Best way to present a large list of bugs and issues with Quicken

I've been using Quicken since the early 90's. I love the software and find it extremely useful to help me manage my finances efficiently. However, there are a few things that drive me nuts about Quicken. If they would fix these oddities about the product, I (and I think many others) would be much happier. My list is currently up to almost 20. Some are minor cosmetic issues, others are more significant functionality problems.

When I upgraded from Quicken 2017 to 2020 last year, because I was forced to by the subscription policy (which is a whole other topic of discussion), the user interface essentially looks essentially the same. There is some comfort in knowing that your user interface isn't changing regularly, but they also leave a lot of the annoying behaviors that probably come from this product being 30+ years old. Those are the things I wish they would change/fix.

So my question. Any thoughts on how to best present what I am affectionately calling my "List of Quicken Grievances"? :D Should I just post it as one list here in the community under "Errors and Troubleshooting"? Should I put them in as separate "Ideas" in the community? Looking for suggestions.

Quicken Deluxe, Version R49.29, Build 27.1.49.29
Windows 10 Version 22H2 (OS Build 19045.2965)

Best Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I agree with the last two comments, a separate idea for each is best, and I'm going to add try searching for each before posting since the idea might have already been posted and you can just add your vote to it.

If you select the "down triangle" in the search box you can search just the ideas.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Should the bugs be "ideas" as well, or should they just get posted in the discussion groups.
    I would be inclined to submit it with Help -> Submit a problem, and post it as a discussion here.  And I would state in the title or first post that you think it is a bug and how to reproduce it.

The only reason I can think of to make it an idea is if you think a lot of people will vote on it and as such maybe all the attention will up its priority.
    Signature:

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    With that long of a list I'd probably post the list itself.  The would elicit discussion and feedback and might result in a consensus of what items should be elevated to "Ideas" and what items just aren't considered that important.
    This is a very old product one common problem with implementing changes in the program is that very commonly something else gets broken. 
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be inclined to post each of the significant items separately, and the cosmetic items as a group.
    The cosmetic items probably won't get much discussion, but EACH of the significant items will probably get quite a bit of traffic.  And when there's multiple "topics" in a single thread (let alone a single message), things tend to get confusing.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with @NotACPA . Multiple issues can turn a forum thread into spaghetti.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I agree with the last two comments, a separate idea for each is best, and I'm going to add try searching for each before posting since the idea might have already been posted and you can just add your vote to it.

If you select the "down triangle" in the search box you can search just the ideas.
    Signature:
  • Brian Biggs
    Brian Biggs Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Thanks for the feedback. I've started posting some ideas out there, where I can't find matches for what I'm suggesting.

Should the bugs be "ideas" as well, or should they just get posted in the discussion groups.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I would be inclined to submit it with Help -> Submit a problem, and post it as a discussion here.  And I would state in the title or first post that you think it is a bug and how to reproduce it.

The only reason I can think of to make it an idea is if you think a lot of people will vote on it and as such maybe all the attention will up its priority.
    Signature:
  • Brian Biggs
    Brian Biggs Member ✭✭✭✭
    Good point about Help -> Report a problem. Honestly, I didn't know that was even an option. Duh. :blush:

This discussion has been closed.