Where does my Data File go - I need to put it back

Gotom
Gotom Member ✭✭✭
There was a problem - my Data File was found in the Trash. It's now on the
desktop and I want to put it in the right place. Where should it go?
Thanks, Tom

Best Answers

• MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    You can put it wherever you like.  The QMac default location is Users > [yourname] > Library > Application Support > Quicken > Documents

But, you can put the file anywhere you like.  Personally, I dislike the default - Quicken is the only non-Apple app I have that doesn't keep data files in my Documents (or Pictures, etc) folder where they are easy to find and back up.  I do an automated back up of my Documents folder to an external drive so that I always have a readily usable copy of all documents beside my Time Machine backup.  Some might do a cloud backup of Documents.  I find it much more convenient to keep my Quicken data file in a subfolder of Documents.

By the way, the Library folder is hidden to protect it. In Finder, use the Go menu and select Go to folder.  In the folder box paste ~/Library then click Go.  The tilde is essential - that signifies your personal user account home folder.   Now you can navigate the rest of the way to the default location.

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Just don't put the file in a folder that is being synced to iCloud Drive, Dropbox, etc. This is not supported and can cause unexpected problem that may not crop up for weeks, months or even years.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    You can put it wherever you like.  The QMac default location is Users > [yourname] > Library > Application Support > Quicken > Documents

But, you can put the file anywhere you like.  Personally, I dislike the default - Quicken is the only non-Apple app I have that doesn't keep data files in my Documents (or Pictures, etc) folder where they are easy to find and back up.  I do an automated back up of my Documents folder to an external drive so that I always have a readily usable copy of all documents beside my Time Machine backup.  Some might do a cloud backup of Documents.  I find it much more convenient to keep my Quicken data file in a subfolder of Documents.

By the way, the Library folder is hidden to protect it. In Finder, use the Go menu and select Go to folder.  In the folder box paste ~/Library then click Go.  The tilde is essential - that signifies your personal user account home folder.   Now you can navigate the rest of the way to the default location.

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• Gotom
    Gotom Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks Karl - I understand - and that was a really good explanation!
    You keep your data file where you reach for it - that's how you keep such a crucial file backed up. I myself rely on the Time Machine and the automatic backups. TM goes on an external network drive cabled to my old Time Capsule; it still works for me as there's a solid internet feed here. Thank you very much for taking the time for a helpful reply!
    Tom Meade
    Pacific Palisades, CA
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Just don't put the file in a folder that is being synced to iCloud Drive, Dropbox, etc. This is not supported and can cause unexpected problem that may not crop up for weeks, months or even years.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Gotom
    Gotom Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you Rick!!
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Building on what Rick wrote, you should check your Mac System Preferences > iCloud to see if iCloud Drive is checked. If not, you're good. If yes, then click Options and make sure the Desktop & Documents Folders checkbox is NOT checked. Some people don't even know this is turned on.

If you do have Desktop & Documents on iCloud, and you like it, an easy solution for Quicken is to create a Quicken folder inside your Users folder -- at the same level as Applications, Desktop, Documents, Music, etc.  Easy to access, but not touched by iCloud.

Regarding your Trash, one other thing to note: every time you update Quick3en to a new release, the installer puts the old version in the Trash -- so you can get back to it if something goes south with the new install. So if you see Quicken files like "Quicken (600.37045.100).app" in the Trash, it's perfectly normal.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.