Can Tabs be added to the Budget window

When working on a budget, specifically to review where an anomaly has occurred, it would be very helpful to be able to open a F/I transaction window in a tab alongside the budget window.  This would allow easy research into a budget problem without having to constantly go through the process of clicking the month in the budget to view payments, then click the payment to go to a separate F/I transaction window where the research is going to be done.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    @jobworker Quicken Mac supports tabbed windows, but only to a limited degree. It seems to me that they haven't paid attention to this with the latest design revamp in Quicken Mac 6.0. 

But there's good news: you can achieve what you want -- it's just a little convoluted.
    • Open your budget.
    • View > Open in New Window
    • Once a separate window is open, you can select View > Show All Tabs
    • Double click an account in the left sidebar to open it in a new window.
    • Position the Budget window and the account window so you can see the tops of both of them.
    • Drag the tab bar of one of the windows onto the tab bar of the other window; Quicken will merge them into a single window with tabs.
    • You can repeat opening other account windows and merging them into the tabbed window for as many accounts as you want. 
    So it takes a few seconds and steps to arrange the windows the way you want, but it can be done. :)

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @jobworker

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to ask your question, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

If by F/I transaction window you are meaning the account transaction window. There is an option to open an account in a pop-up window. This can then be compared side by side to the budget

This can be done by double-clicking on the account from the account list. Does this work to show you what you are needing to see?

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • jobworker
    jobworker Mac Beta Beta
    Yes I understand what you are saying.  However, if one has a need to have multiple account windows open it gets a bit annoying because they are layered, whereas a tab would be easy to jump to. It's OK though as it was a suggestion which, also, might be more difficult to implement than it is for me to suggest.
    Thanks for the response.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    @jobworker Quicken Mac supports tabbed windows, but only to a limited degree. It seems to me that they haven't paid attention to this with the latest design revamp in Quicken Mac 6.0. 

But there's good news: you can achieve what you want -- it's just a little convoluted.
    • Open your budget.
    • View > Open in New Window
    • Once a separate window is open, you can select View > Show All Tabs
    • Double click an account in the left sidebar to open it in a new window.
    • Position the Budget window and the account window so you can see the tops of both of them.
    • Drag the tab bar of one of the windows onto the tab bar of the other window; Quicken will merge them into a single window with tabs.
    • You can repeat opening other account windows and merging them into the tabbed window for as many accounts as you want. 
    So it takes a few seconds and steps to arrange the windows the way you want, but it can be done. :)

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jobworker
    jobworker Mac Beta Beta
    I'm impressed.  I had a little trouble at first merging the windows but once I got the hang of it it is exactly what I was looking for.  I tried it a different way that did not work.
    Thanks a bunch.
  • jobworker
    jobworker Mac Beta Beta

Actually once you have opened the budget as a separate window you can open other accounts using "Open in New Window" and use the "Merge All Windows" in the WINDOWS menu and those accounts will all merge with the Budget window.
This discussion has been closed.