Change Account Type

RLBernier
RLBernier Member ✭✭
When I "created" my accounts, Quicken made the determination that my "Money Market Savings" account is a "checking" account - it is not. How do I change the account type from Checking to Savings. The incorrect account type is causing my account balances to be combined on Quicken mobile.

Best Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi again @RLBernier,

In that case, I would suggest that you go into the old account and deactivate all online services of BOA.  Also, edit the old account on the "Account Details" General tab to remove the Account Number, Routing Number, and Customer ID.

Then exit from the Quicken program and restart.  Try again to connect the new account to BOA.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• RLBernier
    RLBernier Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @Frankx ,
    Thank you for your assistance. Deleting the account and letting web connect re-establish the connection was the solution. When initially creating the accounts, user is not given an option to select account type for any of the accounts created by bank download. Upon deleting the account and then re-connecting, user was given the ability to select account type for the problem account.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Hi @RLBernier

Unfortunately, you can't just change the "account type" from checking to savings. But, the workaround for that would be to:
    1) make a backup of your file (in case something goes wrong)
    2) create a new account in Quicken - setup from the beginning as a "Savings" type,
    3) then you can move the transactions from the current "Checking" type account to the new account. 
    4) once all transactions are moved - delete the account.

The quickest way to move all the transactions at once is to: 
    a) click on the first (i.e. the oldest) transaction in the current "Checking" account register so that it is highlighted;
    b) hold down on the "shift" key;
    c) page down to the last transaction in the register and "right click" on that and select "move transactions":
    d) go to the new "Savings" account register > "right click" on the first empty transaction and select "paste transactions"

Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• RLBernier
    RLBernier Member ✭✭
    @Frankx ,
    Thank you for your response, but that isn’t working. I am using Bank of America and Web Connect with Quicken. Quicken is not letting me create an “online” account manually and via web connect, Quicken insists that the account type is checking.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi again @RLBernier,

In that case, I would suggest that you go into the old account and deactivate all online services of BOA.  Also, edit the old account on the "Account Details" General tab to remove the Account Number, Routing Number, and Customer ID.

Then exit from the Quicken program and restart.  Try again to connect the new account to BOA.

Frankx

• RLBernier
    RLBernier Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @Frankx ,
    Thank you for your assistance. Deleting the account and letting web connect re-establish the connection was the solution. When initially creating the accounts, user is not given an option to select account type for any of the accounts created by bank download. Upon deleting the account and then re-connecting, user was given the ability to select account type for the problem account.
This discussion has been closed.