Paycheck Splits were wiped out

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Tomara

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to ask your question, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

To answer your question, any fix released to correct this issue would prevent this behavior from reoccurring. However, the fix will not replace any data affected by the issue.

You would want to restore a backup from prior to this issue occurring. As you mention that you are unable to do this, you would be looking at correcting this data manually.

I apologize for not having better news.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
This discussion has been closed.